Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Xplorer replacements.....

Poster: A snowHead
So I feel it is maybe about time I move on from my trusty 177cm apache xplorers. but being out of the loop on what's what these days it has left me asking the question of what shall I buy next?

Overall I was incredibly happy with the xplorers though I didn't feel I had quite enough float in the thick stuff(though that is most likely down to my size/lack of experience).

i'm 6ft 2" roughly and about 130 kilo in weight so I need a faily heavy ski that doesn't flex too easily.

if needed I can throw up some vids so people can judge what sort of level i'm at and subsequently what I should be looking for.

So yeah, what should I be looking at?

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MattMattMatt, I moved from Xplorers (good ski) up to Hardsides which feel more or less the same to ski but more capable in softer, deeper snow and easier in more variable stuff. Flex feels around the same as the Xplorer. If you want something wider and slightly stiffer, Mantras might be a good choice for you. Depends on budget, ability and where you see yourself skiing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Budget is anything within reason really, i'll probably try and grab a pair in the sales as i'm not especially in any rush, I was looking at the k2 aftershocks but the more I look at them the more they strike me as being near enough identical to the xplorers.

As for ability i'm really not sure, i've never been much good at self assesment, i'd maybe say i'm intermediate heading into advanced but i'm comfortable on pretty much any piste. i'll post a vid in a bit if you fancy weighing in with your opinion.

Realistically i'll still be spending the majority of time on piste but i'd just like something with a bit more float underfoot in the heavy stuff.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/k8W1bHoMvrg that's about the level of skiing i'm at, i've not had lessons for about 4 years so i'm really not sure what level i'm at.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lol... just got to 33secs and the filmer crashed Laughing

are you filming or being filmed?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
being filmed, i'm wearing the orange jacket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i was gonna put some in of my going head first while filming but decided against it! haha
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, what should I buy? comeon someone, help me!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are your current skis knackered or are you looking at something to take you forward?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scott Mission
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looking for something to take me forward, I can't help but feel my ski's might be a little short for me if i'm being honest and I want to improve but where i'm struggling is should I go wider and longer/just longer/just wider and potentially have to struggle for a while but I don't really want to lose my technique/be slowed down as the time I get to spend skiing is limited I like to make the most of it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
missions and hardsides are both tickling my fancy, hate the prospect of not being able to try before I buy though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am 6ft 4 and have various skis, only my off piste planks are longer than yours!
If you really want to go forward I would recommend a bit of time with an instructor, you ski quite nicely, but would really see the benefit of some tweaking.
If you are only doing a week a year investing in new skis can be quite a costly experience, if you are going to change then demoing some before purchase is definately the way forward.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I get a week abroad and how much I get in scotland is dependant on work/weather. I do keep meaning to get some more instruction as it's been like 6 years since i've had any and you're completely right i could definitely do with some(a lot) tweaking.

I'm not in any huge rush just gonna get an idea of what i'm after and wait till I see them at a good price.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MattMattMatt, get through to Braehead. Go into Ellis Brigham and grab a pair of skis to demo. Take them back, grab another pair... repeat until satisfied. All they take is your credit card as security.

Mid week is best as it's quieter but early as possible at weekends is ok too.

By your weight and height, I'd say you should have got the longest Xplorers anyway. You'll have more grip on a longer ski, your carving will improve and you'll have more control on steeper slopes.

If you're in no rush, visit Braehead a few times in the coming months and get your choice right.

If memory serves me right, If you demo a pair of skis from EB and buy on the same day, they'll give you the cost of your snow session off the cost of the skis as well.
ski holidays
I also had problems in heavy snow recently, maybe this will help.

Quote:
A foot or so of light high-altitude snow in the Rockies won’t slow you down that much. Even on a gentle blue slope you’ll have no problem sliding, keeping your speed up enough to turn. But farther out west, (or later in spring when fresh snow is heavier) the same depth of snow will seem denser, stickier, because of its greater moisture content, and immediately you will discover just how much new snow can slow you down. In West-Coast mountains, whether California’s High Sierra or the Cascades, you will need to seek out much steeper slopes for your powder apprenticeship. On a typical powder morning at Squaw Valley, for example, skilled skiers weave their multiple curving tracks down the steepest slopes, like KT-22 and Red Dog, and then, at the bottom of the steeps, all these tracks converge into one track leading out across the flats where the first skier has walked out. In short, on gentle slopes you just won’t slide through this sort of heavy powder. As a result, your early efforts in powder snow will feel quite different in these heavier maritime snow conditions.

In such heavy powder, I want you to find slopes that are perhaps a little too steep for you in regular packed conditions. You will quickly discover that the drag of this heavy, deep snow converts them into very friendly practice slopes—if you simply can’t slide very fast, what is there to worry about? But on very steep slopes, make your first straight runs in the form of traverses. Pick an angle steep enough to slide, not steep enough to bother you. And after getting used to this deeper heavier snow, practice some uphill turns — just to get a feeling for how you will end your turns in this heavier powder snow. In thick, heavy powder I suggest a special kind of uphill turn from your initial traverses, an uphill hook that you will create by pushing your skis sideways, out from under you. Technically, we could call this turning by extension, and it works like this. In a comfortable though moderately steep traverse, sink down to get ready; then from this low flexed position I want you to push the heels of both boots down the hill. To do so you are in essence stretching your legs back out; only instead of standing back up, you are extending your legs down the hill, pushing your feet away from you at the same time as turning them up the hill. And, of course, you come to a stop, but do so slowly, smoothly, progressively. Remember our first powder principle: no sudden jerky movements. And that means no sudden jerky turns.

http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/Pages/_ski_instruction/instruction40.html

I've heard that pulling your toes up slightly but keeping your weight forward also helps in denser Powder. Getting the skis out of the snow at the end of the turn by retracting the legs also worked well for me in windpressed heavy snow recently.

As for skis, take a trip to somewhere that has a large selection of freeride skis (e.g. St Anton). Last month a shop in St Anton gave me 3 days rental free after I decided to buy the same model ski I had tested.

I suspect Scott Missions will be too soft for someone of your weight but stiffer skis (e.g. Stöckli ) might float your boat.
snow conditions
I've been looking at the eb website and they don't seem to have the hardsides in, might take a spin across regardless, see what I can try out. i'm pretty much sold on them, especially if you say they are as rigid as the xplorers, time to sit back and wait for the sales.

DB, thanks for the advice. I find that I always manage a few turns okay before putting too much weight back and pivoting on the back of my ski's onto my back bottom with my head facing downhill...... practice makes perfect I suppose.
snow report
Try the mantra before you buy... Especially if you're 130 kg.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy