Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family accommodation in Alpe D’Huez for New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following my previous thread about short transfers we have reconsidered this point. It rather limits the selection of resorts and we have concerns over lack of snow at this time of year in lower resorts like Les Gets. Having looked into this further we are thinking another hour on a bus is a small price to pay for higher altitude and less risk of poor skiing conditions.

What are your comments and thoughts about Alpe D’Huez for a couple of families?
Is the resort interesting with a few things for families to do?

I would appreciate your accommodation recommendations. We want a catered chalet that is not too far from ski lifts and resort centre. If childcare is available at the chalet then great but I think we can source this locally too.

As always I thank you all in advance for your time replying.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think AdH would be perfect for a New Year for a couple of families. We went at the same time of year a couple of years back. Lots of very gentle runs near town, but plenty of variation elsewhere. There's usually a good programme of entertainment put on by the tourist board, but if not there's a very good leisure centre, pools (indoor and out), an ice rink, lots of shops to go and have a look round. Lots of other stuff to do like parapenting, husky rides etc if you want something a bit more adventurous.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the idea of gentle runs near the town as we are a group ranging from 'still on the greens but trying' to 'on the blues but looking to improve'.

Would you or any other readers recommend a catered chalet you have used? We may go with a tour operator but might look at booking our own stuff.

Mike.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H,

Quote:

What are your comments and thoughts about Alpe D’Huez for a couple of families?
Is the resort interesting with a few things for families to do?

Mike, what are you expecting to do with the kids?

I've got two kids currently 6 & 4. We've been taking them twice a year since March 2009 (DIY self catered) and have found in reality skiing, sledging, the occasional DVD if necessary, a couple of games and a bag of their favourite toys was all that was required. We've not really used or needed much in the way of facilities. Hence we've come to staying in smaller villages - name Les Coches and Oz-en-Oisan twice each the last 4 trips. These are both car free in the centre.

AdH is a quite a big and bustling place and you may be better to be right next to the slopes in a smaller place.

Food for thought anyhow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne,
Great reply and indeed something to think about. Our last ski trip was La Plagne. There was very little to do. In the afternoons we like to spend some time in the snow, grab a bite to eat, look around the shops, watch other people skiing, take the kids for a walk, etc. I know this is not everyones idea of fun but we try to ski in the morning and have family fun in the afternoon. Form my reading ADH is bigger and has more places to go. LP was too quiet even for a young family.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H, in that case ADH should suit very well I would say. Lot's of scope for doing what you describe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not stayed in a catered chalet in AdH, only a hotel (half board). We've stayed in Oz in a chalet in the summer but that was self catered.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for reply. Hoping to find a catered chalet ideally. If anyone has stayed in one please let me know your thoughts and opinions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpe D'Huez works well with the families since the ski plus pass gives you access to the swimming pool and the entrance to the ice rink
The resort also has night skiing and sledging which is great for the kids....and its not a long transfer from Grenoble
Our chalets in the resort are popular with families
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike-H, Neilson have a chalet Le Lac Blanc I http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/france/alpe-d%E2%80%99huez/neilson-chalet-le-lac-blanc-i/ at the top of the resort. It is ski in/out and is less than 100m from the main lifts and the lifts for the beginner slopes at resort level.

I should say that I haven't stayed there, but was staying at an hotel just behind it, so skied past every day. Thought it looked really nice. Can't beat the location. Although it is a distance from the resort centre, there are several restaurant/bars/shops in the immediate location, plus equipment hire shops within 100m.

I appreciate that you want to be in the centre of things - ADH is quite spread out. The resort bus has a stop about 100m from the chalet IIRC - incredibly easy to use.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuart@Zenith, Thanks Stuart. I think you have replied to one of my posts on Chalets Direct. I will check you accomodation and prices.

Chasseur, Looks good. I will investigate this option also. Not sure if neilson offer many free child places.

Does anyone know if you can email Esprit Ski? The site contains no email link?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike-H, they're based in Fleet, Hants try phoning 01252 618318 and asking. Looks like their various sites have an email enquiry form - I'm sure they'll respond quickly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, You can order a brochure online but no email address. Phoned during work but i cant stay on phone for long. They gave me their recruitment email address and said it would be for forwarded to correct department (weird). Still no reply. Tried to call today and gave up on 4 occasions as I was waiting for nearly 10 mins every time. Oh well, I will try again tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep - I think the only down side to Esprit was having to phone them up to get prices out of them and not being able to book online. Saying that that was the only down side I had with them. I did it by phoning them up in my lunch break - can you use yours?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy