Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on Soldeu please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Despite all the doom and gloom from some people on the upcoming seeing, I wondered if people could give me their thoughts on Soldeu please? The skiing, the après, the prices etc.

There will be 4 guys aged 23, all self acclaimed intermediates!

I have only ever skied in France but feel it is time to try elsewhere!!!

Would love us/Canada but considering this is a second trip the prices are a little steep.

Apologies if there's already a lot on Soldeu in another thread.

Many thanks in advance of any comments.

Jono
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a few posts http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1493602&highlight=soldeu#1493602
and
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1658624&highlight=soldeu#1658624
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it that time already?

Four twenty three yo lads? If night life is as important to you as most of your peers, you'd probably be better off in Pas. More 'attractions' there. Now't wrong with Soldeu, but maybe a bit quiet for your age group. JMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head to Pas if it's going to be Andorra would be my advice. I've spent many a happy weeks sliding in Andorra back when it was genuinely inexpensive compared to Alps and as a kid/teenager I wasn't paying. I haven't been back for a while now for a number of reasons mainly the cost and lack of terrian that I'm after. The area pass last time I checked was one of the most expensive going, the heavy smoking everywhere puts some off too.

But for intermediates there's loads of terrain to go at and if you're going for the Apres you'll enjoy the costs relative to France. The Long transfer also put me off returning (I like (1-2hr tops but have a 3 hour drive each end too).

If you quote your budget I'm farily confident you'll also find something in Austria for simlar money. Soll and Mayrhofen tend to offer the cheapest package deals from UK TO's and both offer great sliding with lively Apres and suited to IMO intermediates.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the comments.

Ye i noticed the transfer time, a little different to my 30 minutes from the train station on my january trip!

I also quite fancy Austria, Mayrhofen looks quite good and hear good things. So many places to choose from. All i definately know is i fancy a change from 3V's but still want somewhere with lots of runs etc.

Budget would be circa £1200 all in which should get something decent i'd hope however would obviously happily pay less.

Is it more hotels and apts in Austria as opposed catered chalets in France?

on a side note, skiing was much better when the bill was picked up by the parents!!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have been to Soldeu a few times and agree with everyone else that Pas would be better for a bunch a lads. Even better in my opinion would be Austria, St Anton, Saalbach or Ischgl are all I have been to and would be good for you. You can get reasonable prices in St Anton and Ischgl by staying out of town. prices for drinks much cheaper in Andorra and Austria than France so get to Austria it has the skiing and the nightlife.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaiser846, Has beat me to it I would have suggested all of the above with your budget over Andorra and if I were going with the lads could get 2 weeks out of your budget in fact! Won't get mentioned much but there are some cracking deals about for Switzerland Verbier would be the place to go for lively après and wouldn't be too ruinous if you were in a catered chalet, left field but worth considering.

Andorra doesn't really do the catered chalet as such more chalet hotels. St Anton if you're on the confident side of the intermediate scale and does offer reasonably priced accoms without going miles out. I'm going the end of march all in in a caters chalet £600 but I have my own gear. What did you like/dislike about 3V? It's one of the worlds best especially for what you want - après if you want more of the same just different?

Mayrhofen is great but the gondola to get up and back down annoys some.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like its time to look at other resorts then.

Grizwald, I would love to get two weeks in but already have a week booked in jan, and for the second I am currently building up lieu time for that so no hope of me working that many extra hours before end of march! (unless spending time on snowHead or looking at webcams etc etc counts)

Could u give me details/link of where you are staying please? All of us a fairly confident, sometimes too confident! But it's all good fun.

As for 3V's I have no complaints, it's just it's the only place I've ever skied, through going with parents, staying with friends doing seasons and taking first timers and wanted to know my way around to help them etc. so I just feel its time for a change.

What is it about mayrhofen gondola that annoys people?

In the meantime I will look into resorts recommended as alternatives!

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it that time already?, I'll drop you a PM with the exact details but it's basically a Crystal package, hang about and they'll put some sort of offer on(if there isn't one currently) like a couple of hundred quid off, 2 for 1 lift pass or buy one pass get on half price.

I understand about not being able to do 2 weeks, work does get in the way of so many more interesting things.............

Quick summary of Mayrhofen:

The Gondola issue is that there are no runs back down to the town on the Penken side so as well as getting the gondola up you also have to get it down if it's busy it can become tiresome. (Look at a piste map and you'll see what I mean). You're maybe talking 10-20mins waiting to get up and down but it depends really.

As for general impression, there is plenty to keep most people amused particulary confident intermediates. There are three of four excellent blacks, including Harikiri which is menat to be the steepest pisted run in Austria I believe? Plenty of entertaining reds although the runs are not very long. I like my off piste and there is plenty but doesn't apply to you so won't go into it. You also have the Hintertux glacier and other areas near by, the bus system if very efficient.

Ishgl is probably a better bet than St Anton for on piste skiing, but it's far more expensive getting there you could look at one of the smaller linked towns such as Galtur but it hasn't really taken off with Uk TO's so there isn't a great deal of choice yet. Also look at Solden the apres is up there and some great snow sure sliding. Like anywhre else all resorts have their +'s & -'s it's just finding the one most suited to your group.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
just wanted to stick up for soldeu a little bit! The night life isnt as big as in Pas but there are some great bars in Soldeu!!
The prices for food and drink are much cheaper than in France also, yes the ski pass is a little steep but you get 205km of ski runs. You could get a cheaper holiday there than 1200 for sure.

There are a few places now that are bringing in the no smoking, i know that fat alberts restaurant has been no smoking for a good few years now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy