Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grande Massif V PDS V St Anton V 3V on the 20th of Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Righty,

how do they all compare? I've been to the 3 V and PDS and had great weeks but I'd like to try somewhere else. I've heard good things about the bars in Austria and I know very little about the big massive ( thats my fluent french translation skills, oui, mange tout Rodders)

Can you ski from St Anton into Lech?

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ive been to flaine twice and would definitely recommend it however ive never been to any of the other resorts so cant compare them sorry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both great places, both have a good variety of skiing and big networks, although not as big as the 3V or PdS. In my opinion both offer better skiing than the 3V though, more variety. Flaine is an "interesting" place and not to everyone's taste, I've stayed in Samoens and Les Carroz when I've skied the Grand Massif and they are both great villages - particularly Samoens.

However, for my tastes you cannot beat St Anton. It's a great place to stay, a huge range of accommodation, great restaurants and pubs and the skiing is excellent. Technically you can ski to Lech, but it's an off-piste route and not advisable without a guide. In reality the easiest way to Lech is to either get the bus from St Anton, which costs a few € (can't remember exactly, it was about €5 return I think). Or, you can ski across to Alpe Rauz and get the free bus to Zuers and ski from there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had been to morzine, val d'isere and la plagne prior to discovering st Anton in 2003 and have never looked back. There is something for everybody in st Anton and surrounding areas. The après is every bit as good as the skiing, something the other areas on your list don't match in my opinion.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everyone should try St anton once in their life(at least) it's a lot of fun in a borgois ish type of way but fun nonetheless and the skiing is very good
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied 3v all my life, but if you want something different I HAVE to recommend St Anton, it is brilliant. In addition to St Anton itself you have Lech and much more skiing an easy bus ride away giving you a huge variety of stuff to try. St Anton apres ski is legendary and must be sampled, as well as the food. So yeah, St Anton would be my first new place to go if I were you.

After that Chamonix/Argentiere has awesome skiing and good nightlife in Chamonix, but for me, Chamonix/Argentiere is all about the skiing, whereas St Anton is more of an all around holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah wrote:
Both great places, both have a good variety of skiing and big networks, although not as big as the 3V or PdS. In my opinion both offer better skiing than the 3V though, more variety. Flaine is an "interesting" place and not to everyone's taste, I've stayed in Samoens and Les Carroz when I've skied the Grand Massif and they are both great villages - particularly Samoens.

However, for my tastes you cannot beat St Anton. It's a great place to stay, a huge range of accommodation, great restaurants and pubs and the skiing is excellent. Technically you can ski to Lech, but it's an off-piste route and not advisable without a guide. In reality the easiest way to Lech is to either get the bus from St Anton, which costs a few € (can't remember exactly, it was about €5 return I think). Or, you can ski across to Alpe Rauz and get the free bus to Zuers and ski from there.

How long is the bus journey? We can't be dealing with any serious off piste. It's a real shame that they are not linked. The Arlberg piste map looks great.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sean1967, If you want more on piste than off Ischgl is also worth a look as it has more pistes when comparing it against just St Anton on it's own. Also has legendary apres but I find it more expenisve than St Anton and still not all that popular with Brits.

I think you have to try Austira, IMO it's a much better overall experience than France i.e. Skiing and apres package is unmatched. 3V and PDS are huge, you can get that sort of mileage in Austria but it usally means a bus linking areas but you can't cover 3V or PDS in a week so I wouldn't get hung up on size in terms of km's or runs. IMO 150km in a well linked area with good fast lifts is better than a disjointed area of say 400km plus area for a weeks skiing holiday.

If you're more after intermediate pistes consider Saalbach or Kitzbhuel-also on the Alpen All Star pass which includes a mahoosive area of:

1. Skigebiet Kitzbühel-Kirchberg
2. Skicircus Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang
3. Gletscherskigebiet Kaprun-Kitzsteinhorn
4. SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser-Brixental
5. Zell am See-Schmittenhöhe
6. St. Johann in Tirol-Oberndorf
7. Waidring-Steinplatte
8. Fieberbrunn-Pillersee
9. Alpbachtaler Bergbahnen
10. Wildschönau-Schatzberg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The missing pisted link is not much of an issue IMO. If you ski to alpe rauz it's only a 10 min free bus to zurs. If we are skiing lech we normally get a taxi - there's usually 6/7 of us so only 6/7 euros or so each.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What standard are you and what are you looking for in a ski holiday?

The Grand Massif is a great area but the apres is pretty poor and Flaine architecture is an acquired taste (I like it but not all do). There loads of really good piste skiing and the area links up really well. The off-piste is good but can be more dangerous that the location would suggest (hidden holes). For a mixed ability group keen on lots of piste and not botherd about living it up in the evening, it’s a good choice.

St Anton is awesome. Great après, great off-piste skiing, good piste skiing. It is, however, pretty poor for beginners. If you all know what you’re doing and are keen for a party, this is your choice.

3V is overrated in my opinion and I’ve only skied the Portes du Soleil for one day so can’t really comment
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sean1967 wrote:
sah wrote:

How long is the bus journey? We can't be dealing with any serious off piste. It's a real shame that they are not linked. The Arlberg piste map looks great.

The free bus from Alpe Rauz to Zuers is about 10 minutes, maybe slightly less. The paid bus from St Anton to Lech (you can get off in Zuers if you prefer) takes 30-40 minutes depending on where you get on and off (timetable here).

They might be linked one day, but in reality it's not a big deal. The same pass covers both areas, and if there is a small group of you a taxi is also pretty reasonable. I think the lack of link keeps Lech a bit quieter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, I agree with you regarding the link! No big deal to get a taxi or bus! There can be a queue for the taxis though but if it is a good blue sky day it aint a problem! Would hate to wait there in bad weather though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sean1967 wrote:
sah wrote:

St Anton is brilliant, if you like offpiste and apres, it's pretty much impossible to beat. However, sounds like you should look at Ischgl - similar vibe, but better piste skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy