Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

........ Talk to me About Snowboards.....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All its Danny, geriatric, creaky wobbly old Snoboarder of 51!... luckily just came back from my second snow fix this year and wanted to ask a few questions about snowboards, I have just come back from a Ski Trip where the board I rented looked like a pretty crappy, old as the hills Snowboard, however after riding this board for a week I was struggling to describe what it rides like.......and the Absolute word to sum it up was "forgiving" I know I have ridden previous boards that would have had me off, had i made the same mistakes!!! so, what are the fundamental differences between "Intermediate! or "advanced" boards if any..... thanks in advance Danny
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Danny.
it always use to be the stiffer the board the harder it was to turn and the faster it went usually with some serious sharp edges.
So basically a shorter softer board was more controllable i.e. easier to turn, it would have softer edges which wouldn't dig in and thrown you off (usually catching the heel edge so the back of your head took a huge blow).
The better you got the stiffer the board got and the faster you went, stiffer being more stable , longer board for floating across powder.
But the last few years it all seems to have changed, my friend just bought a new burton custom v rocker, its soft, short, floats on powder, pretty stable, the camber is like a banana and its easy to ride. Got good pop off the tail, The custom i assumed always use to be a good intermediate to expert board but this seemed a peach to have a go on. and I want one. but at £450 for a bare board it can wait.

A good alternative i believe is a DC PBJ (Park Board Jib) from last season. its designed for the park but from all accounts you can use it anywhere as long as its not to steep and icy.

I have an 2009 Head Transit board, 155 so quite short , its 2009 freesstyle board for Int to Expert but i got it half price. It kicked me off a few times in the first year Blush Blush but probably my poor riding at the time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain about the snowboards, really appreciate it. As I seem lucky enough to be getting two to three weeks a season on the slopes, feel it's time to Invest In a my own board. My riding is strictly between the piste markers... Always In a regular stance, never ride switch, like to carve turns across half the traverse of a slope in a slow heel toe heel toe style rather than short radius quick turns... Actually feel more comfortable turning on steels, than bombing along flats.... So any Board recommendations would be Appreciated Danny
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... More comfortable on steeper slopes!!!
.... Do sometimes venture into the off piste... But not a big part of my riding
Also, does the width of a board make a difference? Last weeks board seemed pretty narrow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Read this, it might help.
http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/Pages/AdviceCentre.aspx
There's loads of boards out there, almost too many!
I found the people at The Snowboard Asylum dead helpful and didn't seem to be trying to rip me off, gave me a choice of two out of a wall full, because they knew what would suit me. They were not the most expensive and varied a lot in price. then they walked off and left me to decide between £200 for an ex demo or £400 for brand new, no pressure. Got the ex demo and have loved it, Burton Mayhem158, for 3 years now.
Sort of looking for a new one but thats just because I can, not because I need one, maybe next year.
When you do buy, learn to wax too and do simple repairs, save you a fortune, and makes you popular with mates if you do theirs too.
Happy Hunting Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah a narrower board will be easier to get on to an edge. Just be sure its not too narrow for your boots/stance. Really you should do some reading around the camber/rocker/combination of both profiles that are available. It's fascinating.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're looking for a board which is stable and easy to turn you can look at something with rocker or a tapered shape. I bought a Burton Malolo a couple of years back and although it's primarily designed to give you better float in powder I've started using it as my everyday board. It's stiff enough to hold a good edge, soft enough to forgive the odd mistake but turns very easily. If I were you though I'd look at a Lib Tech board, a skate banana or TRS they are excellent all round boards.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought Never Summer SL for this year, supposed to be fairly easy for turning as it is mix of rocker and camber. Big expectations but not tested yet though.

Had flat camber K2 Darkstar last year and it was definitely more forgiving than traditional cambered board. Many times I felt like catching edge but at the end nothing happened.
Was a bit too long for me anyway so let see what SL will bring in a few weeks.

Check this webiste, lots of reviews and they will look at the turn initiation as well: http://www.thegoodride.com/snowboards/by-name.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kabby, the hire stuff is usually pretty dire, unlike skis.

Quote:
If I were you though I'd look at a Lib Tech board, a skate banana or TRS they are excellent all round boards.

I'm a 48yo 'creaky wobbly old snow boarder' who 3 years ago switched to a Skate Banana, having always rode cambered (mainly Timeless) boards. To say it's transformed my riding maybe a bit of an overstatement, but it's close. It's just so much of a laugh, confidence is a given, and that's half the battle.

Regardless, if you can try to find a local fridge on board test day, and run as many boards as you can, not that it much represents mountain riding, but it'll give you a clue nonetheless. Better still see if you can do it on the hill. A lot of Canadian stores will let you hire multiple boards foc, on the understanding that you'll eventually buy one. No better way to find what suits you now.

Lastly, take any/all hype with a pinch of salt, but you knew that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom W wrote:
Bought Never Summer SL for this year, supposed to be fairly easy for turning as it is mix of rocker and camber. Big expectations but not tested yet though.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. Spent 3 days in Morzine on my SL and very pleased. Seems to carve and hold an edge like my cambered Custom but floats a lot better in the soft stuff. Felt a bit weird at first the way the tips rise a as you unweight but I got use to it.

The only time I caught an edge was practicing 180's. The fact that I was even trying tricks after just a few hours on a new board tells you all you need to know. (I'm not very good and a bit too old for freestyle).

For the OP the SL has rocker between the bindings with camber under foot - a very similar profile to Burton's flying V. The marketing says it gives you the best of both worlds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Ride machete "low rize rocker" and wow its so much easier than a standard cambered board! The only down side was when I was in serre chevalier last year it was really icy and it stuggles holding and edge due to the camber. Its a park board but is still stiff enough to cruise about on the piste.

That said the board before was a Salomon riot and that was a standard camber board. its was a softer board so more forgiving and rode nice.
That said if your more of a piste cruiser you might be better off just sticking with a standard camber board on the medium stiffness.
When looking for boards watch out for burton boards as the new ones have a new binding fixing method which means standard bindings wont fit and you can't get converters!

If you want a decent all round board thats fairly well priced you can't go far wrong with an Atomic Hatchet.

The guy in Bucks Boarding in MK (if your near) is really helpfull and knows his boards inside out. you could even demo a few at the dome!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ryanfitz1981, you can get adapters to run traditional bindings with the Burton ICS boards, but THB you're better off going for their specific bindings if you're going to go that route... That said, i think most of the burton range with ICS are available with the screw system arrangement too should you want to track it down, or at least they used to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thank you all so much for giving me the Info about Snowboards, really appreciate it..... the "skate Banana" is it a make or a style? and i think the thing i am really after guys is a board for on piste..... that really holds a good edge..... as its where i ride most of the time, cheers in advance
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Skate Banana is a Lib-Tech board i think.

Personally I'd get a cambered board rather than a 'Rocker', in the main they hold an edge better.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rogg wrote:
Personally I'd get a cambered board rather than a 'Rocker', in the main they hold an edge better.

Err.........without wanting to re-ignite an old discussion I think I might want to disagree with that.

Less outright stability, yes, which can also be a benefit, though I agree a tad unnerving for a beginner. Less all round grip, no, 'though I accept they don't carve as well, ultimately. But nothing I've ever ridden handles boiler plate as well as a Lib Banana with MT.

However as I've said on a previous thread, my advice would be to probably learn/progress on a cambered board, then maybe try a rocker later, when you're maybe more comfortable.

Anyway, each to their own, and JMO.
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
The Skate Banana is a Lib-Tech board i think.

Correct

Quote:

Open to debate, however I do agree with you. If your after a piste cruiser a regular cambered board around 158-165 (I'm presuming at 51 you've a little 'middle age spread' (I can be so polite!) and so many things go into length, 160 would prob be my recommendation unless your a heavy guy), medium+ stiffness and a sick graphic should do you sound! There are loads of those boards on the market and as your not using the newer tech a 2 or 3 season old 'new' board would be a bargain, see you good for all your riding and take you down that off piste gully that everyone else is taking instead of the usual piste.

Try and get to your local independent shop and see what they have of last seasons boards, even TSA stock 2/3 season old boards.

The next question is bindings!?!
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
rogg wrote:

Err.........without wanting to re-ignite an old discussion I think I might want to disagree with that.

BCjohnny, ha ha. Beat me to it!
snow report
hey I'm only 43 and even though i weigh 14 1/2 stone I surf a lot so most of that is carried around my chest and lats - I'm not spreading at all. I Ride an anthem '62.

I thought it was generally accepted that a cambered board holds better than a non cambered or rockered, that's why lib and others have to 'add' magnetraction (see the jones website where JJ goes on about adding magnetraction to his cam-roc boards to bring back the lost grip -see video here where he refers to 'the drift of rocker' http://jonessnowboards.com/index.php/product/flagship).

edit.......... Laughing Laughing ooops, looked like I missed the last round of this discussion. I'm no expert, just what I'd read/heard. Embarassed
snow report
rogg, at the end of the day I think none of it matters. Most of it seems aimed at selling magazine copy, and the latest trick-of-the week blade. Just ride what you're most comfortable with at your present stage of development and if you're still progressing, aren't we all, keep your mind open.

As suggested by manicpb, I'd advise the OP to look for a decent (peer reviewed) two or three year old new (or lightly used) board of the right size, cambered medium stiffish, and go from there. Hire stuff, though there are exceptions, is usually junk, and overpriced.

Not saying it's the case here but the problem as I see it is when someone's inability to progress becomes just an indictment of the equipment they're using. In that case the best board ever made won't help, though it's a comforting conclusion to come to.

p.s. rogg, are you in Canada soon? Where and when?
snow conditions
Yep I'd agree with a lot of what's been said - don't get anything too stiff or over- long, get a good fast sintered base - and look for some past season bargains. As to rocker or camber, I'd say the right rocker design can make for a very easy, edge free ride - as you prob guessed I ride a lib, and they don't have any probs holding an edge (at least mine doesn't) - but of course they don't generally carve as hard as a cambered board - but the camber/rocker combo designs do deal with that I believe ie newer lib, never summer, button designs
But a lot of it is hype - buy a good brand board of the right flex and with a good base - and the right size - and you'll get on fine with it - better than most hire boards.
Can I also advise the OP to think about a good pair of well fitted boots - the most imply but if kit you buy, bindings IMO are the least impt bit as long as they fit your boots
latest report
I'm in Banff from the 25th Feb for 2 weeks, but might well travel a day or two if it looks right - kicking horse is on the radar for a raid if it snows. If you're around let me know if you fancy a slide or a beer.
snow report
rogg wrote:
I'm in Banff from the 25th Feb for 2 weeks, but might well travel a day or two if it looks right - kicking horse is on the radar for a raid if it snows. If you're around let me know if you fancy a slide or a beer.

Chance we would have been out there pretty much the same time, late deal, but my mate bailed last night after months of being a 'definite', though I kinda guessed it. So I'll have to see how the cards fall...........

KH is a must-do but timing is crucial, as you understand. It gets desperate quickly without freshies. The town of Golden is as Canadian as it gets, warts 'n' all.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
BCjohnny is right about KH. Watch the weather reports while you're in Banff rogg, If it looks like KH has had fresh then get over there for the day and hit the powder bowls and chutes.
snow report
I'll not wade into the debate about style of board. There are loads of options nowadays with different benefits depending how you ride em. The only bit of info i would add is look for a sintered base rather than an extruded base.
snow report
rogg wrote:
I'm no expert, just what I'd read/heard. Embarassed

Honestly, you should ride a rockered mange traction board before forming an opinion.....
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
Tom W wrote:

Don't think you'll be disappointed. Spent 3 days in Morzine on my SL and very pleased. Seems to carve and hold an edge like my cambered Custom but floats a lot better in the soft stuff. Felt a bit weird at first the way the tips rise a as you unweight but I got use to it.

The only time I caught an edge was practicing 180's. The fact that I was even trying tricks after just a few hours on a new board tells you all you need to know. (I'm not very good and a bit too old for freestyle).

For the OP the SL has rocker between the bindings with camber under foot - a very similar profile to Burton's flying V. The marketing says it gives you the best of both worlds.

Good to hear you liked it!! Did read a lot before buying Never Summer SL and it seems to be fairly easy to turn and handle. Hope it is not too stiff.
Wonder how it will ride on flats and narrow cat tracks.
Tempted a bit to go to the fridge and test it might not get time to do it before March trip.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy