Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Mission 2007 or new ski's?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I owned mt Scott Missions for 4 years now and although I have been very happy with them, last year I hired some touring skis to to try skinning. I couldn't believe how light they were in comparisom. I felt that on piste they had so much more grip and more reactive to turn than my Missions. I can't remember how wide the touring skis were but by eye I would image they were 75 - 80mm. Was it the width or the weight that made them feel so much more reactive? I appreciate that the Scott's are more powder orientated and from experience have been great in such conditions however as I only ski for 1 week of each year and have no desire to own two sets. I also noticed that at high speed my Scotts feel a little unstable and I assume a stiffer piste ski will feel more stable? Could the easy turning be because the touring skis were raised hight from the ground, so should I consider riser plates on the Missions?

Is it worth chopping my Scott's in a opting for a 60/30 piste ski, and how much will I miss the Scotts when I occasionally ski off piste?

Apologies if this is a daft question, I have only ever owned my Scotts so have limited knowledge of the differnt types available. I have read that they are highly rated and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Any advice would be most welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Missions aren't really 'powder orientated,' they're good all round skis.

As to why the other skis felt better, could have been anything from construction to sidecut to width the camber profile to flex profile to length... What were they?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Missions can be flappy at speed. There are plenty of skis out there, the touring skis could well have been lighter! Thinner skis will be quicker edge to edge.

Best bet would be try some out, either on holiday or at a fridge!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clarky, length is 178 and I know they are 89mm wide. I am 6ft and 14 stone. For the last two years I've not lucked out on snow so spent most of the time charging around on-piste with some very good skiers and really noticed the difference on my hire ski's in terms of feeling skippy/responsive/light/grippy and stable at speed, conditions were icy and my Missions didn't cope well.

On the other hand; three years ago it I spend two days with a guide and loved the Missions off piste. To be honest I didn't have any issue with them until I tried something else.. grass is always geener and all that.

Kitenski, I think you're right. I need to try some alternatives. I have read the Dynastar Outland Pro's are good and more piste orientated but capable off piste. They have them at EB at the dome so may try them. The alternative is to keep the Missions for Jan holiday and if the conditions are limited to piste only then hire and few sets to get a feel for what's available.

Thanks both for your help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy