Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train stop at glencoe ski centre

Poster: A snowHead
I am just wondering what kind of demand there would be for a train station near glencoe ski centre. Obviously there are trains which go from Crianlarich to Fort William, and there are some stops near Glencoe

"Crianlarich to Fort William by train
It takes an average of 1h 46m to travel from Crianlarich to Fort William by train, over a distance of around 35 miles (56 km). There are normally 3 trains per day travelling from Crianlarich to Fort William and tickets for this journey start from £22.40 when you book in advance."

There is a bus which stops at the road end near Glencoe ski station, but only twice a day and not at the best times.

I have used trains in Switzerland. I am just wondering whether they travel at the average speed quoted in Thetrainline.com website?

Would you use a service which stopped at or near Glencoe ski centre which could be accessed from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Fort William?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rannoch Moor train station. Was stuggling to remember the name but google mapped it instead. Don't think there's even a road back to Glen Coe. Bridge of Orchy? All a long way away.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that where "Renton, Spud, Sickboy and Tommy go for a day out to the mountains. Filmed at Corrour Station on Rannoch Moor which can only be reached by train or a very long walk. It is on the Glasgow to Fort William line - see ScotRail for details of train services."?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bigtipper, aye that's it. Some walkers/mountaineers have had to sleep in the waiting room/shed overnight when they missed the last train.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bigtipper, Look at a map, the line from Crianlarich to Fort William loops around to the North then past Nevis Range. Bridge of Orchy is the closest station to Glencoe but it still looks at least 10 miles by road.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, or 10 miles extra train line, or mini bus
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, given that Rannoch Moor is one of the last great wildernesses in Europe and is a Designated Special Area of Conservation, there will never be a railway built across it. And even if there was the demand, which there isn't and never will be, it would cost about £10Bn to float (and I mean literally) a railway line over that type of land.

And when it gets to the top of Glencoe, the only options from then on are very expensive and visually intrusive viaduct, hideously expensive tunnel, or buffers.

In passing, I can recommend a stay at https://www.hostellingscotland.org.uk/hostels/loch-ossian/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes the train from Bridge of Orchy to Fort William goes a completely different route from any road: North-East, then North and then West and then South again, while the road goes North-West, then West, then North-East.There isn't even a footpath direct from Corrour station (Blackwater reservoir is in the way) and it is about the same distance as the crow flies from Glencoe as the road from Bridge of Orchy (about 11 miles). From Corrour you would have to walk on boggy tracks North-East and then South-East to nearly Kinlochleven and South over a mountain pass to Glencoe resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you saying that it does not make economic sense to build a furnicular under Rannoch moor from Bridge of Orchy to the top of Glencoe ski centre? There are not sufficient good ski days to justify the expense?

Or are you saying that the environmental impact is just too great, and the bat inspectors would come down on planning consent like a ton of concrete?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above madness as an idea. Maybe plausible for the Victorians where communities rise and fell on whether a train line reached them to deposit tourists.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The devils staircase out of Glencoe to Kinlocheven (sp) is is mad enough don't you think
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bigtipper, an 11 mile funicular where there is already a good road, just to service a tiny ski area that can barely stay afloat anyway?! (Regardless of any damage to virgin landscape.)

@stevew, that's a lovely walk.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 14-05-21 19:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowball, hardly virgin landscape. But definitely not warranting a funicular.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowball, absolutely did it when did west Highland way decades ago
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Inboard, well, virgin except for the one road (see road on right). Unless you count what animals have done to the landscape.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 14-05-21 23:26; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Cheaper to run a few more buses surely.
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
Are you saying that it does not make economic sense to build a furnicular under Rannoch moor from Bridge of Orchy to the top of Glencoe ski centre? There are not sufficient good ski days to justify the expense?

Or are you saying that the environmental impact is just too great, and the bat inspectors would come down on planning consent like a ton of concrete?

What are you on- can I have some please?
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:

I think there has to be the demand, and most people here are saying that they would not get the train to Bridge of Orchy and then a bus. They might go to Crianlarich and catch the bus in the morning, but the way back they would probably miss the bus and have to walk or hitch back or stay.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

I think there has to be the demand, and most people here are saying that they would not get the train to Bridge of Orchy and then a bus. They might go to Crianlarich and catch the bus in the morning, but the way back they would probably miss the bus and have to walk or hitch back or stay.

I don't think anyone has said that.
snow conditions
@adithorp, it has been implied Laughing
snow report
@Bigtipper, There is not enough demand.

Compared to a car

I grew up on Loch Lomond. If I had to get from Balloch I'd have to go to Dumbarton in a car (or bus) and wait for a train. By that time I would be at Ardlui if I was in Stirling I would have to get the train to Glasgow then onto the west highland line. By that time I could be at Crainlarich.

If I was in paisley I'd cross the Erskine bridge and be at Ardlui by the time a train was boarded.

So you are limited to a catchment area of people near the west highland line train stops and those that ski there will have a car or can easily get to the existing city link stop.

There is one near me in Glasgow West End so a bus would be a better option than train and takes 2hr 40 (including a 15 min walk up the access road) and you would get there on the first buss right a peak queue time. Or simply drive, leave home at 6.30, arrive at 8.15, buy ticket, get boots on and up the chairlift.

If coming from down south you would need to get the train the Glasgow Central then cross to Queenstreet for the west highland line train.

Unless you get the Caledonian sleeper. Which will be busy.

If coming from Edinburgh the train is 1-2 hours slower than driving

Given the catchment area and the alternatives, a train is a non starter. Even if there was a stop people would not use it.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 15-05-21 10:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
@adithorp, it has been implied Laughing

I don't think that's what's being implied but probably best you keep thinking that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy