Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much snow to compact a good piste

Poster: A snowHead
Having been flamed for repeating what the guys in Val D' were telling me about how much snow you need to build a good piste on bare ground It got me thinking how much snow do you need to make a stable base on an average red run?

How much melts to cool the ground? how much compaction do you get after a few passes of the Cats?

Im not talking about how much you need to be able to open a run but what is needed to make the run stable for the season?

Or is the answer 'how long is a piece of string'
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied on very good piste conditions at the start of the season when reported snow depths were 30-50cm (in high altitude resorts in France), some of which was probably manmade snow on the lower runs. When it got busy those pistes developed lots of ice at busy intersections, so more snow than that would have been required to ensure generally good conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on the terrain, if the piste are grassy meadows then 30cm should be enough to get going. A rockier piste would need more to get going. Around schladming slopes are opening with probably 20-30cm of bashed down man made, these are grassy meadow type piste. Last month I skied piste with 10cm of fresh snow on, grass base, was skiable with caution, but did leave my skis needing a service. (which they still need) Stable for a season, piece of string i'd say but once snow is compacted and managed it's quite impressive how long it hangs around.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2.5 metres wink

I think this is time for the old 'austrian meadows v French boulder fields' discussion Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, here's a French boulder field for you (up to about 2,000m in Les Arcs)

wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, lovely - I'm out there on Jan 12th, I shall bring the golf bats. Smile

Free drop from behind the lift pylons I presume?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, if you're not prepared to play properly, don't play at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, apologies for cheating. Here's another angle which properly shows undersnow conditions of the typical French piste

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, ah, much more accurate. That'll be the Men's DH course in Val D.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, Laughing Believe it or not, it's actually an Italian ski resort (although an off-piste area rather than on piste).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, OK, I'm prepared to admit that there are a few pockets of France where it's lovely lush pasture and no pointy bits. The big difference is that the Austrians meticulously comb the grass towards the valley with big cow-mounted brushes so that, in the highly unlikely event there's a hole in the snow cover, your ski will slide more easily. That is absolutely true, Whitegold told me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
That is absolutely true, Whitegold told me.
As ever, he's absolutely right. They use an army of snow pixies to ride the cattle so each lush blade is coiffered in to the exact right place. And they do it at night so as not to alarm people. Quite magical, so I've been told.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, rob@rar, both correct, they also do this in some parts of Switzerland, I myself have been fortunate enough to witness this, the snow pixies spend most of the winter asleep in the high mountain cowsheds which many of you will I'm sure have noticed often have small attached bedsit (or larger) type accommodation that the farmers only use in the summer months, as part of the arrangement that many alpine farmers have, they allow the pixies to use these excellent warm spaces in return for the pixies careful grooming of the grass, they do so because many of the farmers have winter jobs as ski instructors. The pixies much prefer these warm winter lodgings to the cold damp caves and marmot/rabbit holes they use elsewhere, so much so that when the farmers return to their alpine pastures in the spring they find them covered in flowers as a thank you from the pixies.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no this note of snow pixies riding cows.......

if you have ever been to austria you will know very well that the diet consists mostly of pig in various forms, be it sausage, leg of,. shoulder of etc ....but, has anyone ever seen a live pig in austria???

where do they keep them? they must be somewhere? hidden in trees, underground bunkers, people houses...someone must know Confused Confused Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[/img]http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/mtgenevre/interface.php?pk_interface=129&m=images&r=panoramique#depart[img] (alt+p)
all set at Montgenevre, flag sticks removed from the greens, bunkers raked one last time, and pass gates re-installed at the bottom of Prarial lift from resort centre. Just need the white stuff![/img]
snow report
CEM, I'd imagine they'd run and hide when they hear you coming. Laughing
ski holidays
30cm of bashed snow on runs that have been prepared (rocks removed, grassed etc) should be ok. You might need 60-100cm of snowfall to get there though. That is why resorts like snow canons, gives you a very solid based for fresh snow.

The problem for lower slopes now is that the ground may be too warm to run piste bashers when it snows. Which means a poor base for the season.
ski holidays
You need a lot more than they have right now ! Very Happy
ski holidays
@ rob@rar, Etna? I was there in September. The scree fields are much smoother, of course...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
red 27, here's a French boulder field for you (up to about 2,000m in Les Arcs)

wink

And who says paradiski is flat meadowskipping?
snow report
Nineveh wrote:
@ rob@rar, Etna? I was there in September. The scree fields are much smoother, of course...
Yes. The ash fields are smooth but any recent lava flow is like walking over piles of broken glass.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

wink

No snowboards on the green please.
ski holidays
andyhull wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

wink

No snowboards on the green please.

That must have been one hell of a pole plant to still be there in the summer......and some kind gentleman has tied his hanky to it as a warning
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
no this note of snow pixies riding cows.......

if you have ever been to austria you will know very well that the diet consists mostly of pig in various forms, be it sausage, leg of,. shoulder of etc ....but, has anyone ever seen a live pig in austria???

where do they keep them? they must be somewhere? hidden in trees, underground bunkers, people houses...someone must know Confused Confused Puzzled Puzzled

You have to remember taht Austrian pigs are vegetables - I have seen ham appear on the "vegetarian" menu in two different hotels Smile
ski holidays
alex_heney, ...animal...vegetable...mineral...at ARC1500 a restaurant had 'paving slab of beef' - so while pigs are vegetable in Austria, in France it's clear that beef steer are mineral (they also has 'crusty of goat' on the menu - which turned out to be hot goat's cheese salad...).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy