Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes de Soleil advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I nomally ski in Zermatt but toying with somewhere gentler for a week in January as my partner is recovering from illness.

We like to cover good distances and I am thinking of PdS. I would pefer to avoid Morzine and Avoriaz as bases.

Does anybody have any recommendations of good places to stay, with the emphasis being on a good location to be able to cover the whole area?

Chatel and Les Gets sound interesting; I cant find out much about the smaller ressorts on the Swiss side - Champoussins, Morgins, etc.

Any thoughts most welcome
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Cervinia? The definition of wide crusiy pistes?!

It's a while since I've skied in the PDS aread when it's good it's great but with low altitude (relatively) if it's bad it's really bad. You say you want to avoid Morzine but if you intend to visit the main Portes du Soleil circuit repeatedly, it makes sense to stay closer to it in Morzine. Châtel is pretty attractive, and has the feel of a proper alpine town rather than a purpose built resort, Linga and Pre la Joux are two linked sections and offer some of the best skiing in the whole Portes du Soleil area. The runs are a mix of tree lined escapes or steep reds (some could be blacks really).

If it were my money I'd be looking at Les Arc, Le Plagne, Tignes, VD, or 3V's for what you're after if I was at all worried about conditions. If it has to be France this is......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
headlong, Why do you want to avoid Morzine/Avoriaz?

That aside, Les Gets is pretty cruisy and has good mountain restaurants.

More detail would help...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
headlong, If you want to be central in the PDS. Ardent telecabine is the most central access point. That makes Montriond your local village.
Or stay at the Lac de Montriond which is halfway up to Ardent. Hotel les Sapins or Hotel le Bout du Lac.

Montriond is small, with quiet nightlife(except Amanda's La Barque when she has a live band on).
Bus service runs from Morzine via Montriond to Ardent T/c so very easy access.

We live between the two so spend time in Morzine and Montriond. Depends what nightlife you want to go with your excellent skiing Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PM me if you want to know about the "Swiss Side", Les Crosets, Morgins, Champoussin. Tbh it sounds as if Champery may fit the bill, lovely pretty small village, good range of shops/restaurants, cable car plus two chair lifts to Avoriaz.

Cheers Tim
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As DallyPaul says, Montriond would be a quiet alternative to morzine with good access to the pds, and easier to get to from Geneva than the swiss side of the pds. Swiss side can struggle a bit as it gets a lot of sun, but great skiing generally. What time of year were you thinking?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies. We are committed to going early January, so as things stand PdS now unlikely in view of lack of snow and I suspect it will be Zermatt again, as I am not keen on greenfield skiing. All the advice is much appreciated however, we will get there one day
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
headlong,

If you can afford to ski Zermatt and want snow you can also try St Moritz and Davos as both are decent venues to spend time both on the slope and off the slope. Engelberg is good but skiing seems to be between easy and extreme. Flims/Laax is very nice for intermediate cruising. These resorts should be OK with snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
headlong, Much more snow now. It does not need much for the grassy slopes of pds
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
headlong, Check snow levels before you decide! Avoriaz has plenty!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy