Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Zillertal base most beginer friendly?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Flights booked to Innsbruck for short break at end of Jan.
3 experienced intermediates and 1 novice.
Picking a car up at airport and want to know the best resort to use as a base.
The ideal would allow the beginer to have lessons in AM whilst the rest go and play then meet up for lunch and have an easy afternoon pretending to be ski instructors!
rolling eyes
Any advice welcome
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Within the Zillertal Arena circuit the part at the middle called Gerlo has nearly all the runs in blue at the top level. It came across a popular beginner area to me and would be an ideal place for a meet up because a better group can ski to either ends, which are Zell am Ziller and Konigsleiten/Kirmmi, and back for lunch.

Ahorn is not large but full of blue runs at the top. It was claimed the cable car to Ahorn is among the biggest in the Alps so enjoy.

Mayrhofen has the steepest groomed piste in Austria, Run No. 18 called Karakiri, but it also has blue runs well linked together to cover a very wide area (by taking gondolas to avoid the red runs).

The small unlinked area nearest to Zillertal Arena is Gerlosteinwand, access via Ramsau, has a full blow circuit for sledging and should a nice playground too if you don't want skiing.

If you have a car you can drive up and down of the valley to enjoy all its areas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have you booked accommodation yet ??? - we had a LOT of trouble getting anyone to take us for 3 nights so you might find thats your deciding factor
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach. Bonus is that both have big car parks and ski rental right by the lifts, and are the 2 easiest to get to.

Mayrhofen would be less convenient. Ahorn might be good for the novice, but there's little for everyone else (or was last time I went).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Zell am Ziller, good circuit the Zillertal arena and good restaurants on the hill - 2 gondolas for access and much quieter for beginners than Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ecro, also take a look at Vorderlanersbach. There are hotels and B&Bs really close by the Rastkogelbahn. Great beginner plateau up the mountain and from there you can ski into the Mayrhofen area (Penken).

See map: http://www.tux.at/fileadmin/PDF/Lageplaene__Panoramen/glescherweltmitlegende2012.pdf

It's quiet there if that suits and I reckon a 3 nighter is quite possible - book via www.tux.at
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecro, have a look at hochfugen, great begineers area with progression to top to bottom blues, good links to rest of area
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zel am ziller has just about no night life at all, only 2 hotels and the village seemed a bit industrial to me , consider this if you like to party. Mayerhofen has this element. Lanersbach is a lovely village, prettier than zel but still quiet. Skiing very good wherever you go, but sometimes it's not always all about the skiing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd be inclined to echo Andy and suggest Kaltenbach (with Zell am Ziller also a good option).

Kaltenbach has a good beginner area right off the gondola, although it can get a lot of "through traffic" with experienced skiers heading for the lifts. For progression there is then a good blue area at the top of lift 8, although the disadvantage of that area is that the only way back is a track, which is easy enough but gets horribly crowded.

For the more experienced skiers, there are several reds and one (easy) black down the front face, or head over the back towards Hochfugen - run 1 down to t Panorama is one of my favourite reds.

Zell am Ziller is also a good option, although I don't think the beginner areas at the Zell end of the Zillertal Arena are quite as extensive as those in Kaltenbach, and I hink the advanced sking will more often take you too far away to easily get back for lunch.

If you want to go to the Zillertal Arena, you might be better off going up to Gerlos. It is a bit isolated from the main valley, but there is a huge blue area at the top of the chairlift (beginners will need to come back down on the chair, experienced skiers can use the black (which should really be a red). The experienced skiers should be able to do some of the Konigsleiten area runs and still get back to the others for lunch. There are also some easy to reach blues at the bottom of the Konigsleiten area if the beginners get bored with the ones above Gerlos itself.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All,
Many thanks for all the replies, most helpfull.
We've gone for the Vorderlanersbatch option as this seemed the best bet for ease of meeting up. The link to the Tux website was great for accomodation choices, gave them our dates and they replied next day with about 10 options (Thanks to Bode Swiller).
Will post a review on return
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to the Zillertal as a complete beginner in 2004 - we were based in Konigslieten and was fine. Skied the Gerlos Platte and over to Zell, it was fine.

Kersh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All,
back from a great trip here's a brief review as promised.

Vorderlanersbach worked out perfect for our group. The ski area was great as was the snow. Sadly our beginer friend did not get on with the skiing ( injured himself on the first day!) but was able to meet up with us at various points for a spot of lunch and a apres beer. As we only had 3 days skiing we didn't venture much further than the local slopes but did the link to Mayrhofen easily ( and no cable car qeues at the Rastkogelbahn)

Compared to France (where we mainly ski ) the food and drink was amazingly good value ( 3.5 euro a pint!! )
Vorderlanersbach is quiet with only a few hotels and 1 bar open after 9ish in the evening although up untill then the Hexen Kessel by the bus stop is very lively! Lanersbach has more options and is easily reached by the night bus (1 Euro ) or a nice 15 minute evening stagger.

Two things to be aware of, first the ski bus up and down the valley needs some forethought otherwise you might end up like us in Mayrhofen, fully kitted up, for a well deserved drink only to find out the free shuttle finishes at 4! Secondly on a couple of occasions we fell foul of the " locals only seating "in some of the bars, made us feel slightly uneasy/unwelcome

Excellent time had by All, again thanks for the recomendations
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy