Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro 2 SD card questions etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, I know that there are masses of HD camera threads on here. Embarassed

I got a Go Pro 2 for Christmas from the mrs, I'm very spoiled.

Which SD card should I go with? Reading some of the camera forums it seems that there have been issues with some SD cards being unreliable with the new Go Pro. I have been looking at a Kingston 32GB class 10 card; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-32GB-Class-Flash/dp/B004TS1IFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324900541&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Is it advisable to get a class 10 card? What are the advantages of a higher class card?

Cheers snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-12-11 18:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go class 10. I have used lower class cards (Cool and the quality and the dump down speed starts to show its true colours.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife got me one for Xmas as well! Can't wait to use it. I got the class 10 card as well. Incidentally my wife got it from dogcam, she said the customer service was awesome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have looked at Dogcam for a few bits, LCD bac and additional batteries, Amazon seemed a little cheaper though...

Does 4hrs at 1080p sound about right for a 32GB card?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiers and snowboarders have the best wives, I too got a Go Pro 2 from Santa. Plus my socks were ski socks not Simpsons/or other novelty socks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
all,

class 10 is recommended if shooting time lapse at a high capture rate, a good class 6 will suffice for the rest. Moby Memory currently have 32gb class 10 cards on sale for just over £20.

However the limiting factor is more likely to be battery life, with 2-2/12 hours the expected length. Less at low temperatures.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, thanks for the advice.

I've gone for a Scan disk Extreme 32GB class 10, as I do want to attempt some time lapse stuff.

Now. Any thoughts on the mysterious world of editing? Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 28-12-11 14:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the cineform software that you can et direct from gorpo is okay for really basic stuff, i use corel video studio 4 pro, but the guys i know who do serious stuff use high end macs and adobe software.

there are other things like vegas and moviemaker. My suggestion would be to download the free trial that most of the providers make available on their websites and have a play.

word of caution, editing video is heavy on the processor, memory and i/o so you will need a reasonable spec machine to work effectively.

regards
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1, that's what I was thinking of doing; downloading Sony Vegas 10 free for 30 days and seeing how i get on..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds like a good plan, quick bit of advice, to get the best out of the free period if posible install on a clean machine, try it out then wipe it, the try the next piece of software, dont try to install 2 or 3 on the same machine as i found, as with some av software there are some shared files which may cause some unexpected crashes.

have fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmmm... are we helmet mounting on one side or the top? What are the pros and cons of each method?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morning all,

Santa has been kind this year!

I have some info on SD cards for you. Since you are using a high quality HD camera you should not skimp out on the SD card. Certainly go for a class 10 card but more importantly go for a good brand and make sure whoever you purchase it from can be contacted in case you need to send it back.
Recently, Toshiba who make the chipsets that go in a lot of SD cards made some changes that made a lot of good quality cards useless for this type of camera. Unfortunately, most brands do not give info on the type of chipset being used.

If you find you're getting choppy playback or if the camera simply rejects the card "SD ERR" then the card you are using is no good.
We've personally tested the Integral range and they work great in all HD cameras - just make sure you go for the ones that are higher than 22mb/s.

Their new 32gb 45mb/s cards are extremely good, you'll pay a bit more but that card will last and it will be much less likely to break down on you when you're out filming. Plus you get the benefits of faster file transfer.

As for editing footage; we also use Sony Vegas here and although there is a bit of a learning curve involved, it's an excellent bit of software with some really powerful tools like image stabilisation and rolling shutter correction. If you're using Vista or 7 then you can download Windows LIVE move maker for free which is quite basic but very easy to use. For MAC users, iMovie is a great place to start.

Feast wrote:

Does 4hrs at 1080p sound about right for a 32GB card?

Yes, that is about right for the GoPro HD 2 cameras.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers,

Mark
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogcamsport, thanks very much for your input.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just purchased online one of theses http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/PNY/PNY-16GB-Professional-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---Class-10

and one of these

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/MyMemory/MyMemory-16GB-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---Class-10

Anyone know how likely they are to work?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MattMattMatt, I have tried a whole range of cards, different sizes (1gb,2gb,4gb,16gb,32gb), different classes (2,4,6,10) and different makes (too many to mention) and haven't found one that doesn't work yet. I haven't actually tried them all on all the available options though (60fps, 120fps, phto timelapse at 0.5, 10fps etc) so can't reliably comment if they are fully compatible, I may have course just been lucky.
snow conditions
I've gone for 2 x 16GB cards based on a few factors:
- cheaper than one 32GB card
- spare card in case of failure
- battery will be flat before card is full
- will be downloading the laptop each night - pop one out, put the fresh one in, download the full one. Doing this means you won't be on the hill while the card is still in the laptop!

Ended up with a Transcend Class 10 from Play.

Camera arrives at the weekend - can't wait to get some filming done!
latest report
I can report both of the cards I ordered have arrived and are working fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy