Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz on the 17th of December, what are my options??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I expect like many others i'm getting a little bit twitchy about a holiday which is fast approaching.

There is snow forecast for Avoriaz early next week but in my (uneducated) opinion it's not looking like the requisite amount will have fallen before i get out there.

I've booked for a group of 6 with a tour operator, i'm guessing it's basically tough luck but wondering if there was any precedent for this sort of thing are they obliged to do anything? I personally am not too concerned, that's life but i'm not looking forward to breaking the news to the others.

Off to search for the best piste closure insurance now...

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the gear...no idea!, a) chill out b) check your t&cs to see whether they bus you to other resorts etc c) chill out
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still got chance to snow enough by the 17th. It's meant to be more unsettled in the next week or so, so the potential is there.

If nothing else it's getting colder so they should be able to get some artificial down at least.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lol i'm trying, i've ignored it up until now but getting twitchy as it doesn't seem to be improving any time soon. I'm just stressing really for the others benefit, not liking the idea of being responsible for a expensive fail!

Read the t&c's no mention of buses unless snow guarantee insurance was offered, which it wasn't. haha

Watching the avoriaz web cam didn't help. Smile

Might take up yoga tomorrow Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All the gear...no idea!, good luck. I know it's worse if you are an organiser. However the more experienced members of the group will realise that it really is outside your control wink

We are due out in PdS on 23rd. Walking boots will come along as usual - to date we have only had to use them once and that was in April.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the gear...no idea!, Hate to be harsh, but you booked a holiday and they will provide ehat you booked.

That said, forecasts are looking better....keep your fingers crossed...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz probably isn't the best place to be if the pistes aren't even open (or the higher ones around Hauts Forts are rammed). Take the bus down to Morzine where I think there is a new indoor swimming pool, drop in to les Gets and do some ice skating or take a walk around Mont Chery. Might work if it's a family trip. If it's six blokes bent on first to last lift skiing, you may have a problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take some grass skis and a pair of Speedos with you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you do take Speedos, make sure the S hasn't dropped off. Otherwise you get strange looks in the pool in my opinion Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could hire a car and 'commute' to the Tignes glacier. About 3 hours each way though Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think everyone is being a little harst on you here All the gear...no idea!, Avoriaz on Janaury 17th you will be fine, just ignore all these other bafoons....................on hang on a minute.................DECEMBER 17TH!!!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haha, we are working on contingency plans Smile This will either involve a hire car or a selection of pubs.

Snow forecast keeps improving so will be doing a nightly snow dance and prayer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder,

I think the word you seek is buffoon(s)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, Bloody predictive text on iPhone!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't panic.

I'm meant to be going on Dec 17th as well, the only difference is, I haven't booked yet!

There is plenty of time for some decent snow to fall.
snow conditions
All the gear...no idea!, Just checked and there seems to be a decent snowfall forecast in the next 6 days!!! Told you that it will be fine by the time you arrive, chill out, grab a beer and start packing!!!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Avoriaz/6day/top
latest report
Your insurance may pay you £20-£30 per day if it's shut.
snow report
Don't forget your powder snorkel.....
ski holidays
Yes, check your insurance, often they pay out so could go towards a hire car, golf lessons, etc
ski holidays
Went to see Fatboy slim last night and dedicated all dancing to the snow gods Wink. It seems to have paid off looking at the webcam and snow forecast this morning.

Feeling a little more optimistic now, the forecasts are certainly looking better. I've spoken to all the group and everyones cool, we'll just see how it pans out.

Contingency wise we've all sorted insurance for so £25 a day if 80% is shut, and the tour company said they'll refund the lift pass if the resort is closed. So we'll bag a rental and do some day tripping if the worst comes to the worst. Although it's looking like there will be a) some snow and b) cool enough temps for snow making.
snow report
All the gear...no idea!, I am relieved for you, looks like you'll be ok. have a great time.
latest report
£25 a day!!! I should think you'll be OK - better hope so, because if there's no snow in Avoriaz everywhere within day tripping distance will probably have less. wink
snow report
£25 a day!!! I should think you'll be OK - better hope so, because if there's no snow in Avoriaz everywhere within day tripping distance will probably have less. wink
snow report
You got a cheap week because it is early season. So enjoy a holiday on the cheap, if you don't have to buy a ski pass it is even cheaper.

Simple reality is that Avoriaz that early is a big gamble, not one I'd take unless I was planning 3-4 weeks skiing in a season and the deal was very very good.

By that date you will definitely have snow in Tignes, Val D'Isere and Val Thorens, why not call the TO and see if they've got spaces in other resorts that allow you to keep the same flight but go to a different resort?

All this said, you may well have plenty of snow before then.
snow conditions
All the gear...no idea!, looks like all that dancin worked. First rain for months yesterday here in Morzine, now quite heavy, snow rain divide was visible ( around 1600) so Avoriaz is getting snow, more due for 3 more days and coming down below village level as well. Bit more dancin may just do the trick Blush
snow conditions
I was in Avoriaz on 17th December last season, the conditions were more than adequate

Hope that there is a good dump this year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy