Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arcteryx Gamma MX Hoody vs Ortovox Cristallo vs Marmot Zion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can any owners of these jackets provide me with a real world assessment of their respective good and bad points without marketing hype, including if they fit true to size.

I own or have owned Arcteryx and Marmot kit, never Ortovox (other than their Avalanche safety gear).

Jacket will be primarily used for single day and multi day touring, as well as some late season inbounds riding.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fr0sty, i have the arcteryx gamma, great soft shell jacket that copes with all but the very worst of the weather, but i just carry a pac lite gore tex shell for those times. size wise i wear a medium with a ultra thin base and med mid layers and its a snug fit,i am 5'6" with a 42" chest ( i dont like big bulky loose jackets ) the hood is great for a helmet but adjusts down nicely if not !! outer pockets are fine , only real downside is no inner pocket for phone/mp3 .
i thought it was good value for money.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fabric-wise, they're all a bit different. The Zion is basically waterproof and windproof and has taped seams; its a proper shell. Both the Cristallo and Gamma are 'stretch weave' softshell which will be wind and water resistant but won't stand up to strong winds or heavy rain if that matters to you. They'll both breathe better though, if you're doing more aerobic things. The Cristallo will be warmer than either of the others because it has some merino fabric in it too. It'll also hold more moisure and take longer to dry as a result, though it shouldn't be any colder or more uncomfortable when wet.

Me, I like my Rab Exodus jacket; its a fraction of the price and has handy things like pit-zips for when you're working hard in warmer weather. If you've got the cash to spare on any of these three though then I doubt you'll be disappointed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was recently informed by a very 'top end' retailer that they dumped RAB after production was moved to China. Apparently, the quality suffered.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski wrote:
Apparently, the quality suffered.

I've currently got three bits of Rab gear of varying ages (2 years, 1 year, 2 months) and they're all just fine. All three would have been manufactured in China. I've had no experience with Rab gear when it was manufactured elsewhere; maybe it was absolutely amazing, and the merely 'good' stuff they churn out these days is a disappointment in comparison?

I've had the Exodus for a year. It has not disappointed, and it has held up to a reasonable amount of abuse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies.

I prefer to vent centrally rather than using pit zips on a mid-layer or soft shell, for some reason they are uncomfortable on a close fitting mid/soft outer layer. It's a personal preference only. I think of the three options above, none have pit zips.

I am interested to hear from anyone else who owns one of these jackets.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got a Zion myself and would have love to have told you how it was but the trip I was supposed to be on form the 26th got cancelled so don't know how helpful this will be....

In terms of quality it seems really good with a soft touch fleecy lining and well taped seams. It's been worn in a couple of times in the UK during rain storms and the fabric brushed off the water well but I don't know how well it would cope in a torrential downpour, feels odd to wear a softshell and expect it to be 100% waterproof! In the few chilly days we've had it kept me warm and there was no problem with the wind seeping through. It doesn't have a snow skirt but I'm a 40" chest and the length of a large seems good with plenty of room underneath for layering. Pockets are good but the zips are a little stiff but they should loosen up soon. Hood is very good and highly adjustable but a number of reviews have complained about the fleece 'dragging' head wear when it's moved. Arms are good, if a little long but Marmots 'angel wing' design means there is no riding up as you move the arms up and down. The sleeves become very narrow at the end with Velcro fasteners, there is no way my gloves would fit in the sleeves but as they are a gauntlet style they quite happily sit over the top and tighten around.

Unfortunately don't know the other jackets so cannot compare. I picked mine up from upandunder.co.uk, was a good price compared to RRP. Don't know when you need to make a decision by but i'm off in early Feb to Austria so will be able to give a definitive review them.

In terms of the other comments, I've got some Rab gear and the eVent shell I use for walking is amazing and there is no issue with the quality at all so the exodus may be worth a look?

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have had a Gamma MX for 3 (or maybe 4 years).
It's been used for everthing from skiing, climbing and mountaineering to general travel and I'm gutted because it's getting towards the end of its life.

I'm pretty active so it's had a hard life but my thoughts are:
1 - Brilliant cut for movement and comfort
2 - Fabric is ideal: not too much stretch but enough and windproof enough that I don't ever worry about that
3 - Plenty of venting options via pockets
4 - Plenty of pockets (above harness height)
5 - Hood goes nicely over a helmet for horrible days

I'll be buying another one next winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all of the responses - I have finally settled on the Marmot Zion.

There was little to choose between the three, however, I haven't really tried the new Neo fabric so decided to give it a go to see whether it lived up to expectations.

Thankfully there was a good sale on so I got it at a comparable price to the other two options.

Thanks again for the input folks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fr0sty, enjoy the new jacket, hope its sees plenty of action wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers, it arrived yesterday - but I'm still out of the country so have only seen it by webcam so far!!

If it lives up expectations then it should be a reasonable shot at a full shell replacement...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frOsty,

I'd be interested how you get on with it.

My experience is that membrane/taped/waterproof softshells are much too hot and not nearly breathable enough for uphill work. But you may well run cooler than me (most people do!). Sorry if this is so late it is counterproductive.

I have an arcteryx epsilon hoody which is a bit of a softer softshell (IYSWIM) than the gamma and I find that plenty for ski touring. You do need to carry a waterproof too though in case the weather gets very damp.

J
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy