Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Ski-Planet.co.uk legit?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
Has anyone been with www.Ski-Planet.co.uk?
and do you know if they are a legitimate company?
Their prices seems a little too good to be true...

Thanks a lot in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A "whois" search brings back the following

Code:

Domain name:
         ski-planet.co.uk

Registrant:
         SKI PLANET

Registrant type:
         Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
         Residence Du Centre
         CHAMPAGNY EN VANOISE
         France

Registrar:
         OVH [Tag = OVH-FR]
         URL: http://www.ovh.com

Relevant dates:
         Registered on: 26-Aug-2004
         Renewal date:  26-Aug-2012
         Last updated:  16-Mar-2011

Registration status:
         Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
         ns220372.ovh.net
         sdns2.ovh.net

WHOIS lookup made at 19:04:51 24-Jan-2012

Not heard of them personally - looks like a french outfir who;ve got an english version of their website. Snowtrex have similarly low headline prices - maybe the prices are right and we're being royally shafted by tour ops for flights / transfers / food / resort reps and so on
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know of them and they are legitimate. It is run by a guy called Alfred Ruffier-Monet who also owns an estate agents called RMP Immobilier based in Bozel. He has been around for years, he was involved in a lot of the building work in Champagny and Bozel when they were being developed. We bought our studio from him and our French teacher bought her chalet from him and she also advertises it with him on ski planet

I think you will find the main website is aimed at the French market and the prices reflect what the French will pay for a holiday.

As nbt, rightly says maybe the prices are right and we're being royally shafted by tour ops for flights / transfers / food / resort reps and so on
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Their prices seems a little too good to be true...

declan2ski, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Can you give an example of what you mean by "too good to be true"? They don't include travel/transfers. I've just googled a few at random, look about what you'd expect to me - and they have quite a range of accommodation, from small and cheap to bigger and more expensive.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot !
I looked at a few chalets/apartments with ski hire and ski passes and it just seemed a little cheap to be honest.
But perhaps I've just been paying more in the past!!
Are snowtrex fairly reliable too then?

Thanks all!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
declan2ski, if you're used to TO packages you might be surprised how much extra you pay for travel and transfers (if you get cheap flights, transfers are often more expensive than the flights).

Those costs might bring the total up to something closer to what you're used to.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much for your advice.
My only dilemma is getting to the resort from the airport, do you know if you can get a taxi or coach up the mountain easily and roughly what you might look to pay for that?
Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi declan2ski and welcome to snowHead S

If you tell us which airport and resort I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice on transfers......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh great I'm hoping to get transfers from Geneva airport. I don't no where to yet, but likely the 3 vallies.
...and anytime during march!
If anyone has any ideas of price or a website you can find out on that would be fab!
thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
declan2ski, roughly £100 return each, I'd say, from Geneva to the 3 Valleys.

It will be French school hols till mid-March, and accommodation rental prices will drop after that. Week beginning 10 March. Pistes will be much quieter, too.

If there are 4 of you the cheapest way might be to hire a car and drive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's great thanks a lot for you help!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
declan2ski, Just did a couple of test quotes,for areas that I know well,and I cant say it looks particulary special to me.As pam w, rightly says,chuck in flights and transfers and the cost soon racks up.And if there are 4,it would deffo be cheaper to hire a car,plus it gives you greater flexability.
Although a confirmed DIY'er,I'm finding it increasingly difficult to beat TO prices.Would suggest you do your sums before you dive in wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
declan2ski, Have a look at www.altibus.com for bus transfers from Geneva. Train fares are usually cheaper but more of a hassle from Geneva airport. Have a look at www.sncf.fr for train fares.
As pam w, and snowskisnow, mention, for 2 or more people it is usually cheaper to rent a car than pay for transfers, we use a car hire comparison site (www.carrentals.co.uk) to find the best deals.

Before booking flights it is worth looking at the transfer options from the airport to your resort. Sometimes the saving you make on flights will be more than offset by the difference in the transfer cost.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 25-01-12 11:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
declan2ski, roughly £100 return each, I'd say, from Geneva to the 3 Valleys.

dudes

much cheaper
with a simple google search

ok bye

From Geneva Airport we arrange direct* private shared ski transfers to Val Thorens, Les Menuires, St Jean de Belleville & St Martin de Belleville for £73pp Return and £43pp Single. Groups of 8 or more people will automatically be given 1 seat for free. Please note there is a £5 surcharge for each Sunday you travel on.

http://www.bensbus.co.uk/Val_Thorens_ski_transfers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for bensbus, forgot to mention them. They are a lot cheaper then altibus but they only operate at the weekend and offer a more limited service.

declan2ski, Public transport to the 3 valleys is a lot cheaper from Chambery airport, 30 euros single or 50 euros return. However, there are fewer flights to Chambery and they tend to be more expensive than flights to Geneva. Have a look at www.skyscanner.net to find the best flights.
snow report
Thanks a lot for all your help!
ski holidays
Altibus are a bit hit and miss... Good and cheap when they work but I'd probably avoid them... Bensbus are good though.

Paid 50€ return with Altibus from Chambery to Val Thorens (3V). Outward transfer was alright but back to the airport was a bit dodgy. Not their fault - heavy snow overnight closed roads, but the problem was that I couldn't phone them up to find out what was going on because their lines don't open till 8am. Ended up blagging our way onto a nice Crystal transfer direct to Chambery instead. Bensbus have English transfer reps which makes finding out what's going on easier.

The other thing about Altibus is that you switch coach in Moutiers (fairly standard) but with it being a public bus it's basically a massive free for all with french people pushing in front of you and massive queues. The advertised timings for arrival are a bit "optimistic" as a result.

I think in future I will try to fly to Geneva and use Bensbus (they don't go from Chambery), or try to get enough people to make a private transfer worthwhile.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy