Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight Driving to Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my first time here!
Can anyone help? We are driving to Champoluc in Italy next week 15th Dec overnight, some questions that are concerning me are, whether the peage toll booths are manned overnight to be able to pay cash and likewise whether the fuel stations are 24hr and manned - or just credit card operated?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Italy you will find the toll booths manned overnight and from memory also in France, most service stations are not manned 24 hours but nearly all in Italy accept cash but not sure about France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Norfolk Nippers, welcome to snowheads snowHead In France I think the motorway service areas with petrol are all manned 24 hours - never found one not and there's rarely more than about 50-60 km between them (there are more frequent picnic and pee stops) but off the motorway their hours are often much shorter and you definitely need a chip and pin credit card, or a winning manner. I did once have to ask a friendly Frenchman to use his card to put petrol in my car - I had lots of cash but it was no use to me.

Like Richiavo I think you'll find French toll booths manned 24/7 but a credit (or debit I think) card does make life much easier. If there's any doubt about Italian motorway petrol, fill up towards the bottom of France.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Norfolk Nippers, there are also machines for inserting cash payments at many of the toll booths.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for that!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Norfolk Nippers, Welcome to snowHead

I assume you are going for the BARSC races? If so, see you there. We'll be with the group travelling from Austria with Elite Snowsports, who you might know as their local artificial slope in UK is Norwich.

Have you seen the latest update on Britski:
The finish of the main competition race piste is 2,000 metres, the piste is largely in the shade and daytime
temperatures should be below those indicated generally for the resort. The resort has indicated that, if
necessary, they will relocate the races to other, higher pistes.
We are cautiously optimistic that the event will take place largely as planned and optimistic that the
technical races will take place but Clubs and athletes should be aware that at this stage we cannot
guarantee it.
There is a meeting with resort personnel on Saturday and a further bulletin will be issued then or on
Sunday morning.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where do we think it's best to stop if you need a quick 30 minutes sleep. A petrol station or one of the little picnic stops? Or does it not matter?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feast wrote:
Where do we think it's best to stop if you need a quick 30 minutes sleep. A petrol station or one of the little picnic stops? Or does it not matter?

Petrol station. Then when you wake up you can get one (or more) of those espressos from a vending machine for €1 to get you on the way.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, Cheers RobW, Yes we are - have had a look at webcam this afternoon and things were looking decidely better, fingers crossed.
Say Hi to all at Elite - Yes we know them well!!! (especially head of house keeping)

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Gang,

Assuming you're going through the Mont Blanc Tunnel, it is a fair way down the Aosta before you get to the next fuel stop, so top up in France. I can confirm that the tolls are all manned on the Italian side 24 hrs a day, but do try and do the run down in daylight, its not for the fainthearted in the dark or with poor visbility. Like wise the run up to Champoluc should be done by day as its not that starightforward once you leave the valley.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
panaga52, Should be at Mont Blanc Tunnel about 7am - just right to see the sun rising!!!! rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

do try and do the run down in daylight, its not for the fainthearted in the dark or with poor visbility

I didn't enjoy that stretch of road. I did it in bright sunlight, in 30 degrees (though it was April 1st, so not ruled out in the ski season) so going constantly in and out of those tunnels was a bit stressful - I was wearing prescription sunglasses and they were too dark in the tunnels. Amazing engineering though! They do good tunnels, those Italians. Not a journey for people who suffer from claustrophobia.

Quote:

when you wake up you can get one (or more) of those espressos from a vending machine for €1 to get you on the way

the caffeine takes a while to have an effect. Get the coffee first, then have a nap (no more than 20 minutes or you'll go into a deeper sleep), then get out and walk around for 5 minutes, then off to go.

I had a CD with this advice - from the Transport Research Lab, a few years ago. It was based on the latest research at the time. Worked for me a few times - surprisingly well. Though they say you should not do it more than once. If you get tired again, stop and sleep properly.

For me, overnight driving depends on the weather. If it's clear and starry, it can be really enjoyable, bowling along with some good music, getting closer to the mountains. If it's murky and foggy and rubbish and you're peering through windscreen wipers, then it can be grim.

You can "bank" sleep beforehand; don't start out tired.

In bocca al lupo!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timings sound good. One other thing, if you're running Diesel then don't trust the Italians to have mountain diesel! Bring the appropriate addative to prevent freezing. The going rate is €800 to sort you out when it goes wrong.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are intending to fill up just before Mont Blanc Tunnel, i assume they will have winter diesel?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Norfolk Nippers,
Quote:

Then when you wake up you can get one (or more) of those espressos from a vending machine for €1 to get you on the way.

We do North yorkshire to Andorra every year, non stop (other than tunnel and fuel), overnight, the kids sleep most of the way (lucky things).
Caffeine affects everyone differently, if you really want it to have an effect, stay off caffeine for a week or two before you go. Caffeine takes less than 10 min to kick in with me, I prefer to start my driving stint and stop for a caffeine hit only when I need it, this gives a longer time before a change of driver is needed.
Do you have co-drivers?, not a trip I would do in a one-er as a solo driver.
latest report
Quote:

i assume they will have winter diesel?

the diesel sold in mountain areas in France usually states it's OK down to minus 15 - which is usually enough. But if it gets really cold, can still be a problem. I've had a bottle of that additive stuff for years. Never used it - it's probably gone off. Keep an eye on the forecast and try to be under cover if it's really arctic.

staying off caffeine for a week before you go sounds a good idea - I think I'll try that. I have to drive south coast of England to Genoa, but I'll not do that in one hit - I'm the only driver.
snow report
Thanks for all your help! I do have a co-driver and we are planning to change every two hours - just the toll payments will break our sleep - would be easier with charging tag - but they seem a lot of money for the few trips! rolling eyes
ski holidays
The Norfolk Nippers wrote:
Thanks for all your help! I do have a co-driver and we are planning to change every two hours - just the toll payments will break our sleep

It’s really quite simple.

If you want to drive to Italy (as I do, many times a year) then plan the drive over with a night’s rest in a hotel, which can be had for only a small amount. Anything else is just a stupid idea.

Or you (or other people that you hit) may die.

ski holidays
We had a disaster with diesel when we filled up in Turin, it wasn't winterised, and solidified in the bitterly cold temperatures we were having up in the mountains at the time.
ski holidays
I have driven overnight to Geneva many times. Never a problem with the Péage and petrol station along the French autoroute. Stop usually involves filling up the petrol tank, change of driver, coffee and loo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy