Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lunch stops in Val d'isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Going back there in a few weeks. Last year we went to either Bananas or there was a big place very close to the bottom of the lifts (can't remember the name). I hear that Bananas has burnt down so could probably do with ideas for a few more places......don't really want to spend more than £20 a person which I know can be a bit hard to find. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
binkacat,

can't tell you about prices as not in Val for 4 years.

Value for money- our favourites are;

1. l'Edelweise- just about the le Fornet bottom cable car- fantastic food, great drink, only a couple of euros more for table service linguini with seafood then for self service spag bol. A good idea to book. http://www.restaurant-edelweiss-valdisere.com/mountain_restaurant_valdisere.php just checked prices on line less than #20 for casse croute berger (all th eham and cheese and nice stuff you can eat) or about €15 for a basic pasta- which will be really good.

2. Le Fruitiere- same place as la folie douce- but so so good http://www.lafoliedouce.com/ what will it be; duck shepard's pe or lamb with beans, or just roast chicken and chips??? hummmmmmmmmmm(€20) to get a table you must book - see web site for phone number.
3. pizza 2000 in Val Claret also OK on that side.

Try and avoid the self services as they are grim. Although they are a few euros less (although sometimes not) than the sit down places the value is dreadful.

If you want to save money but still have a good lunch why not just go to the supermarket and stock up on smoked salmon, cream cheese and bread?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
actually- don't go to either the Edelwise or the Fruitire- they are both terrible- don't even look inside- it will hurst your eyes- possibly causing irreversible damage.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I've stopped for vin chaud before at Edelweise but never eaten there so we'll check that out, thanks.

Its always so cold when we go (was -20) most of last year that when we stop for lunch I need to be somewhere warm rather than bread and cheese on the side of the piste. Plus I need a good stop as I'm an unfit bug and need to rest my legs if I'm to have any chance of afternoon skiing!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Trifollet on the OK/Orange (and other runs down to La Daille) is really good.

Le Fruitiere is ok - expensive (nothing unusual there) but you do get free use of the toilets! Genius, that....... oh, to achieve this milestone of free access to a toilet, you need to take one of the marbles from the big container in the restaurant on your way to the loos..... this will gain you access.... (!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Best place for a cheap lunch on the whole mountain... the Marmottes restuarant on the Bellevarde mountain - it is self service but you can stack your salad plate real high for about €5... there are also pizza / chips options there for about €10 a go to so REALLY good value for money IMO!

Not that I am a massive fan of the owner but the Sun Bar at the bottom of Le Face is OK too but the queues can be huge!

Try also the Rosee Blanche at the bottom of the La Daille - sandwich, drink, chips type snack place is good value too.... also you could try La Doudoune near the Rond Pont des Pistes too - that is where we as instructors tend to take our lunch stop (woops have I just given the game away - haa haa!).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus, tried the Marmottes restaurant today, they do a great tasting creme brulee and it's not small.

Relatively good value for money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
coops1967 wrote:
Le Trifollet on the OK/Orange (and other runs down to La Daille) is really good.

Gets my vote too - especially on a sunny day out on the terrace.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the Edelwiess over at Le Fornet for a nice lunch!

Best for crispy pizzas/big-salads is Trifolet on the way down to La Daille.

For fun entertainment but okay food La Folie Douce.

Otherwise I'd get a superb savoury from the savoury shop in Val, team it with a very nice Sancerre, and have an impromptu lunch in the Hot Tub on the chalet's verandah!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

I think this is Marmottes self serve outside area. I recall pricing the full meal for less than 5 euros, and thinking at the time that is a very large piece of cheese (it would probably cost you that in the supermarket here for a piece of cheese that size)

That was about 6 years ago though. I'm not sure if they still sell carafes of vin rouge for a couple of Euros.

If I recall correctly this is the restaurant which is down the piste from Madeleine which is an easy green, which gets fantastic snow on it. I think it must be the location and sun combination which makes the snow so good there.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Pignatta at Val is just in to the square from Pizza 2000 and much better
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Datcha
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for l'edelwiess.

And there is a self service place, if you head up to the top of solaise and it is at the bottom of a chair. ?the chair that goes up to the top, where you ski down and catch the up and over chair to le fornet. They had extended the outside eating area last year and we had a nice meal there and it wasn't expensive, as far as I remember.

Sorry, I am rubbish at directions, but could take you there, if you deposited me on the mountain!

L'arolay, on the main road, not far from le fornet is a lovely place for lunch on a White out day. We went there a couple of years back for dinner too and it was lovely

And, although not VDI, if you do make it down to les breviers, try La sachet, along by the church. One of my face espace Killy lunch stops!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for L'Arolay (you can ski to it if you duck left off the home run black to Fornet and head for a little hamlet just over a bridge).

Also +1 for the place by the lake that Lucylou's talking about at the top of Solaise (take the drag at the top of the solaise chair and it's just below you) - if you get there reasonably early then take a good 5 minutes to gawp at the massive array of pies, tarts and deserts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Also +1 for the place by the lake that Lucylou's talking about at the top of Solaise (take the drag at the top of the solaise chair and it's just below you) - if you get there reasonably early then take a good 5 minutes to gawp at the massive array of pies, tarts and deserts.

Yes, the tarts are amazing! We had one once, holed up in there in a snowstorm. If the weather is bad, you do need to get there early as the inside seating area isn't big and it does get busy
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
Datcha

agreed
latest report
Lucylou the place you are talking about - at the bottom of Madelaine on the Solaise side is the Ouilette - on sunny days the outdoor BBQ is awesome - all the food in here comes from the award winning Chevallot bakery in the town centre. Not the best VFM but very nice food! THE DOG IS NOT VERY FRIENDLY HERE - so be warned if you have little kids the dog (although small) does bite.
snow conditions
Join the seasonaires down the Spar, roll, cheese small bottle of? lunchtime sit on a rock lovely. Hence the backpack 4 offpiste essentials, shovel, probe, Arva, picnic. Good god is that Wainwright's ghost shouting pinic interdite?
snow report
I second Edelweiss and La Fruitiere. Was there too weeks ago and the 2 course plat du jour menu in Edelweiss (which was a lovely steak and tarte au citron) was €22 and in a beautiful restaurant with great service and open fire. I'd rather pay that than €18 for mediocre tartiflette (along with a €5 can of coke!) in somewhere like Marmottes where it's self service. We ate in La Fruitiere too, and it was incredible! Not cheap (our three courses with wine and kir royales was about €85 per person) but believe me offers better value for money than some self service place that charges €5 for a can of coke! It's one of the best meals I've ever had and definitely worth it for a one-off treat. Val is expensive, but I'd rather pay a lot for good food than a lot for crap food on a plastic tray! For something cheaper there's a sandwich place at the bottom of the aeroski in Tignes that does really good pizza and baguettes for ~€6.
ski holidays
Cynic, I agree about the difference between price and value.

Also second the Ouilette - great pies.
latest report
People often complain about prices and overcrowding in certain places like La Folie Douce. The problem is they all go there at the same time.

La Folie Douce is the best place to go at about 10.30 am for a cup of coffee and a free read of the Financial Times. The newspaper will cost you 6 Euros in the tobacconist in La Daille at least, and you will read it once then discard it!

So why not get a reasonably priced hot coffee in a mug and a free read of a paper. Bargain basement prices, and it is usually totally empty at that time. They have other papers too if the FT is occupied when you visit.

The pies in La Folie Douce are very tempting, but very high in saturated fat, and expensive. Stick to the coffee and papers.

In the late evening, the music can be worth hanging around for, if you fancy a shot of pastis and some water. Don't use a hip flask!!! (that is picnicing!)

Shocked
snow report
Thanks for all the replies, lots of places to check out now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy