Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-skier with baby: what to do in Oz-en-Oisans?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our party is going to Oz-en-Oisans (part of Alpe d-Huez) for a week at the end of March.
We'll be taking it in turns to stay back at the accomodation and look after the baby which comes as an inherent part of this group, as she's not yet up to skiing, being only 9 months old.

We'll probably have a switchover of minder around lunchtime most days so no-one misses their snow fix.

Any suggestions for what to do - baby + minder - in Oz?

Also, any thoughts on tactics for lift passes?
Officially I guess each adult will need a pass even though at any one time there'll always be a person back at base not using their pass. Is this the case?
Does anyone have recent (ie this year) experience they can share of how the lift passes work in the ADH area?

Thanks in advance for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Officially I guess each adult will need a pass even though at any one time there'll always be a person back at base not using their pass. Is this the case?

Yes.

Quite a lot of the things you'd do with a 9 month old baby in a ski resort are the same things you'd do with them at home. Feed them, change them, entertain them, make sure they don't electrocute themselves or bang their heads or destroy the decor (assuming they're crawling....), get them to have naps, perhaps pop them in a pushchair wrapped up warm and potter round the shops.

Hopefully at the end of March the weather will be quite nice, but that's not a good age for the snow - even on nice days it's a bit cold to crawl on.

Getting a 9 month old wrapped up to go out, then unwrapping them when you come back, will help while away the time.

We have had two grandchildren at exactly that age staying with us. Both enjoyed short spells of toboganning but that needs two adults, ideally - you need a catcher and a pusher. You can rent nice little toboganns in resort, with back supports and straps to strap them in. They mostly enjoyed crawling round the apartment emptying out our baskets of little choc bars and trying to work out how to open one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A couple of tips, take a pack of balloons these take up next to no room in your bags and blow them up when you get there.

Another is take (if you have enough space) bucket, spade and sieve like you would use at the beach) then play withthe snow as you would with sand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

play withthe snow as you would with sand.

good call. one of our little ones enjoyed poking a stick into the snow. Kept her happy for hours.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's a non-photo pass surely you'll be able to get away with it quite easily?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
petem77, understand that I am not telling you this.

Your name will be printed on your lift pass, and technically the resort's controllers on the piste could ask you for ID in order to check that you have your own pass. I have never heard of this happening.

Bear in mind that if asked, you might find it hard to explain why, as a chap, you are skiing with a pass made out in a girl's name. Or vice versa.

Controllers generally concentrate on the areas where most fraud occurs - season passes, student/youth tickets, kids, free passes. Holders of standard six-day passes are not often asked for them.

Also bear in mind that in the unlikely event of your getting rumbled you will be hit with a fine of several times the value of the pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:

Your name will be printed on your lift pass, and technically the resort's controllers on the piste could ask you for ID in order to check that you have your own pass. I have never heard of this happening.

alpe d'Huez has a skidata hands free system, your photo flashes up on a terminal that the lift controller can see. controllers get a bonus if they catch people using passes they shouldn't. I wouldn't bother trying to cheat the system myself but the chances of getting caught are probably not huge, as you say.

What do to in Oz? will you have a car? You can drive down to Allemont (free bus too) and have a look at the reservoir or walk around the village and have a coffee in the bar (l'aguille) or even go as far as Rochetaille and look at the roman road or take a trip around Bourg d'Oisans with the pushchair.

You can get the lift over to alpe d'Huez which might be more interesting to walk around.

Oz has absolutely nothing of interest. There is a cinema and a swimming pool.

Remember good sun glasses and sun cream for babies.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Remember good sun glasses and sun cream for babies.

and several pairs of gloves. Not that they'll keep them on - French babies seem to be content to sit and look v cute in their sunglasses, British babies (ours, at any rate) just tear them off and then sit on them or eat them. Or try to tear them off, stretching the elasticated strap, so they snap painfully back onto their nose. Then wail loudly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, I didn't have my photo taken for a 6 day pass at Christmas. Think the photo is just for season passes?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, photos required only for freebies and passes valid all season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's only a couple of shops in Oz, so it won't take long, but getting out for a walkabout is nice enough.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your responses.

Re Passes: My memory from last time (a couple of years back) is that for a 6/7 day adult pass I simply handed over the payment - no photos or even passports needed - and I received a pile of adult passes which were not person specific. But maybe that's changed now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy