Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walkie Talkies?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have been looking at some walkie talkies for when I go skiing. I don't plan on spending loads of money (I am on a student budget)

Ideally I would like a range of about 2mile. So far I have found these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-Latitude-Twin-Walkie-Talkie/dp/B000X2BYYQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=amz07b-21

The reviews are ll good but none of them mention what they would be like when skiing. Does anyone own these and could tell me what there like?

Also does anyone know of any other cheap walkie talkies that would suit me?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read up quite a bit about this before xmas. I haven't bought any as it stands but anyway the vibes I got were that the cheaper ones don't cut it. Some people even had the view that there were all but a waste of time in the mountains. I got a rec on something that I was going to plump for at some point but they will be out of your price range.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ones with only 8 channels get pretty noisy. The better ones come with sideband channels 8.10, 5.25 etc so it is easier to find a clear channel. They absolutely eat batteries especially if transmitting over their maximum range. You will need a new set of batteries everyday - better to have rechargable ones. A 3km range isn't very far when you are skiing either. Better to have 8 or 10km.

I've used a set of MotorolaXTR for a number of years and, although not perfect, they work very well. They are about £80 a pair so might be too much for your budget (but remember the cost of batteries - they take 4 AAA each). Motorola T6 are a bit cheaper.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will most likely be using them to talk to my friends on the same slope just either further up or down from me so we wont be trying to talk while in different valleys. Will a 3km range be suitable for this?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a cheap pair of 3K ones from Maplins few years ago for about £25 i think and found them very useful , so the next year as 4 of us where going I bought a set of 4 8K ones from Argos £50. I must admit the range did not seem much better but I think legally they are not supposed to work over 5K anyway.
As above they are not perfect as only work on clear line of site so I carry a mobile as well just in case, But I do find most times they where great and saved a lot of call charges. I tend to ski on my own in the mornings, so as soon as I am heading back to the main area I would call and find out where my partner had stopped for lunch. sometimes she was only a few hundred yards behind or in front of me but without these I would never had known. As for batteries, both these sets are rechargeable and lasted the day easy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't bother. Ludicrous and annoying, you will be laughed at and despised in equal measure.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Walkie talkie threads are numerous round here. Try this one from Sunday:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84548
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy