Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing my stolen skis . . .

Poster: A snowHead
My Head Great Ones were stolen in Tignes, so I'm now looking into new skis. I am leaning towards the Scott Rosas - However I am open for some suggestions please ?

Must be All Mountain but I'm probably not looking for anything too fat under foot. I am Femal, 5'7" and just under 10st, skiing on and off piste.

Thanks Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-01-12 13:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like K2 Apaches as an all mountain ski, they suit my style. Feel for your loss - I've had two virtually new sets nicked - Ross. Bandits from a car that was smashed into and a set of K2's from a locked locker in a locked storage room. Still want to take the hands of the twunks that took them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, for a go anywhere ski the Völkl Mantra is hard to beat. Anywhere except moguls that is...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, RattytheSnowRat, Thanks both! . . . perhaps I should have mentioned that I preferrrably wanted women's specific skis, and hopefully something that would be at the very least ok in mogals Embarassed

RattytheSnowRat, bad luck on the skis front, that really sucks - fingers crossed it doesn't happen again! . . . Santa bought me a lock Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, my OH had Volkl Auras last season (until they too were stolen), they're the female version of the Mantra I think - she loved them. Apx 90-92 underfoot if I remember correctly. They're fairly stiff as ladies skis go i think. Volkl also make an Aurora (or something similar), which is not the same ski. She's similarly tall and weightless as yourself and used them largely off piste. . . Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, Was going to suggest Head Great Ones Toofy Grin but actually couldn't find any for this season... found the following though, which seems to get good reviews:

http://youtube.com/v/PtO4m-vBneM&feature=related
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about something with rocker like the Rossi S3, I think the men's and women's version are exactly the same. I think the newer Volkl Auras also have rocker and the Auras I have aren't particularly stiff and felt pretty good everywhere. I've not tried them but the Nordica Nemesis always seem to get good reviews and the Blizzard Black Pearls look interesting and are available at Ellis Brighams so you could demo.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots, Laughing Never heard of those before . . .Not sure I'm a good enough skier Confused

lynseyf, yes the Black Pearls get good reviews, and I like the graphics, not that I would pick a ski for the graphics. The Volkl Kenja's were another I had given more than a passing thought to. I really love the Nemesis graphics, however I think they would be too much ski for me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
N got Rosa's last season and loves then, she's been skiing mainly piste 'till then but has started venturing off on the Rosa's, I really think they've helped her confidence on and off and taken her up a level - great ski, go buy a pair!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, I've skied the Kendos which is the unisex version of the Kenjas and really liked them but I would probably still pick my S3s over them Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, this is what I'd like to try as my next ski - but then I am quite brand loyal to Dynastar.
http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/exclusive-legend-eden_DA1KB01_product_dynastar-skis-women-allmountain.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica, They look nice snowHead

IncogSkiSno, They're only a 50/50 all mountain, intermediate to advanced. Should be perfect for you I would think. I'm guessing they are the replacement for the G O's. Or the Rosa, as you suggested, might be worth trying them out first though.

Or.... you could just forget any advice from any of us and go with whatever Spyderman suggests.... annoyingly... he's usually right on these things... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, oh on this site is says Expert - I usually ignore Spyderman wink

http://www.head.com/ski/products/skis/women/mya-n-8/2719/?region=eu

Details

Speed
fast

Skill
experts

Terrain
versatile, piste and off-piste

Style
excellent skiing technique

Lengths
149 / 156 / 163 / 170

Radius
14.0 @ 163

Sidecut
127/83/111 @ 163

Pedantica, Actually I had that one on my short list Very Happy I skied on some very old Legends (mens) a few years ago, and I liked them!

andy'n'netty Cool

Has anyone else noticed, there is far more information available for men's skis, than womens? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi ya ,
How about the ones I am trying to shift. Rossignol S80W? Brand new , could suit you madam. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, HEAD MYA No.8
snow report
mistermouse, Hello Stranger, longtime no speak! Why don't you want the S80Ws then?

Spyderman, I can't find any reviews on those skis, apart from the video that Schuss in Boots posted above Confused
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Copy and paste this into google: Head Mya N° 8 review

Putting it in manually didn't come up with much, but c & p brought up a bit. I see Filarinskis have them in (and discounted) - might be well worth giving Marco a ring. I'd eat my hat if he hasn't tested them already this season and that boy sure knows his onions (and he'll be honest with you).
snow conditions
It has indeed been a while .

These are my partners and she won them in a raffle. They are too much ski for her and too long aswell at 165 (she is 5'3" on a good day). So we want to sell them so she can get some boots.
latest report
IncogSkiSno wrote:

Spyderman, I can't find any reviews on those skis, apart from the video that Schuss in Boots posted above Confused

A good friend has a set, she's about your age and build, slightly better than you standard wise, she absolutely loves them. I've seen he ski on them and they do pretty much everything that it says on the tin. Just buy them.
ski holidays
mistermouse, chop 6" off the ends! Toofy Grin

Schuss in Boots, well I found 2, one very good, one not quite as good Confused

Spyderman wrote:
Just buy them.

Schuss in Boots, he's so masterful! Laughing
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
My Head Great Ones were stolen in Tignes, so I'm now looking into new skis. I am leaning towards the Scott Rosas - However I am open for some suggestions please ?

Must be All Mountain but I'm probably not looking for anything too fat under foot. I am Femal, 5'7" and just under 10st, skiing on and off piste.

Thanks Very Happy

i think there is a typo in your OP - are you "female" or "feral" ?

Wink
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, I know.... [sigh].... but he was right... (for both of us) last time... just a shame I didn't listen the first time around eh?) Laughing
ski holidays
sev112, I'd be scared to ask if I were you... wink
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Salomon Lady?

Rossi S3s are fab, but a tad wide underfoot for proper piste performance.

One of the Dynastar Outland 80 derivatives? 80 underfoot with rocker; carve well and really nice in the bumps.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, what do you think of the Dynastars I've linked to? I'm beginning to want them rather badly! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thought I'd try tho Very Happy

This size chart would make them spot on for you
http://www.evo.com/rossignol-ski-size-chart-2011-womens.aspx
snow conditions
mistermouse, yes they would be ok for me size wise etc, but not sure they are what I am a looking for, even though they are a bargain. If I was after a bargain I would buy them! Are they the new Bandits ? have you tried ebay yet?

sev112, take yer pick Toofy Grin

FlyingStantoni, thanks, I would consider Dynastars.

Pedantica, I shall just do a Spyderman on you then - "Just buy them!" wink
ski holidays
Ooh found this site, which was quite informative:

http://www.theskimag.com/equipment/skis/chixallmt/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, I really can't justify new skis yet. Sad And, unlike Spyderman, I'm not a gear whore. wink However, if I do OK in the off-piste course I'm just about to embark on, I just might have to re-consider...
My present Legends are only 75 under foot and are not rockered, it will be interesting to see how I manage on them: so far, they've been fine off-piste, but then I've never used them in waist-deep powder. Shocked

Oh, interesting link. Looks like Spyderman could be right. rolling eyes
snow report
IncogSkiSno wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

Hi there, remember me?

First of all, I'm bummed that you had your skis stolen. That sucks!
I haven't been on any of the Scott skis for 2012 so I can't help on that particular ski, but I can tell you that I haven't heard anything bad about the Rosa's and I usually hear the bad news from clients if there is a bad review.

For skis in that category, which I call an all mountain ski with a powder bias:

Blizzard Black Pearl - 88 mm under foot, flip core rocker, plenty of edge grip to have fun on piste, but enough stability under foot and slight rocker to tear it up when you go off piste.

Rossignol S2W - 92mm under foot, this ski is designed to take you all over the mountain, even rip up groomers but will inspire you to be playful off piste.

Atomic Elysian - 95mm under foot, and perhaps a bit wider than you're looking for, but still a really fun ski for someone who wants to hit the whole mountain and not feel like you're being held back from doing what you want to do, where you want to do it.

Fischer Koa 88 - 88 under foot, and probably the easiest ski to ski in this category. This is a ski I recommend for someone who wants to improve off piste skiing and is a little timid. I don't think of you as being timid.

Salomon Geisha - 97mm under foot and (again) maybe a little wider than you want to go, but easy to ski, fun and doesn't punish you when you're skiing groomers.

Salomon Lady - - 85 mm under foot and may be a little too "front side" oriented for your desired all mountain ski. I'd recommend this for someone who is venturing off piste from time to time but spends most of her time on piste.

Volkl Kenja - 86mm under foot. The Kenja is a powerful ski with a metal top sheet. I'd recommend this for someone who wants to drive a ski and show the ski who's boss. This ski is grippy on the groomers and powerful enough to take charge of anything it is path. The only down side is the extra metal makes it stiff and a bit unforgiving if your tail gets tired.

There are lots more skis that are great all mountain skis with a groomer bias but I think you're looking for something to inspire the off piste skier in you.
ski holidays
SnowHot, How could I forget! Very Happy

What is meant by "Frontside" ?

From that line up and your review, if I had to choose from any of those, I would probably go with the Pearls or Koa. I am timid Off Piste and due to an accident, I am wary of other skiers on piste too.
latest report
Front side is another way of saying, groomers, or on piste.

Of the skis I listed above, the only one that I felt would throw me down when the terrain was unfriendly was the Kenja.

To explain a bit more, I did ski testing in 2 days and had an opportunity to try 25 skis in 2 days.
I skied women's skis only, and did mid fat skis one day, groomer skis the second day.

I chose one line to compare all skis equally, which consisted of small moguls, a rutted up area that was ungroomed, some soft snow, and firm groomers.
When I skied the Kenja in the small moguls it was okay but not the best, but when I went through the rutted up area, it was not as easy to get my feet back under me as when I skied the other skis in this class.

To me the Koa seemed almost too easy to ski and I wasn't quite sure if it would hold me back if I skied it every day and tried to push it.
The Head Mya was okay, but I don't remember much about it, which tells me that it wasn't inspiring.

As for being wary of on piste skiers, If you're anything like me, you'd rather take your chances with trees and choppy snow than wonder what the heck the other skiers are going to do.

Disclaimer about my quiver:
Groomer ski - Blizzard Viva 8.1
Daily driver/off piste - Black Pearl
Deep powder - DPS Yvette 112RP Pure

I haven't had my Yvettes out yet this year. Someone needs to do a snow dance over here!!!
snow conditions
SnowHot, Thanks so much you have been really helpful, and so has everyone else! I am still undecided. I went and had a look at the Rosa's today, just to see if I could make a decision, but I couldn't. I am sorely tempted with the Pearls too, and not sure about the MYA yet.

Quote:
I haven't had my Yvettes out yet this year. Someone needs to do a snow dance over here!!!

Well just get yourself over to Europe Very Happy
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
SnowHot,

Quote:

Well just get yourself over to Europe Very Happy

You have no idea how much I'm tempted.
If I were to quit my job and head over there, I'd bring my Black Pearls for you to try. Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks All!

I went with my original thoughts and bought the Rosa's - thanks to the very nice peeps at http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/ Very Happy

fingers cross I like them!
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, a good buy I think. I'm thinking about replacing my K2 MissDemeanors soon. I will probably look at reductions in March or even wait until next season. I had my eye on the 158cm Scott Missions that Cynic was selling, but not sure I should buy just yet.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:

fingers cross I like them!

You could always arrange for them to be lifted again, so you can buy some MYA's. wink Laughing
snow conditions
Nice buy!
After spending time on this thread, I have a desire to demo the Scott Skis at the ski testing this year.
Two weeks.
Anything else I should look for?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy