Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bags on Airparks Bus? UPDATE

Poster: A snowHead
Flying out of Birmingham on Christmas Eve,and leaving the car with Airparks.Done this many times(at various Airparks)and found them to be fine,and well priced.Always travel with a couple of ski bags,and have never had a problem(and never given it much thought)However,have just checked the T&C's(must have been bored),and spotted they will not carry large items ie,Surfboards and Ski Bags Confused Now,is this new,or has it always been there,and the drivers just dont bother?Dont really want to ring as it 'may' flag me up...but certainly dont want the faff of dropping bags at the airport first,it sort of negates the advantage of off site parking.
Anyone used them recently and,more to the point,without problem?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 31-12-11 22:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow, A bit odd as you say - all the off airport transfer busses I've used at various UK airports have a luggage section designed for items like skis/snowboards (with a strap you can fasten to prevent them falling out into the aisle).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowskisnow, I seem to remember reading the same, probably when I went from Birmingham to Zermatt via Geneva and parked off site. From memory I rang them and it wasn't a problem as long as the bus wasn't too full, it wasn't but that was January not Christmas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my guess is they put these conditions in there so if for whatever reason the busses are very full they can ask you to take your bags off so more people can get on... in reality very unlikely to ever happen, but they're covering themselves!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had no problem with skis and Airparks when travelling via Luton to the PSB.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

have just checked the T&C's(must have been bored),

Indeed. Do you reckon the bus drivers have read them? No ... neither do I Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had the Birmingham one make a fuss about it once, but they got over it.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used Airparks in Manchester quite a few times with my ski bag and the driver has never made an issue of it. When its been busy I've usually ended up standing holding my bag as there has been no room in the luggage racks and couldn't leave it lying on the floor for people to trip over.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just noticed that the coach from Geneva to Bourg etc. says one hand luggae, one 'hold' bag. Yeah, right!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
personally always use the carparks within walking distance, but as said above only likely to be an issue if mega busy or if you have a particularly stroppy driver.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well,having just returned from Austria,and following a few choice words with the driver!! thought I would update with the 'current' position.....and its far from clear Puzzled
The T&C's do mention ski bags.The booking confirmation does not.They exclude large items such as bikes and surfboards(I can fully understand that),but they are ambiguous about ski's/boards.The driver was quite adamant..."this will be your last winter bringing those on here,we're banning skis".Really? The girl in the office had a slightly different view."If we're quiet,you should be OK...may be a problem if we're busy.Might be better if you dropped them off at the Airport" I offered the view that flexible rules and second sight were not of much use rolling eyes Fell on deaf ears....so I filled out a customer comment form.
Suffice to say,I will not risk it in the future,which is a great shame.Airparks offer a great service at a very good price;but the saving is not life changing.No one needs hassle at the beginning/end of a holiday....so I will park on Airport.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow, There was the same ambiguity when I last used them at Birmingham, which was January 2008! They're obviously not rushing the changes in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowskisnow wrote:
Well,having just returned from Austria,and following a few choice words with the driver!! thought I would update with the 'current' position.....and its far from clear Puzzled
The T&C's do mention ski bags.The booking confirmation does not.They exclude large items such as bikes and surfboards(I can fully understand that),but they are ambiguous about ski's/boards.The driver was quite adamant..."this will be your last winter bringing those on here,we're banning skis".Really? The girl in the office had a slightly different view."If we're quiet,you should be OK...may be a problem if we're busy.Might be better if you dropped them off at the Airport" I offered the view that flexible rules and second sight were not of much use rolling eyes Fell on deaf ears....so I filled out a customer comment form.
Suffice to say,I will not risk it in the future,which is a great shame.Airparks offer a great service at a very good price;but the saving is not life changing.No one needs hassle at the beginning/end of a holiday....so I will park on Airport.

I flagged this up at booking with Airparks Luton last winter and was told if it is a busy period you are better dropping the luggage and ski's off prior to parking, great as long as you are not travelling on your own! rolling eyes
The person on the phone said it may just be a case of just waiting till the next bus comes. So for me if they do stop people travelling with ski's I will park on site as cheaper than doing a meet and greet for me.

I travelled up to Edinburgh last week and parked at Luton off site Airpark and on transfer bus there was 2 sets of ski's in the rack which were not causing a problem but the amount of so called hand luggage that people were expecting to take was!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, I was a bit concerned when I first saw this thread as I'm flying from Birmingham in 2 weeks with skis having arranged off airport parking, but I'm using airport parking and hotels (aph), not airparks, and checking their T's & C's they don't identify any restrictions on skis on their transfer bus, and I have used them before without any problems.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked on Airparks website FAQs and it states:

"Can I take large items such as snowboards and bicycles on the shuttle bus?

Airparks are unable to carry bikes, surfboards, canoes or other large objects which do not fit onto luggage racks on our buses."

I read that as, if your ski bag fits in the long luggage rack then it's ok. However, if there are several sets of skis does that mean that only the first people to use that small rack are able to take them?
ski holidays
junitrules, Well,just to add to your confusion wink Every Airparks bus I have seen(and used),has a dedicated ski stowage area...a vertical rack with a drop down bar.I cant see that it was designed for any other purpose? I pointed this out to the arsey return driver....who just shrugged and said rules is rules Evil or Very Mad
Quote:
Airparks are unable to carry bikes, surfboards, canoes or other large objects which do not fit onto luggage racks on our buses.

As there is a dedicated rack,they will.But,its not massive and will take around 6 ski bags.Over that and there would be a problem.But who wants the possibility of arguing on both trips..not me!
snow conditions
snowskisnow, Just updating this as I am booked into the Hams Hall for next week. It was the one round the back of a garage where a stroppy woman told me I could not take skis on the bus. No problem with the Hams Hall one. Odd that I booked Hams Hall next time then!

snowHead
latest report
We parked at Hams Hall with APH, no problem on a 5am bus, just carry it on yourself, seriously, its not as if we expect the drivers to lug round our bags! Maybe a case where you just look ahead and carry on regardless..... I think you have to be unfortunate to get the grumpy driver who is anti-ski, maybe he fell over too many times at the ice rink as a teen? wink
snow report
rookierich, No Hams Hall is no problem. It was the other one with a stroppy woman who cost her site repeat bookings.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, Didn't realise Hams Hall was big enough for 2 car parks! Lol......yeah I think anyone who is awkward about taking ski bags costs themselves, like I said, its not as if we expect others to carry our ski/board bags...
ski holidays
The other one, with the stroppy woman who tried to stop us taking skis on the bus was the Macadown Lane one. Not going there again! Hams Hall is fine, and cheap too.
snowHead
snow conditions
I've been with APH at Gatwick and some other company I can't remember at Luton (well mum did but she doesn't ski, boo) and the bus was full, and I had no problems, there wasn't even a dedicated rack for skis and boards, just long luggage racks which I found my skis just laid down along very neatly. You can also wedge a thin ski bag like mine between your knees for the trip! A faff, but possibly necessary. Certainly never had any trouble with the skis. It sounds like a get out clause if the buses are very full.
snow conditions
Have used Hams Hall (APH) at Brum lots of times. No probs at all with skis, in fact quite often the driver has helped me with my bags. And they're never grumpy, even though it's usually 5.00 in the morning when we're there ...yawn. They're cheap too. If you use them once you get regular discount e-mails too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy