Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rental bindngs - dumb question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's often a lot of talk on here about rental bindings and their deficiencies. So my stupid question of the day is...

Are rental bindings inferior due to;

a) excessive use, abuse and potential poor maintenance?

b) being a different piece of kit to a "purchased" binding?

Have only ever used rental skkis and know virtually nothing about bindings (as you've probably guessed!)

If I were to consider purchasing skis in future how much effort should I put into binding choice? Or should I just go for a "package"?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A more qualified technician than myself will offer a more 'exact' answer, but I would compare it to parts on a car or something like that. A well used car is likely to see it's parts wear out or need replaced quicker. Similarly with Rental bindings, they are being readjusted twice each day with the DIN's screwed up and down more regularly than privately owned bindings.

I believe that Rental shops have an obligation to test a certain percentage of bindings each year. Well maintained and repaired, I'm sure they are fine but they do get adjusted more rather than just abused.

A new Rental binding would be alright for just a package piece of kit - you do get high end Rental stuff, remember! They are probably designed to be easier to adjust etc but they will still hold your boot in and release it at a default.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Tyke wrote:
If I were to consider purchasing skis in future how much effort should I put into binding choice? Or should I just go for a "package"?

If you purchase a complete ski,it will be fitted with the manufacturers binding of choice.All will be perfectly adequate.Many outlets(Sport Conrad being a good example),now offer a choice of binding depending on customer preference,and/or cost.The only place you are likely to come across fitted rental bindings is in resort,when they have a clear out at the end of season.The dissadvantage with rental bindings is 1.They have seen a lot of use,and abuse. 2.Being heavier duty,they are generally heavier than normal bindings.
With skis,and esp bindings,you do tend to get what you pay for IMHO.If you're in no rush,wait till the end of season for possible bargains.Again,Sport Conrad is a good place to start,as they often drop out skis at a massive discount,have a look here.. http://www.sport-conrad.com/sale/865/
Not much choice at the moment,that will change in a month or two wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rental bindings are heavier than non-rental bindings, but it's not because they are 'heavier duty'. Rather it is because they have to cope with a much larger range of length adjustment.

Most of the length adjustment in a rental binding is done in the rear part of the binding, with a smaller (or no) range of adjustment at the front. A consequence of this is that, if you foot is unusually long or short compared to the typical range for that length of ski, then it's likely that your foot will end up further back or forward than it would ideally be
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
viv wrote:
Most of the length adjustment in a rental binding is done in the rear part of the binding, with a smaller (or no) range of adjustment at the front. A consequence of this is that, if you foot is unusually long or short compared to the typical range for that length of ski, then it's likely that your foot will end up further back or forward than it would ideally be

Sorry that is just not correct, for the majority of rental bindings, you can move both heel and toe. It only tends to be the low end ones that only move the heel, salomon for example designate these SR, whereas the centred ones are SC.

I use rental bindings on my Fischer misfits as they have a huge range of binding positions. The rossignol axial 1 I use have a equally wide range of adjustment at boths ends of the binding. I can centre the bindings basically where ever i want to suit conditions. You may get a tiny 2 mm forward or back from the centre mark (if that is where you want your boot centre). Some tyrolia sp130 I have used were very similar

So the Disadvantages of my rental rossi axial 1 (which were purchased new) compared to non rental axial 1.

Longer heel track, 6 screws rather than 4 attachment to ski, so slightly heavier, but adustment mechanism is simpler so lighter.

Plate under front binding that adds weight, and a tiny bit of slop

other than that identical to retail

Advantages

Can move binding and so boot centre to suit conditions and ski use (misfits have a 5cm adjustment range) during a skiing day with no tools in about 2 minutes as i know the settings to match each other toe and heel.

Ramp of this binding is only 3mm, compared to retail version which is often a lot more and so I have to shim the toe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rental bindings are more expensive than it's none rental brother.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy