Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Poland in late March - or alternatives?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and my other half have the best part of a week off between Mon 19th / Tue 20th and Sat 24th March. There are some very cheap flights to Rzeszow in SE Poland (£40 return), and it occurred to me that it might be interesting to do a city break - in Krakow - with some skiing on the side (maybe a couple of days). Has anyone here done something similar in that part of the world? It's not our main ski trip - we had a week in January.

It's a bit far to most of the ski resorts from Rzeszow, so we'd probably hire a car and base ourselves in / near Krakow for the few days, from where it seems about 90 minutes drive to some of the "bigger" resorts - we're used to driving this distance in Scotland to ski for the day. Resorts that look particularly appealing are Białka Tatrzańska and Szczyrk.

- crazy / sensible idea?
- any better ideas for a cheap break (outside Scotland) involving some skiing? We can't do Saturday to Saturday, and flights seem expensive to the main axis of the Alps for our dates (not helped by having to return on a different day to our outward flight).
- has anyone skied in either of the above resorts / elsewhere in Poland? What was it like?
- is snow likely to be OK at that time of year in southern Poland?
- seems to be an off-peak week, with Easter hols not until the following week. Queues / crowds? We'd be skiing midweek.

Obviously we'd not expect it to be Val d'Isere (or Glencoe!). But an interesting experience, and still worthwhile?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella, I'll let you know in a weeks time.
We have had a simlar idea and found cheepish flights to Krackow leaving late Wednesday afternoon and returning Sunday night. We have booked 3 nights in Zakopane and a night in Krackow. I'm not expecting much but thought we would try something completely different. TBH I think I could have done a cheeper trip to France but you have to move out of your comfort zones to get the best from life.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am heading to Bialka tomorrow to enjoy their low key skiing for a week. 5 villages each with a few runs linked on one ski Tatry pass. Maybe will see you at Zakopane. Im a 60 plus lady skiing alone with turquoise jacket and white helmet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, we're they're around that time ourselves. Snow in a good year can be good, in a bad year not so much (sorry, appreciate thats stating the obvious, I just mean that it isn't guaranteed, but by no means is impossible). Based on the weather this year its looking pretty positive at the mo!

Szczyrk is a lot more hit and miss, snow wise than Bialka. The other advantage of the latter is that its near Zakopane too, which may (or may not) be of interest!

One thing to note is that the roads (especially in bad weather) in Southern Poland can be far worse than you'd imagine as most are single carriageway so don't take Google Maps as gospel with regards to journey times (although if you're breaking it up into 2 legs it should be fine).

My wife is from Krakow and we go to Southern Poland a fair bit, so happy to help out with any questions (skiing or otherwise)!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. @johnE and@poppyb, do report back on how you found it!

A slight snag in the plan is that my partner now might have an interview that week, so we'll have to hold off booking anything until we know for certain, next week.

There are also some cheap flights to Germany, which also has appeal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy