Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free ski carriage with Lufthansa??

Poster: A snowHead
I am just considering a flight to Munich with Lufthansa.

I am trying to get to grips with their website but has anyone flown with them before and got free ski carriage like you get with BA /Swiss Air. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You get free ski carriage with Lufthansa. They own Swiss and operate on roughly the same terms.

FYI ski carriage is no longer free with BA - £30 each way now I think
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I certainly hope so, seeing as that's the reason I'm booked with them to Munich in December. Info here;

"1 piece of baggage max. 23kg + one pair of skis"

http://www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Free-baggage-allowance?blt_p=GB&blt_l=en&blt_t=Info_and_Services&blt_e=Info%20Service%20Sitemap&blt_n=Baggage&blt_z=Free%20baggage%20allowance&blt_c=GB|en|Info_and_Services|Info%20Service%20Sitemap|Baggage|Free%20baggage%20allowance
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You normally have to call Lufthansa customer services to book your skis once you have booked your flight. It is still free tho'
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with SCollier - exactly the situation, so long as you call in advance they are FOC, great service and Munich great airport, used Lufthansa to Munich many times, and 2x again next season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll get a free beer as well. Used them in March to Munich. Really good service. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GeorgeVII wrote:
You'll get a free beer as well. Used them in March to Munich. Really good service. wink

haha really? damn! i fly early morning!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Be aware if you get a Lufthansa code share flight you pay the charges levied by the operating carrier irrespective of what airline it says on your ticket. With the exeption of Swiss air, now same company I think most of the other Star Alliance partners charge for your 2nd bag/ skis on an economy ticket. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swifty wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

haha really? damn! i fly early morning!

swifty and your problem is .... Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SCollier1, do they refuse to take the skis for free if you don't call ahead? I presumed it's the same T's & C's as Swiss, in that it's stated explicitly that ski's go free to European destinations blah blah, so you just pitch up and climb aboard.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We use them loads these days since flights from Manchester to Salzburg stopped. Free ski carriage, just call them up before you fly to book your skis on.

Also free drinks/snacks etc. so all in all a nice service.

D
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob wrote:
Be aware if you get a Lufthansa code share flight you pay the charges levied by the operating carrier irrespective of what airline it says on your ticket. With the exeption of Swiss air, now same company I think most of the other Star Alliance partners charge for your 2nd bag/ skis on an economy ticket. Sad

Brussels Airways claim they don't charge for skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know what happens if you don't call them in advance. If you like living "on the edge" give it a go.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SCollier1, speaking as a skier I like to be on the edge as much as possible. However, I've just spoken to a very friendly Irish chap at Lufthansa and he's made a note on my booking that I shall be requiring ski carriage.

Better safe than sorry. Thanks all.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Brussels Airways claim they don't charge for skis.
Your right, Embarassed I appologise, you can flame me, it was a rash & unsubstantiated statement, total b*ll*x, Joong, but the skiing in Belgium is not great. Twisted Evil
I had only checked a few airlines for a trip to the States. Funily enough Brussels Airlines came up, I was previously unaware of their existance, on checking the flight code it was for British Midlands which were actually on a United plane, so the whole thing is a mess no wonder the check-in staff never know whether to charge or not. Sometimes if you politely state "ski carriage was said to be free" you can get away with it. I thought I would be cute and get a Lufthansa ticket for a United flight as the price was he same but the T&C's say I would be subject to United's baggage rules.
Now that the BA sale is over, what with flights from Manchester and free ski carriage the Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt looks like the most cost effective/ convenient for me & still gets into Denver at a decent hour and avoids the US hub immigration/customs panic.
snow conditions
Wot's this "call" in advance ? Telephone ? Surely they don't want that, anyway my ticket shows no phone number.
They say "You need to register sports baggage 24 hours before the flight "
I was assuming this "register" was part of online checkin---- would someone who has done it please confirm. Thanks.
ski holidays
Farley Goode, see above
latest report
Dr John, Was delighted to meet an old ski buddy at DHO AGM this week who well fits your description, Doc, and wears a bow tie. Could it have been you ?
snow conditions
Farley Goode, you have to call them, don't ask why, it's their roolz. They'll simply record your ski carriage against your outbound and inbound flights.
ski holidays
Farley Goode, hunch back, one eye, cauliflower ears & tourettes? Could have been...
snow conditions
Lechbob wrote:
With the exeption of Swiss air, now same company I think most of the other Star Alliance partners charge for your 2nd bag/ skis on an economy ticket. Sad

Not entirely true. Adria (Slovenia), Austrian (Austria) and Sas (Scandinavia) and of course Lufthansa definitely don't charge for skis. Normally even second bad goes through without problems, but if you call them first, they definitely don't charge for skis. These are companies I fly with normally, and at least for these I know myself. How are others from Star alliance I have no idea... at least not first hand Smile
snow conditions
Farley Goode wrote:
I was assuming this "register" was part of online checkin---- would someone who has done it please confirm. Thanks.

I normally call after I book ticket... even if it's 3 months in advance. Call goes to their service/customer center (I guess it's no problem to find number of your closest customer center online Wink) and they arrange rest of it (also for connecting flights).
latest report
Thinking about it, I've never phoned ahead on Swiss flights and never had an problem just rolling up and booking skis in. I only did it this time due to the advice given on this page. Nowhere during the booking process, or in the e-ticket/confirmation/bumph I've been sent, does it say I need to phone ahead to book ski carriage. It states explicitly that ski carriage is free for my type of journey, so I don't see how they could refuse, or try and charge, if the phone call hasn't been placed?
ski holidays
Dr John, you are confusing Swiss with Lufthansa. Swiss do not charge, nor you you have to phone ahead. Lufthansa do not charge, but you do need to call ahead.
latest report
smithski, the clarification is appreciated. The questions still stands - if you need to call ahead, why don't they mention the requirement anywhere?
ski holidays
Dr John, It says so here

We want you to be able to continue your sports activities even when you are travelling. For this reason, Lufthansa offers special excess baggage rates for sports baggage. Please not that you need to register sports baggage 24 hours before the flight.

But I must admit it is not made clear, had it not been for a similar thread last year Imay have been caught out ...
snow report
smithski, And further down in your link:
"If you are booking your flight online and would like to take your ski gear with you, then please call the reservations hotline after you have made your online booking. Please register your ski bag there under your booking code."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smithski, well blow me, so it does. Whereas on this page http://tinyurl.com/34kv7sw, it mentions nothing about calling in advance, the little tinkers.

Oi, Lufthansa, sort it out.
snow conditions
Are some Lufthansa flights operated by BMI with different allowances?
latest report
I'm in the middle of a real ding dong with Lufthansa. I booked in July for Manchester/Munich flight in January 2011 clearly stated to be operated by LH. Rang them and reserved 2 x free ski carriage - all very good so far. Got an email in October saying flight times changed 5 minutes and that operator is now BMI. Rang them last week about something else (this issue just came up by chance) and was told I'd better check with BMI that ski carriage is free with them. BMI tell me they want £120! (4 x £30).

Complained to LH by webmail (it seems it's impossible to ring their customer relations although I've now found out that it's run by BOSCH - that's right of washing machine etc. fame - in Liverpool) and you're supposed to fax or post to them (no email)!
The long and the short of it is that LH did not advise me that it's a code sharing flight at the time of booking (which their own terms and conditions say they must) and they are therefore unable, I believe, to make me pay the BMI charges.

I'll have to see what happens but I get the impression LH are determined not to give way. If they refuse to give way I'll turn up in January, argue the toss with BMI and if they make me pay sue them through the small claims court or use the legal costs cover in my home insurance. They are guilty of both breach of contract and misrepresentation (whether that's negligent or fraudulent I can't yet decide).
snow report
thepositron wrote:
I'm in the middle of a real ding dong with Lufthansa. I booked in July for Manchester/Munich flight in January 2011 clearly stated to be operated by LH. Rang them and reserved 2 x free ski carriage - all very good so far. Got an email in October saying flight times changed 5 minutes and that operator is now BMI. Rang them last week about something else (this issue just came up by chance) and was told I'd better check with BMI that ski carriage is free with them. BMI tell me they want £120! (4 x £30).

Complained to LH by webmail (it seems it's impossible to ring their customer relations although I've now found out that it's run by BOSCH - that's right of washing machine etc. fame - in Liverpool) and you're supposed to fax or post to them (no email)!
The long and the short of it is that LH did not advise me that it's a code sharing flight at the time of booking (which their own terms and conditions say they must) and they are therefore unable, I believe, to make me pay the BMI charges.

I'll have to see what happens but I get the impression LH are determined not to give way. If they refuse to give way I'll turn up in January, argue the toss with BMI and if they make me pay sue them through the small claims court or use the legal costs cover in my home insurance. They are guilty of both breach of contract and misrepresentation (whether that's negligent or fraudulent I can't yet decide).
I should make it clear that it's Lufthansa that I'm blaming for this not BMI.
ski holidays
thepositron, having won a small claims court case for over £4k, I would say that for a sum as small as £120 it simply is not worth the effort to sue.
snow report
I've booked flights with Swiss - LHR-GVA. As far as I understand it, they give you one hold bag with weight up to 23kg and no restriction on dimensions (apart from stuff like windsurfing kit). As it is just a long weekend, I'm planning on packing all my stuff in my ski bag and 10kg hand luggage rucksack. End result - free ski carriage but with everything packed in ski bag. If anyone can find something on the Swiss website that says you can take free ski bag plus normal hold bag then do let me know.
latest report
StanBowles, Happy to help

Quote:
Being the skiers airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 20kg in Economy Class and 30kg in Business Class.
ski holidays
thepositron, I cancelled my lufthansa flight because the second leg is a local airline and LH insist I pay for ski carriage for that leg. My flight time had changed to an inconvenient time so I cancelled
snow report
Quote:

Be aware if you get a Lufthansa code share flight you pay the charges levied by the operating carrier irrespective of what airline it says on your ticket.

Quote:

See earlier thread: Lufthansa Ski Carriage Con(fusion) that I posted in November. We had exactly the same thing re. Lufthansa flight codes but BMI flights, from Manchester to Munich. I telephoned Lufthansa to book the skis onto the flight and was told that they had noted them on the booking. There was no mention of a charge - so I asked the telephone person, who advised that I would need to check with BMI. I didn't - especially when we then checked in online and received Lufthansa boarding passes. I arrived at the airport ready to do battle Mad - armed with Lufthansa confirmation email, Lufthansa flight codes and Lufthansa boarding passes - to find that we needed to drop our bag, including skis, at the Lufthansa desk - no sign or mention of any BMI involvement.

So that's what we did - with no mention of being charged for the skis Little Angel . The first clue that we were flying with BMI was when we boarded the plane. Same story at Munich - everything was done through Lufthansa and the skis went free.
latest report
Cheers achilles, that helps.
snow report
mountainaddict Many thanks for that promising news. Bearing in mind that your situation is a mirror image of mine perhaps I'll get away with it and not have to do further battle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy