Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

should I buy my helmet here or on holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Helloooo. Quick question, decided to treat myself to my own helmet this year instead of hiring one. Am i best heading to the chill factor before i go or buy on in saalbach when i go in 4 weeks time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what stores you have local to you over here I guess, not sure what the chill factor is like. OH had his fitted over here and got a good helmet for a good price. I bought mine in courchevel about 4 years back the day after OH had his accident, so a bit of an impulse purchase. Considering it was 1850, I got a v good deal Very Happy

No idea what saalbach is like, but the choice will probably be far better in resort. Either way, if you are a regular skier, buying makes more sense than hiring!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although I'm still not entirely sure I want a helmet (the peer pressure and nagging mum are getting to me), I have decided to wait until I am in resort to look. If where you live is anything like where I live, you have a choice of two poorly-stocked shops at best. Better to try somewhere with lots more choice to get something that fits you and your budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Millie10, Try sail and ski in Chester they have a great range and will give you more time to ski in sallbach snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might be able to get a bit of a discount if you get it at the same place you rent your skis (assuming you're renting of course).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mum bought me my first boots from sail and ski in Chester Circa 1993 Smile happy memories!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in resort, you can barter a bit more!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Remember to take your goggles with you. Some goggles have a wonky fit with some helmets or just don't sit right.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely buying here has to be best. The crumby exchange rate must be making it really expensive to buy equipment overseas. I work in the golf trade and talking to our European customers they said it's cheaper to buy their stock from retailers in the UK than from the suppliers in their own country! Although, that was a few months ago...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does your local Aldi still have any in stock? That would be your cheapest way by far, and the helmets are actually quite decent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Millie10, Sailand Ski +++ Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones has it right if they fit you OK, there were stocks in my local one this week still. And if the collective wisdom of snowHeads has it right the Aldi helmets are actually re-badged Giros at a fraction of the price.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you for all the replies. I will plan a trip to chester in the next few weeks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Remember to take your goggles with you. Some goggles have a wonky fit with some helmets or just don't sit right

^^This^^

Also, everyone has a funny shaped head. EVERYONE! Best to take the time to find one that fits before you go.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More it costs the better it is, check it's got at least 1077 or 2040, just spend that cash you know you'll feel better with the best.
latest report
Disagree. Fit is more important than price.

snowHead
ski holidays
I bought a helmet for the first time last year, had been thinking about it for a while.

Day before Christmas last year in Courcheval, I skied badly on some ice, I went flat on my back, my head hit down, full force backwards. Totally dazed me and took a few minutes to recover. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had my helmet on Sad

Costco have some good ones at the moment, also Decathalon (there is one in Stockport and one in Warrington opening in the next few weeks).

With the nutters around on the slopes these days, it is well worth it!

Present company excepted!!!!!!! Laughing
snow conditions
Does it make you ski any better?
latest report
K8T wrote:
I bought a helmet for the first time last year, had been thinking about it for a while.

Day before Christmas last year in Courcheval, I skied badly on some ice, I went flat on my back, my head hit down, full force backwards. Totally dazed me and took a few minutes to recover. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had my helmet on Sad ....

I imagine you'd have have been dazed and taken a few minutes to recover. But this thread isn't about the merits or otherwise of helmets, but rather whether one should be bought 'here' (presumably the UK) or at resort.

I'd buy here. There may be a greater range of shops at resort (though that can be rather an illusion with common ownership of several shops not being obvious) but, oddly, you have a greater chance of buying the model you want here. Here major shops offer a wide choice - I remember trying to look at a Giro helmet at Les Deux Alpes, and not finding one anywhere. In turn, the wider choice means a better chance of finding one that is a good fit. Moreover, odds are that in the UK, the shop assistant's first language will be English. Finally, the retail price point for your helmet will be in £s - which given present exchange rates means that you should get a good deal.
snow report
If you can get to a big store - Snow n Cock, Ellis Brigham, or simialr, I'd probably buy here - save you spending your holiday time trekking around shops in resort. Plus if you bag a discount here (ask, even in the big stores) it'll probably be cheaper.

Row and Snock had 25% off helmets and goggles just before christmas but I think that may now have ended - but you may find there are new year sales. I'd bought a helmet for myself and my wife just before the sale - I'd got 10% out of them just for asking, but then they ran the 25% sale the following week so I took them back and got the additional discount down to 25% refunded via the price promise.

Sweet still seem to have stock left in there end of season sale: http://www.sweetprotection.com/webshop/en/special-offers/helmets-and-protection-50/
50% off. Though I think you have to pay shipping (which I heard someone mooting in the region of 30 odd quid but I've not checked) - even so, looks to be good prices. But try and get somewhere where you can try one on frist. As has been previsouly mentioned fit is most important and I guess it would be a pain to return. (of course you'll then have the shame of using a retailer for trying on their stock then ordering elsewhere online, but... c'est la vie - you can always offer them the chance to price match)

Oh - top tip make sure you try your helmet on with your goggles - we waited till we got home, mine were fine, but my wife's goggles did not fit with the helmet in the slightest. Of course this meant she got to to buy a pair of goggles in the sale when we went back to get the refund, which ate up all of the refund and some... easy come easy go rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy