Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
13/12/2010 Thought I would start the thread for this season as just arrived, bit tired after driving all night.

All I can see of les carroz snow is the lower bits look rather thin......

anyway will be more tomorrow as to flaine we go (more reporting that is, its nice and sunny at the moment so does not look very snowy)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good stuff,
I shall be out last week of January Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz,
Very interested to hear snow updates. I will be following you out there soon.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
/\ This! Will be out Jan 29th, lifts open this weekend in Crroz do they not?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Started looking at Flaine website today - only 5cm lower slopes atm but I'm not going till Feb so there's time......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Carroz, I look forward to the update shortly, we will be out a week on Sunday for just over two weeks, The top of Flaine looks OK but the lower resorts look a bit light on the white stuff, but as we know it can all change in a couple of days, looks cold enough to start making the stuff Shocked

I can only do 5 weeks this season Toofy Grin NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, Great to see the thread started. Look forward to your excellent reports. Heading out late this year, first week in march dunno how I'll stick waiting that long.
Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
14th december

Started at about 10am, snow is very very thin at the base i.e. take skis off before where you normally do for dmc (which has new cabins with seats!!!) cause there are rocks sticking through. Lots of UCPA beginner classes under free chair at base area, stones all over the place.

Top of dmc is very good, lots of snow, top of faust was fine, but lower half shut. They have made lots of snow on lower bits.

Very cold, and started to snow at about 11am and continued until i left at 2.30pm, was very light powder, road was very covered on way down to les carroz. Les carroz running cannons, and did all last night.

With snow today it is getting better, so hopefully will see tomorrow.

Report will be late tomorrow as picking up from Geneva
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great, thanks for the thread. Look forward to hearing more in the next couple of weeks as my daughter and I will be arriving on the 3rd January- can't wait!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out in Morillon Feb19-26th, so looking forward to updates on this thread. Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz, Seats in the dmc? Doesn't that restrict space somewhat or do you mean a basic bench around the sides?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wednesday 15th Dec

billb, New cabins, with seats facing, takes 10 seated, with a pole in middle for dancing around Very Happy

There was a queue at 2pm today, so there were 16 in the cabin i was in, that seems rather full.

Snow was better today, road up to flaine covered in snow, lots of people with chains on.

Still same 4 lifts open and very few runs, but snow improved, even at bottom there are not so many bare patches. Snow cannons busy.

Very very cold, most open runs seems to have a very hard base, which bodes well for rest of season. Off piste (did a bit where i know) was ok with very light powder, but again rather thin with stones scattered about.

Les carroz is making lots of snow, and bashing pistes ready for Saturday, queue was huge for season passes in village as was last discounted day today.

Got chased out of the supermarket in bonneville tonight (8.00pm) as they wanted to go home! don't they want to make money??

Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thursday 16th December

Very sunny today, but basically same as yesterday, hopefully snow will appear tonight, stopped really early as family things to do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, In Flaine did you happen to notice the rope tow which links the start of the Foret area to the main runs (parallel with the beginners poma)? I believe it's been upgraded so wondered what they've put in. I'm sure there'll be more lower depth soon......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
billb, By tomorrow I hope Toofy Grin
snow conditions
gsb, Ah, you're off there I presume. Have a good one snowHead
snow report
billb, Have not looked as you don't go past that area with whats open at the moment, but they have apparently put in a moving carpet.
snow conditions
Carroz, thats great about the carpet but when I was there in the Summer they had cut another piste that was originally off piste to right of the button lift near the Grand Van, so you dont have to go up to the Yogpots to get down to the DMC via the Cascades chalet, I presume it will be open Very Happy as it will help the beginners as they wont be wasting huge amounts of time trying to get up that lift with everyone else rolling eyes

Just over a week to go when I rock up I cant wait Toofy Grin
latest report
Mutley, Yep that is there, they were pisting it with bashers yesterday, it and the cascades chalet run are shut at the moment, to get back to DMC you have to skate along the green, as bottom of faust is also shut.
snow report
thanks for starting the thread. Out there in Feb so will obsessively read this every day
ski holidays
I skied in Flaine today and thought the conditions were surprisingly good. Pistes in great condition for the top 90%, and even some powder for the lucky hunter. As Carroz said, only a few pistes/lifts are open but that may be more due to lack of skiers, rather than shortage of snow. Canons in Flaine and Les Carroz working overtime with more snow forecast to fall tonight.

I can confirm that the beginners tow rope has been upgraded to a travelator, whilst the DMC replacement is a big improvement (much more regular cabins, sitting 8-10).
snow conditions
I was in Flaine on Tuesday and Wednesday. Would endorse everything said above, particularly how **** cold it was: -14 at the bottom of the DMC and -18 at the top at 9.30 on Wednesday. It needs more than comfy seats in the DMC to compensate for that. The snow on Tuesday, although carrying on for most of the day, did not amount to much (10cm maybe) and they have been bringing snow into the resort in large lorries. The new piste that cuts off the old tow rope and the run past Cascades is called 'Satan'.

Mutley, I'll see you there on 28 December (arrive late Monday evening, all being well).

Off topic - as I'm doing this it's just started snowing in Central London
ski holidays
21.45pm Snow!! lots of very fine snow, that is fantastically light, blew it off the balcony rail!

oh why is les carroz not open tomorrow, lots of trees so you can see

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
0830 STILL SNOWING HARD IN LES CARROZ!

About 20-25 cm overnight. Resort transformed!
ski holidays
17/12/2010

Decided that getting to flaine would be too much of a challenge in the snow, and visibility would not be good, so stayed in les carroz and sledged etc. Looking at the webcams its looks fine...oh well decisions are made

Its now lunchtime and still snowing. Heaps of new snow, tomorrow in les carroz should be excellent.....powder skis are waxed!
latest report
Hi Chris, I will text you when you arrive I am not staying in M-S that week as our apartment is rented we move back in the following sunday, so we are using a very good friends place in Flaine itself that week,

I will give you a call & we can meet up as usual, I hope the meeting went etc
snow report
Quote:

am not staying in M-S that week as our apartment is rented

Funny - I AM staying at M-S that week - leaving Edinburgh on 26th (weather permitting!) Too much snow here!
snow conditions
Hi! I am quite new to all of this with only three week's experience under my belt! Really glad to see that the conditions are improving as we arrive on Monday. I was wondering if any of you "oldies" (experience not age) are able to recommend a good ski instructor in Flaine for a couple of novices, as we'd like a couple of hours private tuition. Many thanks in advance. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know them personally but instructors from this independent school http://www.skiflainemoniteurs.com/ are sometimes in Les Saisies (where we ski) with English clients. I've thought a few times that they seem rather good in their approach and their clients certainly seem to be enjoying themselves. Horrible jackets though. wink
latest report
Still snowing in les carroz this evening, talking to 3 british guys in shop who had been up to flaine today,they said powder up to top of boot, so sounds good for tomorrow.

One of them had skis that slush and rubble had mounted the bindings 0.5cm different from each other.....was not very happy!
snow conditions
Joolz, if you can get him Théo de La Soujeole he works for ESi email: flaine@esi-grandmassif.com 00.33.(0)4.50.90.84.41. Nathalie is based in the office, Theo is a good friend of mine & he is a fantastic ski instructor & is also great fun, people have left reviews about him on holiday websites saying he made there holiday etc, he is also fluent in English.

I hope this helps, see you there, I see you say Wokingham, I live in Wokingham borough Laughing small world Toofy Grin
snow report
Thank you Pam and Mutley - I will definitely explore these possibilities providing, of course, we ever make it out there on Monday! BA have cancelled all flights between 10:00 - 17:00 out of LHR and all short haul out of LGW. Whilst we are not flying with BA this is worrying news, especially as the forecast is looking to bleak! Many thanks for your help! wink
ski holidays
Saturday 18th December

Excellent day, lovely light powder off piste, only skied morillon and les carroz. Piste conditions soft and excellent. Lots of runs still closed, especially lower stuff e.g. bergin in morillon and combe in les carroz.

Very cold, (hence light powder), had to stop at 3.00pm as daughter was frozen, even with one of my tops on!!

Prophet 90's were a big success, fantastic skis!

off to have a steam.......
snow report
Sunday 19th December

Warmed up quite a bit, but windy up high, so all lifts to tete des saix shut, so no access to flaine or samoens. Stuck to les carroz and morillon. Quite a few lower runs still shut, however lots are skiing them. Conditions are still excellent, but areas of lots of traffic, eg link to morillon from les carroz with quite a few stones. Does not seem that busy. Started to snow lightly about 3.00pm.
ski holidays
Mutley, agreed re Theo, my boys had a great week with him a couple of years back Very Happy

Not going to make it to Flaine this season, not even for a day Sad Will have to wait to sample Satan and the new seats on DMC Very Happy
snow conditions
Mutley - thank you! Managed to book Theo for a couple of hours midday on Tuesday. Can't wait!
latest report
Joolz, thats great news, I hope you get out of Edinburgh OK, we may leave earlier than next weekend as this place is shut down when we get a bit of snow, I know if I can get across the tunnel I am fine, lets see what the weather holds Shocked

Have a great week
snow report
Monday 20th December

Much much warmer, as a result snow is heavy and quite wet. Wind has shut lifts to tete des saix again, one opened this afternoon. Morillon has opened a few more runs, eg. bergin, but snow in morillon seemed heavier than les carroz. Off piste cut up, but still fun. Wind has blown snow off a number of exposed faces. Quite a few brown patches, and dodge rocks and stones in places. Could do with a bit more snow....pls!!
ski holidays
Tuesday 21st December

Did a tour of les carroz, morillon and samoens today. Tete des saix was very stoney and busy. Getting off the new fast chair from samoens 1600 it was a sea of stones.....

Other than that snow was ok, but quite a few patches down to icy base.

Wind has blown the snow off a lot of tete des saix, there is no off piste to speak of up high, lots of cracks and small avalanches on the face that the fast samoens chair goes over. They were doing avalanche training on the result.

Overall snow is reasonably fine, seems better in les carroz, but they have shut the non cannoned lower runs.

Weather was quite warm at lunchtime, but then cooled quite rapidly in the afternoon, timalets red down to les carroz had lots of frozen marbles, but was much quieter than samoens.

May go to flaine tomorrow.......daughter permitting!
latest report
pistehors.com reporting an avalanche in Samoens somewhere today, 2 people Helicoptered to Geneva. see any signs of this? Just goes to show even a shall snowpack can be dangerous with warming.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy