Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riksgransen, Sweden. Anyone been there?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My brother lives in Sweden and is thinking about a trip to Riksgransen at the very end of April. As an experience, and hopefully see the aurora (spelling?)I have looked at getting there and it would cost more to get there than to ski for 3/4 days. Just wondered if anyone has been there?

I may be able to ski again this year but I cant go untill earliest 25 april, is there anywhere else that late in the season?

Thanks all you worldly wise snowHead's
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi - I visited Riksgransen a few seasons back. Actually skied there the first weekend in June as, at that time of year, they run the lifts til 1am allowing you to ski beneath the midnight sun. I enjoyed the trip (took sleeper train from Stockholm). There wasn't much snow but it was a great experience.
I'm seriously considering going back this year in late April/early May as there should be plenty of snow and other nearby resorts will also be open like Bjorkliden and the fantastic Narvik (on the Atlantic coast about an hour from Riksgransen on the train), so will probably do a little ski-rail safari trip between the three. Expect I'd try and fly tp Narvik this time as the sleeper train was a bit of a slog.
I'd recommend northern Sweden/Norway at that time of year over the Alps as you still have nice cold temperatures (5 degrees or less) good snow conditions, really long daylight, and the whole winter-wonderland feel. I've skied in the Alps around late April and early May at places like L2A and Zermatt but it's usually just been a slush-fest with temperatures around 15-20 degs.
Neil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neil Neige, Brilliant, thankyou, My brother is not deciding for sure till end of feb, I am a bit worried the flight will be too much by then, Do you need a buddy? I was looking at 29th april to 3rd may ish.

Are the trains expensive from Narvik? I could not work out how much it costs to fly my skis with Norwegian.com. I usually put all my luggage in the same bag, and take hand luggage so its tricky finding out. Otherwise perhaps fly to Kiruna with Swedish ailines but not looked at that yet.

I watched a program called Ride Guide snow on the extreme sports channel, they went to Narvik, mind you they were serious off piste skiers, It looks awesome.I think the progamme is repeated about 7.30 am tomorrow there are 3 programmes ina row if you are interested.

Riksgransen's website is rubbish, when you start trying to book it just keeps going back to Swedish. Embarassed My dyslexic brain cant cope with English rolling eyes How did you book?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im Swedish, and I have work there for 30 years ago, end of april early May is the best time to to go there, Nearby Björkliden use to close 2nd weekend in May, Narvik close the station 1 May, but there is still possible to make AT with the wiew of atlantic, in the area there is also Abisko and the mountain Noulja also called "Scandinavia La Grave" one mountain, one chairlift complete offpist, but there is a skipatrol, perhaps a little late on season for ski Noulja Its not a option to take the nighttrain from Stockholm?
Nice trip
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youngeratheart wrote:
Neil Neige, Brilliant, thankyou, My brother is not deciding for sure till end of feb, I am a bit worried the flight will be too much by then, Do you need a buddy? I was looking at 29th april to 3rd may ish.
Are the trains expensive from Narvik? I could not work out how much it costs to fly my skis with Norwegian.com. I usually put all my luggage in the same bag, and take hand luggage so its tricky finding out. Otherwise perhaps fly to Kiruna with Swedish ailines but not looked at that yet.
I watched a program called Ride Guide snow on the extreme sports channel, they went to Narvik, mind you they were serious off piste skiers, It looks awesome.I think the progamme is repeated about 7.30 am tomorrow there are 3 programmes ina row if you are interested.
Riksgransen's website is rubbish, when you start trying to book it just keeps going back to Swedish. Embarassed My dyslexic brain cant cope with English rolling eyes How did you book?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks

Hi - glad to have helped!
I might well be looking for a buddy but probably won't know til mid-March whether I can afford to go (am on short-term work at the mo). Was set to go last year but didn't in the end coz my friend dropped out. Sad
Err, in response to the questions...
I seem to recall the Narvik-Riks train was pretty reasonable priced. We took a day trip to Narvik - everything was a bit cheaper there than in Riksgransen.
Yeah, Kiruna airport could be a better bet. When I was checking flights to Narvik I don't think it was prohibitive (i.e. no more than £200).
Yep, Narvik is amazing. I would love to ski there. One of the biggest VDs in Scandinavia, and the views of the sea/fjords are incredible. There were only patches of snow in June when we went but should be ok in late April.
Plenty of snow there at the mo (http://www.webkameraerinorge.com/webcams.php?viewcam=64).
For the Riksgransen hotel, perhaps just easier to email them, rather than trying to fathom out the website?
Neil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
youngeratheart, I suspect if you ask freeheelskier nicely he might help you with the Swedish - he's posted lots of very helpful and detailed advice on Snowheads.

It sounds a wonderful place to go. I am working on my XC skiing and maybe one day, if I get good enough at it before I get too old, I might do a trip up there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://webbkameror.se/skidkameror/riksgransen/riksgransen_2_640.php
http://webbkameror.se/skidkameror/bjorkliden/skidkamera_bjorkliden_2.php
Not alot of snow at Rikgränsen and Björkliden for this time, they open in two weeks, but there is still long time to april so there will hopefull be more snow
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been to Riks about three times, can't exactly remember Confused

We go there when we do Lyngen, sometimes before, sometimes after.

They also have a heli operation (only time I've done heli) which is reasonably priced.

We always end up going end of April beginning of May and snow is always great, though as Freeheelskier says Narvik by then is a bit sparse and wet.

We fly to Tromos and drive down (rent a car) though Narvik & Kiruna are closer - also a nice train trip from Narvik to Riks.

Enjoy - and if you're single can not think of a better place Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 7-02-12 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went there in May last year (first weekend) and had a great time. We headed up for the May Bank Holiday, so got in three days of skiing. Our flights, with Norwegian, were very reasonable (around £150 I think) to Harstad/Narvik. Some fun skiing, with some hiking needed, but very good craic. We did some heli stuff with http://www.mountainguide.se/default.asp?languageId=44 . Pretty reasonble and a brilliant experience. Stay in the hostel and you will save a fair few quid.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aaahh, You all make it sound so good, but I've been looking at how to get there and looks like it will be too much money to get there and I havent even found out how much it will cost once I do get there, I'd like to take my own skis, I usually take all my stuff in a dakine snowboard wheely bag. If I fly Norwegian they will charge me for both legs of the flight so in other words I'd have to pay 4 times for the round trip, also they dont tell you how much????? Am I being stupid?

Think I'll call the Hotel there tomorrow on the internet phone. I got a price of about £47 per night in the Hostel.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Weathercam, Solo skiier not single! OH might not let me go if he sees your post!!! Toofy Grin

Thanks

freeheelskier, How do I find out how much the night train would cost I can only find Eurail pass info but I know you have to pay extra for a couchette?

Thanks all
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youngeratheart wrote:
Aaahh, You all make it sound so good, but I've been looking at how to get there and looks like it will be too much money to get there and I havent even found out how much it will cost once I do get there, I'd like to take my own skis, I usually take all my stuff in a dakine snowboard wheely bag. If I fly Norwegian they will charge me for both legs of the flight so in other words I'd have to pay 4 times for the round trip, also they dont tell you how much????? Am I being stupid?
Think I'll call the Hotel there tomorrow on the internet phone. I got a price of about £47 per night in the Hostel.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Weathercam, Solo skiier not single! OH might not let me go if he sees your post!!! Toofy Grin
Thanks
freeheelskier, How do I find out how much the night train would cost I can only find Eurail pass info but I know you have to pay extra for a couchette?
Thanks all

When I took the sleeper from Stockholm to Riks about 5 years ago, it cost around £100 including couchette so it wasn't prohibitive. It dragged on a bit though (scenery interesting-ish but not spectacular) - oh, and there were some pesky kids in the compartment next door! So if I returned, I'd try and fly to Narvik or Kiruna.
Which hostel are you referring to? The one in Narvik? £47 per night sounds very expensive.
Presumably that's for your own room?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige, I got this price from the web, but It was all in Swedish so thats why i think I should call tomorrow, The Hostel said it was 300m from the train station at Riksgransen.

I am not quitting yet, I 'll post here if I come up with anything. I will probably wait till my bro decides if he is going to Alps earlier or if we will go to Riks end of April.

Toofy Grin I'll go anyway if I can be sensible about the budget. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could also have a look at SAS to Oslo, free ski carriage and then Norwegian to harstad/narvik.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
youngeratheart wrote:
Neil Neige, I got this price from the web, but It was all in Swedish so thats why i think I should call tomorrow, The Hostel said it was 300m from the train station at Riksgransen.
I am not quitting yet, I 'll post here if I come up with anything. I will probably wait till my bro decides if he is going to Alps earlier or if we will go to Riks end of April.
Toofy Grin I'll go anyway if I can be sensible about the budget. Laughing

Hi, err, younger.
AFAIK*, there's only one place offering accom at Riksgransen (in fact there's only really one place at Riksgransen), and that's the big hotel. Maybe they market part of the hotel as a hostel these days (I went about 6 years ago).
There is a proper hostel down in Narvik tho, and Narvik has a lot more going on then Riks (plus cheaper restaurants) so you might wanna consider staying down there. The train ride between the two places is fantastic, and also pretty frequent and reasonably priced.
Neil

*As Far As I Know
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neil Neige,
Quote:

there's only one place offering accom at Riksgransen (in fact there's only really one place at Riksgransen), and that's the big hotel. Maybe they market part of the hotel as a hostel these days (I went about 6 years ago).
There is a proper hostel down in Narvik tho, and Narvik has a lot more going on then Riks (plus cheaper restaurants) so you might wanna consider staying down there. The train ride between the two places is fantastic, and also pretty frequent and reasonably priced.

At Riksgränsen there is Hotell Riksgränsen, Meteorologen Skilodge, one Appartment hotel and there is also Låktatjåkko Fjällstation a nice Refuge a few km away up on the mountain,, also there is a Camping for caravans and mobilecars, from May there is alot of skier with tent that make camping, I can't belive that Narvik would be cheaper to stay at,, so late in season there is no reason for a skier to stay there,, But Narvik is a nice town so, but if you come up here for skiing its better to stay in Riksgränsen,, and the nightclub Grönan it use to be a great party during highseason, even if its expensive with the beer,,,
latest report
There is a hostel in Riks, I stayed there last year.
ski holidays
freeheelskier wrote:
Neil Neige,
Quote:

there's only one place offering accom at Riksgransen (in fact there's only really one place at Riksgransen), and that's the big hotel. Maybe they market part of the hotel as a hostel these days (I went about 6 years ago).

At Riksgränsen there is Hotell Riksgränsen, Meteorologen Skilodge, one Appartment hotel and there is also Låktatjåkko Fjällstation a nice Refuge a few km away up on the mountain,, also there is a Camping for caravans and mobilecars, from May there is alot of skier with tent that make camping, I can't belive that Narvik would be cheaper to stay at,, so late in season there is no reason for a skier to stay there,, But Narvik is a nice town so, but if you come up here for skiing its better to stay in Riksgränsen,, and the nightclub Grönan it use to be a great party during highseason, even if its expensive with the beer,,,

Oh, thanks for the clarification. My info is clearly lacking in accuracy! Went there once, possibly 7 or 8 years ago actually and thought the hotel was the only thing there. I do remember the hotel being very expensive - we went for a meal in Narvik (Italian type place) and it was quite a bit cheaper than eating in the hotel.
If I do a rail-safari trip this season arriving at Narvik airport, I'll probably have a night in Narvik, then 2 or 3 up in Riks or Bjorkliden.
Neil
snow report
I was out there with the Marines in 2004 - we used to go to Riksgransen for the odd Saturday and very occasional weekend if the programme allowed us to do so.

So, a few years ago but from what I remember:

- it was ridiculously cold. Definitely -10 degrees and below most of the time.
- the hotel there had a decent ish bar and ran a disco in the evenings. The rooms were small but not too pricey if you were ok sharing.
- the little cafe at the bottom of the main lift up wasn't too expensive and I seem to remember the pizza being fairly edible.
- not too much in the way of off-piste skiing, but some very very good short but sweet red runs at the top.
- too many T bars!
- you could ski the whole resort in a day, but there were some good runs.
- blue run back to the accomm area had a huge steep section right at the end; definitely red steep / borderline black
- we were skiing there until early April from what I remember and there was still good snow there.

There was another smaller resort up the road which we also went to a few times. I preferred some of the slopes there and it had a better atmosphere, but it was nowhere near as big. Can't remember its name I'm afraid.

The aurora is fantastic when you see it, but it's pretty unpredictable. If it is out and the sky is clear, you will definitely be able to see it from Riksgransen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy