Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Doing some research on the cost/ benefits of transferring from airport to resort via car hire.

Have previously gone package, private transfer and scheduled transfer, not tried car hire yet.

So any advice and experiences on car hire vs private transfer.

This next trip there are 14 of us about half with boards travelling from Grenoble to Les Arcs but really looking for general advice on the car hire experience.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're going to need a pretty big car Shocked
For a party that size with baggage it must be cheaper to book with a transfer company?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skivington, see above, it must be right that a transfer company will do this more cheaply than if you hire several cars.

I do often hire a car myself, though: it would be great to avoid the faff (especially if that includes putting on snow chains! Skullie) and the expense, but sometimes - not by any means always - it's more convenient to have a car in resort. Chamonix is a resort which springs to mind as somewhere where a car is useful to get from one ski area to another, and if I'm self-catering and am not within a few moments' easy walk of the shops, then I'd rather have a car. I've used a car in Arc 1800, mainly because the trip to the shops wasn't very convenient and there is the added advantage that one can do a huge initial shop in a Bourg supermarket, on the way up to resort - that's a lot cheaper than buying food and drink in resort. And in that instance, because there were only two of us, a transfer would have cost an arm and a leg.

Hope this helps. Oh, and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For that number of people, even a private transfer will work out cheaper than several cars. Then you have to consider cost of parking in resort. Car hire generally works out cheaper when 2-4 people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hiring 4 cars works out cheaper for us, but will check out parking thanks. We dont need a car in resort so even if it is cheaper if there is lots of faff involved the extra may be worth it Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
.....and park inside or bring big shovels and be prepared for digging the car out of the snow faff at the end of the week Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy