Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traveling with own boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

This is my first year taking my own boots to Andorra and was wondering what is the best way of traveling with them? Hand luggage or main bag? Do you pay for extra baggage allowance? Finding it quite hard to get anywhere near the weight limits for flying

Cheers Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do a search and you'll see it's a can of worms topic.

I always take myn hand luggage (admittedly they are snowboard boots, but we usually do the same with my wife's ski boots), many others on here do the same. But equally many others on here think the concept of carrying them hand luggage is bonkers, and there are some who've either had problems or heard of others having problems at certain airports (I think it was Chambery or grenoble I forget which). But for the last 4-5 years I've had no problems at : Heathrow, Gatwick, Geneva, Lyon or Denver. I stick them in a "69" position in a rucksack that is within the hand luggage dimensions, and stuff socks gloves etc inside. I end up with enough space to ram in my thermal top, and ski trousers.

Or, stick them in your main hold bag, and take some other crap out that you don't need and cram that in your hand luggage instead if necessary.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I generally pack mine within my main luggage, of course taking care to remain within the airline luggage allowance. If you are flying with our friends at RyanAir it makes sense to upgrade to 20Kg..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Link to airline polices in this topic

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84001
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey Dan - I pack my ski boots in my main luggage - usually stuff them with socks and then make sure each boot is well padded around - ski pants/fleeces are good for that - I always us carrier bags to segregate my items and so the boots are in contact with bags not clothing... which I prefer the idea of. Have done this for a few years now and so far so good!

Personallly I wouldn't want to take them as hand luggage because I'm carrying helmet/camera already and prefer a lighter hand held option.

Hope it works out for you Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm flying to Andorra (one month yesterday yeeeaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!) We're in the same boat with the travelling with boots for the first time situation. I spoke to my travel agent and scoured the crystal website (for a change they were both helpful and agreed with each other) Basically you can take them as hold luggage as an extra bag as long as this then doesn't exceed your 20kg allowance, I have weighed mine with gloves, socks, hats, baselayers in the boot bag (which I will then be padlocking) and it barely hits 6kg so I don't forsee it being too much of a weight issue with my suitcase. I intend to kick up stink and blame everyone except myself if it doesn't work so you could take that line if it fails. Hope this helps!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the last 4 years I pack my boots in a separate compartment in the bottom of my bag which is actually manufactured for ski boots (bought in Nevis Sport), and there is actually tons of room for other items to pack round them, as well as the top compartment in the bag for sallopettes and other bits and pieces.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hold bag/main luggage. I have my own skis though and hence bag. You can fit a huge ammount in a ski bag if you're creative Laughing helps pad it out a bit to for increased ski protection.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my hard sided suitcase every time - don't fancy the chance of a soft bootbag making it through the baggage system unscathed! Pack extra stuff in ski bag to give me enough weight to accomodate this in my hold allowance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy