Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short transfer recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I think the title says it all. We are traveling as two families with two infants, two toddlers and a nearly teenager. Short transfers between airport and resort are almost a necessity to reduce stress and annoyance of fellow travelers who do not appreciate kid’s.

What resort would you recommend for a quick transfer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a similar situation two years ago we went to Morzine. 1hr 15 from Geneva if I remember. I'm sure there are shorter, but it was a resort that workd well for buggies and babysitting non-skiiers too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who did you travel with, what accomodation did you use? We are thinking Les Gets which I believe is near Morzine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H, are you looking at any particular country or particular part of the season?
The generic answer for this seems to be Flaine or les Gets if travelling via Geneva - but, for example, les Gets is low and might not be a good option for late season.
The other common answer revolves around flights into Salzburg.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Local taxis will charge you around €100 for Geneva to Chatel. It is about an hour and ten or so. The Innsbruck area is also quite close to the airport and city.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can bag a flight to Sion, it's not far to Nendaz!

More likely though, as you've already mentioned, lots of bits of Porte Du Soleil near GVA.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine and Morzine from Geneva are one of the shortest at just over an hour, and there are a number of resorts within two hours of Geneva. The link http://www.igluski.com/geneva-skiing gives transfer times from Geneva and http://www.ski-transfers.com/airport_transfers_time_calculator.php does some more, although I'm not sure I trust it totally. I would expect to take at least an hour from Geneva to Chamonix. Salzburg is close to many resorts http://www.ski-transfer-finder.co.uk/

If you go to a Swiss resort many are reachable by train, which is much more family friendly. Villars is quite accessible from Geneva.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freddie Paellahead, Possibly France as we want a catered chalet and there are more options. However, we are just in the planning stages so we need to find the right blend GOOD RESORT + BEGINNERS SLOPES + CHILD CARE + SHORT TRANSFER. Tends to reduce options but it is important my children are happy and safe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freddie Paellahead, Looking at xmas next year. Is Les Gets too risky? I know its a bit lower? The higher we look the longer the transfer. Imagine that! rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 29-12-11 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike-H, les Gets then providing not too late in the season Very Happy wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

La Plagne might be a good option?

Good resort+beginners slopes+childcare+ short transfer - just over an hour from Chambery.

Happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow and Sunshine, Thanks for reply. Stayed at La Plagne 1800 last time. Transfer from Chambery took about 3 hours there and 2 on way back. Thanks to Crystal they also moved our flights from am to evening so the kids were a tad testing at times. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Mike,

For xmas next year you would be very unlucky for the likes of les Gets not to be in good condition. Another option to think about would be Samoens - great beginner ski area at top of the express lift out of town, at 1600m so snow will be fine there. only 1 hour transfer, and much less twisty road than any other transfer I can think of, which would be good for kids. Linked to flaine of course. Les Carroz also linked to Flaine is a good family option too. La Clusaz and Grand Bornand would also tick the boxes - 50 mins transfer.

cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Gets is heaving with families at the moment - lots of good reports and happy little people with Ski Famille and the snow is pretty ace too. La Plagne is great but for families with young children I think Les Gets is a great choice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if you can wait a bit last minute check out http://www.espritski.com/offers/ ( thats esprit ) - who will cover all you childcare issues with ease
and that will greatly help out

They often have some very good 4 & 5 person holidays at last minute ( if you check it now you will see that 5 people for 1500 is possible in a weeks time.

might be worth a look at least to get an ides of resorts & transfers anyway - as they will have done all the hard work for you and you can get hold of a brochure
to check the resorts
ski holidays
Mike-H, travelling with that combination, I think I'd hire 2 cars. The drive to Les Gets is very easy - no big mountain roads to negotiate. If you hire from the Swiss side of Geneva airport you'll get snowtyres, and would be very unlucky (or lucky, depending on your point of view) to have to use chains as well. Les Gets is a bit more manageable for families than Morzine.

I'd be a little wary of Chambery. Flights into Chambery are quite often disrupted - it doesn't cope well with fog, in particular.

Yes, you are by no means guaranteed good snow that early in Les Gets - luck of the draw. But to be reasonably sure of good snow at Christmas you have to head a lot higher, and that's more hassle, further away, and if the weather is cold and bleak, not much fun for kids.
ski holidays
Serre Che or the Milk Way resorts. All close to Turin.
snow report
Hey Mike,

Just posted a long-ish reply in your other thread (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84056) before I'd seen this one.

I didn't mention transfers - to be fair they are usually just over a couple of hours each way from Geneva to La Tania, though I guess if you did Chambery it would be less, but as the transfers were in small 8 passenger mini buses, and as others were families the kids annoying others wasn't so much an issue. This year the mini bus drivers were also very patient when our just turned three year old needed to stop for a wee every half an hour. rolling eyes (though thankfully the other 7 passengers on our bus were part of our group.)
snow report
Mike

Turin Airport works for Sauze d'Oulx and Montgenevre - 70 mins behind the wheel. Both are far higher than Les Gets. If you are interested, I might be able to fix a transfer to the latter...it depends on when.

If you're wanting Geneva, I'd pick Flaine over Les Gets due to better snow and easier transfer, although the place is ugly.
snow conditions
Mike

Vaujany, and Oz which link to ADH are all about an hour from Grenoble. We use it frequently for the same reason. Vaujany itself is pretty hilly though, and not ideal for buggies. You're as likely to have snow there at Christmas as anywhere.
snow report
Suspect the determining factor on length of transfer is the tour/coach company and not the distance . . . . . .

EG

Flight lands at T+0
Get off plane, through Passport control, bags arrive T+1/2 so all looking good as you've gone into Chambery which is really quick
Coach arrives, running a bit late as the driver had to have lunch so now T+1 but still on coach and hour after landing so looking good
2 members of the party can't find their bags/want to change some cash/want a coffee/put bags on the wrong bus so coach eventualy leave an hour late so your're now T+2
but hang on, bit of a faff whilst the reps counts people and works out who's going to which hotel so T+ 2 1/2
Transfer is an hour (as you've picked a close resort - have a gold star !) but coach goes slow and there is a bit of snow around so an hour extra so now T+ 4 1/2
Get off the coach but you have kids so not the first to the check in desk so at the back of the queue so takes an hour from getting of off the coach to your room rather than 1/2 hour so now T + 6 1/2.
Discussion in the bar as to which buffoon agreed to go on a package tour - . . . . .

Or you DIY so you're off the plane and with bags in 1/2 hour. 1/2 hour to get the car sorted and packed and an hour drive with "your" favorite Gruffolo CD on so kids easy to deal with so T+ 2. Park up, no real queue so in room by T +2 1/2 so 4 hours saved. Discussion in the bar about what a stress free trip it was and what a wonderful husband you are.

So if I were with kids, not sure I'd want to rely on a coach transfer even if it is 'only an hour transfer' in the brochure. Suspect a few different views . . . .
snow report
Jungfrau Region if you fly into Berne Airport the t/fer time can be 45m-70m depending which resort you you select.

http://jungfrauregion.ch/
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The drive to Les Gets is very easy - no big mountain roads to negotiate.

Everyone says that.

I *hate* that road up to Morzine through Les Gets. Done it twice. Hate it.
latest report
gazza2, Been looking at espritski. Looks like a few options all inclusive around xmas for £900 and New Year for £1100 per adult. Free kids and reduced kids hopefully available. We do not have the option of booking last minute (or late) as my wife is a teacher and the two of the kids will be in school. We therefore accept we have to pay top whack.

gazzza, Thank you so much for both of your helpful replies. I will be researching your comments a bit further. The websites are not as slick as espritski but I will contact them for more help in the New Year.

alti - dude, Funny and quite true for some travelers. Last time the traffic to La Plagne was a killer. Back ups through traffic management of tunnels and similar.

Meeting with friends this weekend to discuss options. Not sure about hiring the car though. Not going to use it other than the transfer so it may be a couple of hundred Euros wasted.

I am such a kid. I seem to be spending all my spare time looking into skiing now Smile
snow report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Hi,

La Plagne might be a good option?

Good resort+beginners slopes+childcare+ short transfer - just over an hour from Chambery.

Happy planning!
Heather

On the back of a rocket maybe?! wink Unless there are shortcuts as I've always had a transfer?

Standard answer have a look as a guide here: http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html

All a bit dependant on conditions when you land naturally.

As a personal fan of Austira

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Innsbruck_Airport.html
snow conditions
As has been mentioned above Salzburg is another answer. If you can DIY and do a non saturday arrival it's very quick. We once did a tues-tues and spent less than 10 mins in the airport. Obertauern and Schladming are an hour away. Zell am See is 1h 15. Lofer is about 45mins and one of the big TOs goes there. I know it's not France and chalets are rare, but something to consider if you're at the planning stage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy