Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Söll

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hokay,

So it looks like I may well be going to Söll on the 21st for a week. I've done a search and read a few decent threads but nothing too current. Seems like everyone has good things to say about the Ski Welt area. I'd describe myself as an adventurous intermediate, would try any run on the piste map (even managed to stay on my feet down Gd Coulor) and the only drawback seems to be the lack of challenging pistes, which will be fine for the first few days but I'm thinking of getting the All Star Pass which includes a huge range of ski areas.

I guess my questions are what are the more challenging areas of the Ski Welt area and is it worth paying the extra for the All Star Pass for a 6 day holiday? Reccomendation on Ski Welt runs/itineraries would be appriciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin., I would describe myself as an average intermediate, not adventurous. Admittedly I only spent 4 days in SkiWelt last season but I didn't find any runs that gave me the wobbles. The SkiWelt area is huge, plenty for 6 days skiing but if you are looking for some scary black runs, you might need to look further afield. I know the Kitzbühel ski area quite well, which is accessible from Westendorf and there are a couple of tricky black runs there but I wouldn't call them scary. In fairness I prefer to cruise around the red runs, I'm not really a challenge-seeker.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have not used either pass yet

However we are skiing in nearby Kithbuel Jan 21, between the Kitz pass and All Star, the difference is only 14 euro

Huge variey of slopes

Post Bus is covered free if you have either pass, bus seems to be the best option to travel to other areas
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been there few times, Ski Welt is large area of 250km now linked with Westendorf which is in turn gondola linked to Kitz.

You'll not be bored thats for sure. Only mildly hairy black that I can think of is off the back to the Hoch Salve, its a about 250 mtrs piste right off Gondola and is grand first thing in AM. Gets cut up quick & by 11am can be an effort with moguls & steep angle.

Other than that is great cruising & boozing country. I recommend Goulash at Hohe Salve top mountain restaurant, yummy, followed by beer in the Salvestadl & Whiskeymuhle in Soll village.

Enjoy!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin., I'm in Soll at the minute, came out with a group of mainly first timers and it's been ideal, al this bloody snow helps too though! Actually missed pretty much 2 days through avy risk.

Anyhow, Soll isn't the palce for advanced skiers I think <5% of the runs are black but if it's like it is now get in the trees! The longest run in Sőll is the 7km descent from the top of Hohe Salve down to Hopfgarten – and has a collection of red runs all the way down. I think the AllStar is about 24 euro so while there's plenty of skiing in the SkiWelt to find more black will mean heading to one of the other resorts on the pass namely Kitzbuhel which isn't really known as a difficult resort either but has more blacks.

For an adventurous intermediate I'd suggest St Anton. I'll be in Kitzbuhel in Feb too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies, helpful stuff.

I can't afford Stanton, I'm getting a super cheap deal to Soll. I'm a happy red cruisier but do like the odd challenge so I think I'll find enough to keep me happy. Especially if I get the All Star. Can you get busses from Soll to Kitz?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin., Fair enough on St Anton-def one for the future though. Toofy Grin

There are several ways to get to Kitzbuhel from Soll. It's a while since I've been (deliberatly on this trip as I'm there next month) You can go Söll - Brixen - Kirchberg - Kitzbühel. Or Bus Soll-St Johann change bus for Kitz. My info may be a bit dated here though I'm not sure.

You'll be fine in Soll there's allot to go at without wasting time travelling in my opinion although the Hahnenkamm race run may be somthing you'd like to do just so you can say you have!

Info here: www.skimap.kitzalps.com
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Martin., black runs in the SkiWelt as rofno1, said of the top of the Hohe Salve, piste 1 down to Brixen which should be open given all the snow and in Westendorf from the top of the Choralpe. Not much but some of the reds have the odd steeper bit no. 11 and no. 100 come to mind.

You can ski to Kitz, with the exception of a 2 minute bus ride, with the All star card. Well worth the effort. If you can work out how to get to Zell am See (All Star card) there are some really good long blacks there.

EDIT: to add skiing to Kitz route would be Soll - Brixen - Westendorf - bottom of KiWest lift, 2 min bus ride, Pengelstein lift - Kitz
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi E.G.

Would you more info on route below
please
we are in Kirchberg , would be interested in Soll to Kirchberg
which i assume is same thing, without the hop over to Kitz

to Kitz route would be Soll - Brixen - Westendorf - bottom of KiWest lift, 2 min bus ride, Pengelstein lift - Kitz

For those bussing it, this may be useful, if you have a smart phone
http://www.appbrain.com/app/scotty-mobil/de.hafas.android.oebb

Question for someone familar with Austrian public transport, above app shows bus times, but also "Rex" aand also "S 6" , are these trains ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dublin1, Kirchberg - Söll (remember this route a bit better)
You can get the ski bus from Kirchberg to the Pengelstein lift and then another bus to the KiWest lift up into the Westendorf area or

Fleckalmbahn or the Maierl lifts up to Ehrenbachhöhe > ski down Sonnenrast towards Steinbergkogel > up lift to Steinbergkogel Jufenalm? > may be able to get blue 27 down to Pengelstein I lift or we skied down to the Kasereck lift up to Pengelstein > blue piste down under Pengelstein II and Pengelsteinn I lifts

Get bus to KiWest lift

Up KiWest lift > down blue or red piste > up Windauberg lift > down a bit of red run to find blue 111 > up Choralpe lift > down red 11 > negotiate the flats, travelator and rope tow to Brixen > walk across bridge to Brixen Gondola and up > (this is where it gets interesting) up lift 2 > down red 51b > up lift 51 > down 43 > down red 40a > Söll

Reverse and repeat!

Now this is from memory and looking at the piste maps, we went a couple of years ago. Don't take it as really accurate. The SkiWelt map is terrible and the numbering conventions for lifts and runs is different than Kitz. SkiWelt runs are numbered for the lift you want so to get lift 51 ski run 51 etc., except in Westendorf where it's a bit different. There are also a's and b's versions of runs.

Others on here ski the SkiWelt alot and know it better.

So get someone to lead who can navigate, read a bad piste map, has checked the weather forecast and knows the bus timetables, wind may shut a lift you need to get back.

Apart from that it's dead easy snowHead and there's always beer and taxis.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. Good stuff.

I actually went to Zell as my first ever ski trip so I was keen on going back but looking at the map they seem quite far apart. Are there any sensible ways of getting there and back in a day without paying loads for a taxi? Regular Bus?

I might be going on my own so if anyone is in the area 21st onwards and wants to meet, let me know (I've got to book the damn thing yet, though)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy