Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phenix gear in TK Maxx........... thoughts ?

Poster: A snowHead
My first post at this great place Very Happy
Popped over to Lakeside yesterday and they had loads of Phenix jackets. One was the Extreme Boundary for £250 instead of £420 odd. I'm not aware of 'em but it seemed to be really well made but a bit bling for me what with its chrome logo on the sleeve. Is this stuff any good ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thecat10, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've no direct experience of Phenix but the instructors in La Thuile a couple of years back were kitted out in it. Generally speaking this is a good sign....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thecat10, You are in danger of falling for the old "spend £250 to save £170 trick". £250 is bonkers money to pay - there really is no need to spend big money on ski jackets... It's proably the last place to spend cash IMV

But don't take my word for it, the official Snowheads Order of Spending Merit (see threads passim) was confirmed earlier this year after an extensive, and as always, bad tempered debate;

1. Boots
2. Gloves
3. ridiculous pseudo-science 'base' layer
4. beer
5. Pants
6. trousers
7. walkie talkie
8. lip salve.
9. Jacket
10. Spag bol
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, I think you have missed one rather important item from that list, even though it is in jest. Surely skis/snowboard must come somewhere Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw the same kit in TK Mx Leeds. I had also seen ski instructors kitted out in similar the season before last.
Priced at £250/£300 labeled last season marked down from £400/500 & badged 'Norwegian ski team'.
I don't doubt the original price when made to order for the ski schools.
What did suprise me was the sheer number they had -
1) so many - were they a special for TK max Puzzled
2) £250 in the current economic climate Shocked
3) if they sell this number they become an chavy embarrasment Embarassed

They look nicely constructed with multi layers but I personally prefer an unlined gortex shell, 3 thin layers seem to keep me warm enough.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Myself and husband have had phenix gear for the past few seasons - have to say that it's brilliant and I would buy the same again if I could find it. I think the ski school in Obergurgl use it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thecat10, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Phenix is good stuff.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
thecat10, You are in danger of falling for the old "spend £250 to save £170 trick". £250 is bonkers money to pay - there really is no need to spend big money on ski jackets... It's proably the last place to spend cash IMV

Completely disagree, I think a decent jacket is essential, a cheap jacket can potentially leak, not be windproof and not breathable which means you overheat, get wet from the outside, and even worse get wet from the inside.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
thecat10, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Phenix is good stuff.

Oh my Gaudy!!!

If you're a bit of a skiwear anorak there are some great bargains to be had at TK Maxx. We've bought a stunning Dainese thermal jacket for the Missus for £39.99, RRP. £139. Reusch gloves and Spy Goggles for my daughter, Full Leather Rossi gloves for one of the boys.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
red 27 wrote:

Completely disagree, I think a decent jacket is essential, a cheap jacket can potentially leak, not be windproof and not breathable which means you overheat, get wet from the outside, and even worse get wet from the inside.

regards,

Greg

I agree. A mate I ski with has a non-breathing HH jacket. He sweats in it so much the damp reduces his body temp, useless. rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Downhilldan,
I,m probably being a bit dumb,but how would you know which jackets are breathable or not breathable?
Ta
Mitch
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mitchell wrote:
Downhilldan,
I,m probably being a bit dumb,but how would you know which jackets are breathable or not breathable?
Ta
Mitch

If they are breathable it will say so on the label inside the jacket, personally I don't think you can beat Goretex XCR. I have a lightweight Lowe Alpine jacket and apart from on the extremest of cold days it is the only jacket I wear..

You can get some good gear at TK Tatt, but you have to root and all the good stuff has probably gone by now. I got some leather Scott gloves for £30 a few weeks ago, original price £90, didn't need them but they match my ski's and pole's, so I am going for the co-ordinated look this year. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mitchell, almost all ski jackets will say they are "breathable". Unfortunately there are degrees of breathability.
The technology is rather clever, coz you also want it waterproof. To keep the water droplets from coming in, but let the water vapour out, is quite clever.
There are various standards and measures of breathability - maybe some other snowhead could elucidate.

thecat10, Phenix (not to be confused with Pheonix) is a Norwegian company. I know nothing about them. The jackets on the website look rather smart. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Phenix (not to be confused with Pheonix) is a Norwegian company
Puzzled

Japanese snowHead
latest report
Japanese so bound to be a bit gaudy with shoulder pads like a stormtrooper - see also Goldwin and the Shoestring/Spandau Ballet look in the film Aspen Extreme
snow conditions
Lechbob, silly me.

I got the idea from this page on the Phenix site.

That will teach me to read things more carefully. rolling eyes
snow report
Lechbob pedantically wrote:
Japanese
but made in China like everything else. It looked beutifully constructed.
If you look at Ellis Brigham prices for jackets of £200-700 the Phenix jacket looked good value.
If you skied most days all season I could justify the spending as it looks like the jacket would wear well.
If you are likely to need to survive extreme conditions then you would want the best available.
Many cheaper jackets are sufficiently water/ wind resistant & breathable for casual use.
snow conditions
kitenski, Downhilldan, A decent Goretex shell is £50... T-shirt (or Base Layer if you're flash) and fleece underneath and jobsagoodun. That combo does me for skiing, climbing, & mountaineering, and believe me I've seen all sorts of conditions.

Spend £250 on a ski-brand jacket and you'll just stamp PUNTER across your forehead Very Happy
snow report
Kel wrote:

You can get some good gear at TK Tatt, but you have to root and all the good stuff has probably gone by now. I got some leather Scott gloves for £30 a few weeks ago, original price £90, didn't need them but they match my ski's and pole's, so I am going for the co-ordinated look this year. Embarassed

TK Maxx don't just get one lot of ski gear in at the start of the season. They keep getting more in right through until about April.

Of course each batch of stuff they get in will have different things in it - if you ever see seomething in TK Maxx that you want, you really have to buy it then because there is no guarantee they will still have it, or ever get more of it, if you go back later.
snow conditions
Mitchell wrote:
Downhilldan,
Ta
Mitch

It will always say so on the label or attached "information" cards if it is breathable.

Most, but by no means all jackets sold for skiing will be breathable, but there are degrees of breathability.

The better ones will give a rating, of the form x,000g where x can be anything from about 2 to 50. That in theory is the number of grams of water vapour which will pass through 1 square metre of the fabric in 24 hours. The higher the number, the better.

If it just says "breathable" without giving a value, then it is likely to be below 5,000g. I believe the majority of mid-range ski jackets are between 5,000g and 10,000g - for instance <http>
snow report
red 27 wrote:
kitenski, Downhilldan, A decent Goretex shell is £50...

really, please show me where Smile (seriously!!) Also after cheap waterproof walking trousers (not salopettes) for dog walking in all weathers!!

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Kel wrote:

TK Maxx don't just get one lot of ski gear in at the start of the season. They keep getting more in right through until about April.

Of course each batch of stuff they get in will have different things in it - if you ever see seomething in TK Maxx that you want, you really have to buy it then because there is no guarantee they will still have it, or ever get more of it, if you go back later.

and each store has a seemingly random stock, eg. Salisbury a mere 23 Miles from Southampton has a totally diferent range of stock, even the Goggles are different makes. Southampton had a load of Stella McCartney ski wear Salisbury had none, but had loads of Helly Hansen.
ski holidays
I tried on a Phenix jacket today at TK... not the Norway team jacket another type. Beautifully made and fitted like a glove... lovely tailored fit compared to the bin bag fit you get with cheaper jackets.

Definitely worth the £250 price tag... but more than I wanted to spend.

I dream of owning a Phenix jacket... probably the best quality you can get... which is why ski instructors everywhere are wearing them.

The only other brand that comes any where near on quaility is Spyder... but they just look CRAP!!
snow report
Nice jackets. I own a "Grand Phenix". Their Diaplex material is stupidly comfortable. Light, stretchy, tapered, warm, dry, featured...the full 9's.

Totally recommended.

http://phenixski.com/products/men06.php
ski holidays
desol, Where did you buy yours? I got mine in Saas Fee, but I've yet to see it for sale anywhere else.
snow conditions
I've been trying to resist a trip to TKM because I don't really need any new gear. I agree with red27 that you can definitely get a perfectly adequate breathable and waterproof jacket in TKM for a lot less than £250 (though I don't agree that proper base layers are a waste of money and that a T shirt is fine). I have had two Trespass jackets from them which have performed very well. £50 each. I only bought the second, frankly, because I was getting a bit bored with the first one and its colour had faded a lot. It was always washed in Techwash and it remained effective.

But some of the more expensive stuff is very nice (though maybe not a bling jacket). The nicest ski trousers I ever tried on were in TKM but they were selling at something like £150, which is a lot. I bought a pair of ex-hire Colombia trousers last week for £10 in Filarinski. Not so sleek, but with room for my armour plated knickers underneath.

I think I'm going to just pop in - can't resist.
ski holidays
pam w, I'm off for another reccy there now, kids have decided to come to France for New Year, and Santa (ahem!) is bringing them goggles, socks, thermals etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, the only time they're happy to get socks for Christmas, eh? Happy hunting.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Spend £250 on a ski-brand jacket and you'll just stamp PUNTER across your forehead Very Happy

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line here, and suggest that most of us on here are actually punters rolling eyes
ski holidays
Guvnor, Shocked

What!!

With all this ski related discussion going on?

I'm hurt Sad
latest report
Guvnor, you're right. But some (including me) are punters in search of a bargain.
latest report
Not a lot in our Durham branch (again), but I did get some nice Lange socks for the boys, and some Bloc Goggles. I would have bought Bollé ones, but they had mashed up all the boxes putting the security tags through the cellophane and into the goggle strap.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
kitenski, Downhilldan, A decent Goretex shell is £50... T-shirt (or Base Layer if you're flash) and fleece underneath and jobsagoodun. That combo does me for skiing, climbing, & mountaineering, and believe me I've seen all sorts of conditions.

Well I guess I must be a PUNTER... cause I just bought one... most decent jackets cost at least that amount... Yes, I have a NorthFace shell, and I could get away with wearing a T shirt and fleece under it, but I'd rather pay my money and get the real deal...
latest report
erica2004, erica2004, Hi Erica. Sorry....this is 3 years late. Smile I got it in Canada...at Winner's...just by a stroke of luck. I still have and love this jacket. Diaplex shell...Dignite insulation. Darrick.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy