Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Factory Wax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've searched plenty of threads on here, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the following question:

“I have bought a new pair of skis, and been told they have a ‘factory wax’, does this mean they will need waxing before I take them out for my 6 days skiing in Feb, or will they last that first trip without?”

This is the first time I have bought skis, and in the past, I have always assumed my rented kit would have been serviced appropriately before use. If it helps, the skis are an Elan waveflex 8 and I plan to use them mainly on piste….

Thanks in anticipation of your responses…

Luke
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They will last the first trip without. Maybe the second trip too depending on how fussy you are. You will see them sort of dry out towards the edges when they need waxed. Hard to describe but you'll recognise it when you see it.

Enjoy the new skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LukeRibs, Hi Luke. It's always good advice to wax any new ski before use. Most factory wax's are only there to protect the base. If they were my skis, I'd remove the factory wax and give them a damn good hat wax before i used them for the first time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a cheap pair of Atomics about three years ago. I'm rather ashamed to admit that I haven't waxed them yet! Embarassed

Still, they are absolutely fine, no sign of drying out as per monkey's message above. The skis are fine - maybe I'm just not fussy, or maybe this waxing obsession is a load of billhooks

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with zellmaniac. They'll be fine. When they stop sliding around and you have to pole downhill - go and get them waxed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zellmaniac wrote:
I bought a cheap pair of Atomics about three years ago. I'm rather ashamed to admit that I haven't waxed them yet! Embarassed

Still, they are absolutely fine, no sign of drying out as per monkey's message above. The skis are fine - maybe I'm just not fussy, or maybe this waxing obsession is a load of billhooks

Puzzled

Have you actually skied on them in that 3 years wink

Seriously, from freshly waxed I'd be amazed if you don't see a lighter colour down the sides of the base as the wax wears off. Or did they come unwaxed??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've not had any problems I wouldn't worry about it now as it's unlikely that any of the wax is still on the running surface if you've been skiing on them at all regularly. Also normal ski bases don't 'dry out' the discolouration is something else entirely. Smile

I have a whole box full of waxing kit that is gathering dust when I realised through the help of laziness that it wasn't really making much difference.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How can you not notice the difference a good wax makes to a skis performance Puzzled
Mine fly when I have a good wax on them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LukeRibs, splassout and have them waxed before you go, having spent a few hundered quid on them, why not an extra £20.00 for a simple wax, go fo a base prep wax followed by a full wax, they slide better last longer, reduce the amount of poling you have to do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm very much a bog standard intermediate skier, so probably I'm not sensitive to the difference a good waxing will make. I've done about 7 weeks on my skis so maybe I'll push the boat out this year and get them waxed, see if it makes a difference! Smile

When I first bought my skis I asked a ski hire place if I should wax them. They were very definite in their answer, there was no need. So LukeRibs, just try out your skis. if you're happy, great. If not get 'em waxed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LukeRibs,

I always scrape and wax 3 or 4 times with a soft wax to load the bases on new skis then finish with a hard wax or wax to suit conditions of where i will be skiing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skime2, You put me to shame!!

I just chuck my skis on the floor, snap 'em on and go skiing. What a slob I must be!!! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mistermouse wrote:
How can you not notice the difference a good wax makes to a skis performance Puzzled
Mine fly when I have a good wax on them.

Dunno, I don't ski on pistes very much so maybe that's a factor. I've gone from doing the whole hog of brushing with various different brushes to doing essentially bug all apart from my edges without noticing much if any performance difference.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zellmaniac,

Sorry!!!!!!

But got used to doing them every weekend when son was racing.

What a pain that can be Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys! Plenty to think on but reckon that for the sake of £20 I'm going to get em done!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy