Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt (Westendorf) or Obertaurn?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking to book for 4th week in Jan to Austria, does seem to have that 'je ne sais quoi' (or whatever the equivalent is in Bavarian Toofy Grin )....

Been to Austria a couple of times, to saalbach and Obergurgl, but would like to try somewhere new.

Have narrowed it down to

1)Ski Welt area, and in particular Westendorf which looks to have just what we want from a resort - pretty village, reasonable bars and stuff, and most accomodation within a walk of the lifts (even though it seems its a button first to get you to the Gondola), and if you look at the entire ski welt, a massive area.

2)Obertaurn - again not bad village (I know its pretty much purpose built), good bars, all accomodation near the lifts, and a really well linked circuit.

Have an option on 3* half board in Westendorf for £400, and a four star (very nice facilities) half board in Obertaurn for £550.

Any opinions, experience of either or general advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Neil.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neilkav, Ski Welt is just a brilliant area for 'interim-idiots' and as its only possible danger is poor snow - and it's dumping with snow all over AT now - there would need to be something really good about t-other place to lure me there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of to Obertaurn the 14th again,
If you liked Obergurgl you will find Obertaurn similar sort of anyway we prefer Obertauren though its a close run thing
As red 27, says Ski Welt also great area
If you could tell in advance what the weather will do it may influence your choice or toss a coin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to both and would go back to Obertauern first. Found Westendorf to be a bit set in its ways. I'd go for the 4* in Obertauern in a blink of an eyelid. Fantastic hotels in Obertauern though pistes are short and it's not a huge area. Westendorf has access to the huge Ski Welt if you're looking for miles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Off to Soll part of Ski Welt on 22nd for second time we love it there great skiing for all abilities. Have not been to other resort so cannot comment.

Westendorf great for skiing a very interesting and steep black right off the gondola

Very pritty area as well and great nightlife

Easy to get between resorts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to both - Westendorf twice. Westendorf is very pretty and there's great skiing to be had, plus you can get the ski welt pass and try some of the other villages, however, it's not always snow sure so you might want to check first. Good for mixed ability groups. Apress ski is good for families - sleigh rides, tyroleon thigh slapping etc. Obertauern is higher and snow sure, purpose built so less character, not so good for beginners. Skiing on all sides in all directions, lots of steeps reds and quiet a few blacks from memory. Not many blues. So, it depends what you are looking for. Oh yes - Obertauern is very cold - we went on a poor winter with no snow anywhere - we could still ski back to hotel and it was perishing, locals said it was much, much milder that year than normal. All these experiences were a long time ago though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, very useful information, I am tending towards Westendorf at the moment, even though its low, there is so much snow at the moment, pretty sure we'll be ok.

Thanks again, now for Mr Visa...... Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
neilkav, spoil yourself go for the 4* in Obertauern. The one we went to had a pillow menu Cool (duck down, wheat grain pillow, orthopaedic etc) and a five course gala dinner one night Very Happy £550 sounds cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
neilkav, correct - snow cover will not be an issue for obvious reasons Shocked and the Ski Welt with full cover and all the links open is just tip-top! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello neilkav,
been to Westendorf, not a button to access gondola. It's a short chairlift from village centre, then easy peasy traverse across to gondola.

Cheers Geoff
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffkay,

Cheers that sounds perfect, still not booked, wifey cant make her mind up lol
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello neilkav,
Westendorf does take some beating.
its own area is very nice, varied terrain and it's easy to link into the rest of the "ski welt" area
and on to Kitzbuhel/kirchberg. Spoilt for choice really
When Austria bans smoking in bars it will be perfect.

Cheers Geoff
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spent a long weekend in the area...Westendorf full of pikey irish and frightful english and eastern euros..some pretty good off piste with the massive dump we had but the piste sking looks yawnsome.. most of it kept shutting down..Brixham was far better in my view..maybe not as nice..but neither are particularly scenic villages...but better connections and ski area..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're off to Westendorf first week in February.

Do post a TR with your reccomendations and thoughts please if you choose there.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
4* Hotel in Obertauern gets my vote.
snow conditions
sabreboy,

Will do, it is Westendorf after all, really looking forwadr to it, any other SH in the area week commencing 21st Jan?
ski holidays
Obertauern is fantastic in my opinion, its been pretty good for me the times i have been, even got three days of powder in april 2010! westendorf is much bigger, but there is still plenty to explore on two sides in obertauern so dont let that put you off. Both great resorts, your spoiled for choice. im sure you will have a great time whichever you choose!Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy