Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Brands

Poster: A snowHead
I've currently got a top of the(ir) range technical Dare2b ski jacket Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed which I find OK but I'd like to replace it next year with something slightly classier and better quality. We live close to Gloucester Outlet wherer there are some outdoor suppliers (Hally Hansen and Tog24) but I'm concerend that both these brands are a little lightweight. Roughly speaking is the order of quality someting like....

Trespass
Dare2b
Tog24
Helly Hansen
Burton
North Face
Spyder

I'd really like Spyder gear but this is probably a bit too dear. Is it worth spending he money on North Face and will there be deals to be had post season and maybe outlets / eBay?

Cheers, Pete
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyder - usually too warm and heavy for Europe
North Face - used to be good, now it's just a fashion label, no real/technical advantage over, say, Trespass.

My best advice - buy the jacket that fits you best, and you like the look of. I don't think that on that list there is a brand that's head and shoulders above the other, but try and buy one that has a waterproof membrane and does not rely only on a DWR coating to keep you dry.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no 'order' - but Spyder is god-awful, puke ugly, and eye wateringly expensive for dubious quality.

It really depends what you are looking for though, if all you do is stick to the pistes or close to them, pretty much anything will be fine. What problems do you ahve with your curent kit?

I like TNF as I've had a lot of their kit, and with the exception of one pair of gloves it's been brilliant, and very long lasting. Their Summit Series is the equal of anything out there, and often a bit cheaper than many competitors. Nothing wrong with HH either.

Generally any of the climbing brands make great, high quality kit (TNF, Arcteryx, Haglofs, Patagonia, Montane, Rab, etc) - but it is expensive. Mountain Equipment are British and make kit to the same quality for a bit less. Sweet Protection and Norrona also make ace kit, but again very expensive. Generally climbing jackets are cheaper than the exact same spec but ski labelled jacket - somehow the addition of a powder skirt and lift pass pocket on the sleeve add £100 to the price...
Paying full price for any of this is stupid - there are always brilliant deals at the end of the season/during the summer (my current TNF shell was £280, I got it for £125, saw it recently 'on sale' somewhere else for £200) - not sure if Sweet still have their deal on, but they did have some of last seasons stuff at circa 50% off recently. Saw some heavily discounted Norrona kit somewhere recently too.

The TNF and HH outlets at Bicester may be worth a visit.

All this stuff could be waaay overkill though, if you're not getting 'out there' away from resorts/pistes/lifts and skiing in ALL conditions, there is little point in spending the money.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugardaddy wrote:

North Face - used to be good, now it's just a fashion label, no real/technical advantage over, say, Trespass.

Rubbish, the Summit Series is as good as anything else on the market, and most of the HyVent stuff is great too. I agree that their lower level stuff is just overpriced 'street' wear trading on the label though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing wrong with HH kit and certainly way better than the Trespass / D2B section of the market.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, nothing wrong with my current kit at all really and I'm definitely an on piste fair weather type of skier! Perhaps I'll keep my current stuff after all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is no order - Burton make some cheap nasty and overpriced stuff, some North Face is pretty crappy some D2B or Trepass is actually pretty good (though they do seem to have some addiction to filling everything with insulation rather than produciung shells which is what everyone should be buying). HH make a bunch of pricepoint stuff for their outlets as well as regular high end kit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trespass now do quite good quality gear, i have just bought a pair of salopettes that are 15000mm hydrostatic head waterproof and 8000mm h/h breathable.

and got a helly hansen and a descente jacket off fleabay for £58 the lot ( jackets that is )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wouldn't buy trespass after last year's kids purchases, had to buy more gloves after 2 days due to poor insulation, and salopettes changed colour instantly on contact with snow as water started soaking in...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeteMan, wrote
Quote:

clarky999, nothing wrong with my current kit at all really and I'm definitely an on piste fair weather type of skier! Perhaps I'll keep my current stuff after all.

In that case, maybe you could buy a shell to replace your insulated jacket. Like Clarky said, try finding a mountaineering shell in the sales, it's going to be cheaper and more comfortable than a insulated ski jacket. Brand wise, maybe you could go for something from Millet or Eider, that make decent gear at prices lower than the likes of Arcterix or Norona
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HH at Gloucester Quays have had some v high spec jackets on sale this year. We often go there to renew our baselayers as the deals are excellent.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Rubbish, the Summit Series is as good as anything else on the market,
I'm not so sure. The last FreeThinker jacket I bought was disappointing. Nowhere near the quality of earlier versions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Basil wrote:
HH at Gloucester Quays have had some v high spec jackets on sale this year. We often go there to renew our baselayers as the deals are excellent.

Agreed HH had some top of their range jackets reduced from £300 to around £100 if I remember right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
I'm not so sure. The last FreeThinker jacket I bought was disappointing. Nowhere near the quality of earlier versions.

Really? In what way, wearing out or something?

My shell (Point 5 Mammatus or something, one of the climbing ones) has been excellent, shows no signs of it's two years of abuse, and being three layer Goretex Pro Shell is amazingly waterproof. My salopettes (Monte Cargo Pants) aren't even Summit Series, but have performed and taken abuse that frankly I wouldn't have expected anything to take over the last four years or so.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Really? In what way, wearing out or something?
Fewer pockets, smaller pockets, less sturdy construction, cheaper "feel". I've got 3 FreeThinker jackets and the newest version (FreeThinker II) is my least favourite.
latest report
PeteMan, if you want to look classier on the slopes, don't buy a new jacket, just a few lessons. The better you can ski, the crappier the gear you can get away with. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

if you want to look classier on the slopes, don't buy a new jacket, just a few lessons

+1
snow report
Quote:

The better you can ski, the crappier the gear you can get away with.

+1 Still wearing my insulated 'gardening' gloves ....but hasn't improved my crappy skiing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PeteMan, Where is Bogner, Kjus and Schoffel
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
PeteMan, Where is Bogner, Kjus and Schoffel

not on the list as they are over priced, pretentious tosh Little Angel
snow report
Marmot are another brand worth considering. I bought one of their Goretex Pro-Shell jackets a couple of years ago in an Ellis Brigham sale. Marketed for climbing rather than skiing. I don't remember the price, but it was very cheap for a 3-layer pro-shell and it has been great in all respects. Also makes a superb lightweight waterproof for the UK, so I use it all year round.

Also just to add my wife picked up a Merrell (better known for their excellent footwear) Goretex Pro-Shell from TKmax at a ridiculously cheap price. This has also been excellent and probably as good as my Marmot. In fact it looks and feels very similar.
snow conditions
Lora Piana have an excellent Fjord leather heated boot bag at £7000 I'm not sure whether it is available anywhere in Oxfordshire?
ski holidays
Lora Piana may be available in Bicester
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
Trespass now do quite good quality gear, i have just bought a pair of salopettes that are 15000mm hydrostatic head waterproof and 8000mm h/h breathable.

and got a helly hansen and a descente jacket off fleabay for £58 the lot ( jackets that is )

I got a Descente jacket half price in the 'Blues' sale a couple of years ago. Even then it was 2-3 years old (not used but had been in a warehouse somewhere) thus the colours are slightly naff. However it's the best jacket I've ever had by some way. You never feel hot in it, or cold, lovely soft shell, very comfortable to wear.
snow conditions
Two brands that are not in the UK but are worth buying and very high quality.

http://penguinclothing.ch/
http://missinglink.no/
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
Lora Piana may be available in Bicester

Lora Piana? Is that Cilla Black's favourite brand for listining to Bach or Mozart?
snow report
fatbob, Not up to your usual standard although I applaud the misspell to gain another composer- but look at Lora Piana website for a suitable boot bag for all aspiring BASI 3/4 possibly available in Bicester?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy