Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which UCPA for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I apologise in advance if this looks like all ALL the UCPA posts.

I have got a little more than 5 weeks skiing under my belt but may have progressed a bit quicker than others at the same level (friends says so). I can go down all but the most bumpy or icy reds with ease but struggle a bit on steep and/ or choppy blacks. I ski off the edges of pistes comfortably but apart from that have no real off-piste skills to talk about. I want to improve my technique all around and become a better all-round skier.

I have a week off in March and think UCPA, with their full-time instruction fit the bill.Val T, La Plagne, Flaine, Argentiere, Chamomix all offer full time instruction for the dates I'm looking at. I want to know which area would be best in terms of variety and skiability (is there such a word?). I am not overly fussed about apres-ski though enjoy a drink or two soon after coming off the slopes. I have been to La Plagne and 3V before and enjoyed both areas tremendously in terms of the challenges provided.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-01-12 18:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any of them resorts would suit you well.

The only resort I know well out of them though is Flaine. There are a few very difficult blacks like Diamont Noir and Aigle Noir which would be good for you to improve and gers is very good for offf piste on however the off piste in flaine generally has a lot of crevasse/holes in the rocks and hardly any tree skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you really want to push yourself, especially off piste, I would go to Argentiere.

Best all round option would be La Plagne IMO, as it is has the best overall mix.

The only one of those I haven't been is Flaine, which I've never seen the need to go to, which I guess tells it's own story. Apologies to anybody who really likes Flaine. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Rishie, I would broadly agree with Hutchy.

You may want to try somewhere new so Flaine may be bottom of your list, however, it is the most comfortable centre and if you are looking to start off-piste properly, may be a good options - there is a large 'patrolled' bowl close to the centre where you can pick up some good experience just a bit beyond the 'side of the piste' challenge.

La Plagne is a great centre - right on the piste in Plagne Centre and the staff are great. I did my first 'trek up the ridge' to an off-piste run in a confirme group at La Plagne and there was plenty to play around on a little boyond the side of the piste too as well as some challenging red and black runs. You'll not spend all of your time off-piste is you are with a confirme group although you will progress to it quickly through the week - if in maitresse, you will do less off-piste and more technique learning throughout the week - ultimately, you'll end up in a group of skiers of very similar ability to yourself.

I've not skied Argentiere or Chamonix (although I'm hoping to put the latter right thsi season). However, I do know that the Argentiere centre is not one of the best - I've heard the rooms are quite cramped, however, my firends that have stayed they like the village and the friendliness of the centre. And Chamonix is right in the centre of town so if nightlife is important to you as well as skiing a different area of the resort everyday, this would be my choice.

I would have a chat to the guys at www.Action-Outdoors.co.uk before you book and see what they advise, but with any of those four being great for taking your ability up a notch, I would think about what else is important to you in a holiday and make your choice on those aspects. They'll also be able to let you know how many other UK clients are booked into the centres during those weeks, if sharing with other English speakers is important to you.

Oh, and as a Snowhead, you can get £10 off if you book online - just use SP2010 in the discount code box.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rishie, Have been to Flaine this year, and Argentiere last, both times doing off-piste instruction. Flaine is much more comfortable, and much more convenient for the skiing. There are a lot less people doing off-piste at Flaine, only one group last week, but the instructer was excellent. One advantage of Flaine over Argentiere is that it is less popular for offpiste, so the instructer could still find us virgin powder a week after the last snowfall - that would be a challenge in the Chamonix valley.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all of you. I really appreciate the responses. I have now got myself some homework to do and will speak with the people at Action Outdoors to make a decision. I'll update this thread when I have made a decision. Thanks again! Very Happy

edit: Just spoke to a lovely, helpful lady at Action Outdoors. (Helpful at 6pm, wowee!!!). Discussed bits and bobs and am leaning towards Argentiere. Hm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After a bit of research and more talking to the nice lady at AP, I've booked in at Argentiere for a week from the 3rd of March. Managed to convince a friend to come along too, although he is doing the off-piste bit. Anyone wanting to catch up for a few beers, get in touch! Very Happy

Thank you everyone for your help. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy