Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz: Recommendations for convenient long weekend accomodation?

Poster: A snowHead
Never skied La Clusaz before, but it looks good so we're (4 guys) heading out there for a long weekend in early Feb.

We'll be arriving early afternoon on a Thursday, and leaving just after lunch on the Sunday, so to maximise skiing time we'd like to stay close to a lift and close to the action (i.e. we'd like to get a transfer, drop the bags at the hotal and head out, and on the last day we'd like to ski down, pick up bags and jump in to the cab).

I don't know the town at all, so can anyone give me any tips? Ideally we'd like a couple of twin rooms in a cheapish hotel. Would be happy with B&B or 1/2 board.

Thanks!
Steve
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in hotel alpen roc and paid for half board. It was a pleasant hotel and well located in the centre of the resort. I'd recommend it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help with lodging. My time there was in a rental flat that is only availalble by the week.

It's a great resort for intermediates. Not sure experts would get much out of it.

The village is great, very traditional. Not a lot of partying going on, but a couple pubs. A Scottish/French couple runs a place called "Le Pub" at the bottom of the slopes; that seemed like the best (nearly only) apres option. Some great huts on the mountain with very good food. Some are pretty swish with the prices to match, but others are quite reasonable with great food. There's a place by the U Fredy lift that does a great Tarteflette. Plenty of nice cheese and wine shops in town.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Les Sapins, says its only 2 star, but this is only because of no pool. We tried to get in here, but it was booked up. It is right on the slopes, definitively ski in si out. If you get the wrong hotel in La clusaz you can have a bit of a drag. Nice resort though, good bars and restaurants.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 star is fine by me, thanks! Will take a look.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed at the Christiana hotel, right in the main square and two minutes from the lifts. It's a nice, clean hotel, not too grand (eg lots of pine panelling!).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello Sah.The Christiana Hotel is the perfect location right beside the town square and about a 2 min walk to the chair lifts.Was in La Clusaz with my wife last March for 4 days and really enjoyed the skiing.The town is pretty with some good restaurents but the night life is very quiet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't skied in La Clusaz yet, but have had two reliable recommendations for Les Sapins.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All booked in the Christiania, they seem very friendly and happy to take a weekend-only booking. Thanks for the advice.

Now, any advice for transfers from GVA?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like you've considered the taxi option and I think if time is of the essence you'd struggle with anything other than hiring a car and split between four of you it shouldn't work out too costly.

Send the driver through first to do all the paperwork while the rest of you wait for bags. There are several threads on here (!) re car hire options from Geneva but generally speaking you would be best hiring from the swiss side and getting on to the Motorway. It's a really straightforward drive to La Clusaz. For what it's worth we hired from Rent Occasion last 2 times and avoided the potential delay at the check in desk and walk to the car hire garage which may, again, be important to you for getting away as quickly as possible. However, others weren't so convinced of the benefits so it's up to you (see thread on this). Also, if using Holiday Autos don't forget the discount code on here which can save about 10% and we have also used very successfully in the past.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We won't be needing a car when we're there, and for 4 of us with skis I think a taxi/minibus transfer would be about the same cost and a less hassle. Or, to put it another way, I can't be bothered this time:)

I've seen one offer for EUR120 each way (http://www.laclusaz-transfers.co.uk/), and car hire for 4 days is going to be around EUR250 for a Focus sized car. I was just wondering if anyone had any favourites for transfers to La Clusaz.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year we used Alps 2 Alps [url] http://www.cheap-airport-transfers.co.uk/index.html [/url] from GVA to La Clusaz.

The price for an 8 seater (there were 6 of us) was €198 for the return trip. The guy was on time and got us through a huge snow storm too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for that Tiger2. Just checked their site; the price is slightly higher (EUR224) but still looks good!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah wrote:
All booked in the Christiania, they seem very friendly and happy to take a weekend-only booking. Thanks for the advice.

Now, any advice for transfers from GVA?

They are - they are a very nice couple and they made us very welcome when we stayed there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, I've done the bookings... now, any tips for the off piste? E.g. Areas to look at (I've heard the Balme is the best bet), any guides or ski schools in the area worth looking at, places to find info etc. I've never skied the area before so any tips gratefully received!

[I'll probably cross post to another forum, so apologies if you get deja vu!]
ski holidays
sah, deja vu is not unheard of in this place Toofy Grin
latest report
sah, there are some good spots over in Etale off the sides of the black runs which bring you down to the Telemark resto, enjoy! snowHead
snow report
sah, I'm just reading this thread. How was your stay at Le Christiana? I'm thinking of going to La Clusaz this March with a group of four lads. How was it?
ski holidays
StanBowles, it was excellent, highly recommonded. The food was superb, rooms were ok, location unbeatable. Transfer worked out well, didn't need to bother with hiring a car.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy