Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF or Ski Evolutionfor kids in La Rosiere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A mate has three boys aged 6 to 10 and is going to La Rosiere for mid-term break. He is trying to decide between hiring one private instructor for all three for a couple of hours each morning or putting them in the usual ski school for a longer period each day. Reckons there's not much difference in the cost due to different lengths of time involved. Kids have said that previously they could never understand what the instructor said and they just skied around following him/her all day.

Anyone have any experience of ESF vs Ski Evolution? Private vs public lessons? Private sounds the way to go to me but any advice on kids' lessons would be appreciated as it's an unknown country to me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a season in La Rosiere last year and there is not a lot of difference between the schools. The ESF is run by an English guy Simon, so I would rate it above other ESF schools for better attitude and English spoken.

My feeling on lessons are if they are a beginner take a few weeks of group lessons, they are good fun and you see others cock up and fall so it does not make them worry about it.
After that private lessons are the way to go as you learn a lot more in a shorter time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks DV
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would put them in group lessons for 2 1/2 hours in the morning. If your friend wants a bit longer to ski over to la thuile and back there is a lunch club option with both ski schools (or there was when we went 2 yrs ago)

Which part of La Rosiere is your friend staying in? There are 2 ESF ski schools in La Rosiere, one in the main village and one in les Eucharts (where some of the new apartments are). Evolution is based in the main village but when we enquired they said they would have been able to pick the children up in a minibus from our apartment in les eucharts for morning ski school.

In the end we opted for ESF as our children were younger and we wanted to use the ESF lunchtime club in les eucharts. With older children I might be tempted to give evolution a go, assuming they have smaller class sizes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon must have been running ESF for quite a few years now - I had thought that there was a rotation sort of arrangement in these things (could be wildly off there). He was the head of ESF 7 or so years ago, certainly. Really nice chap.

Anyhow, from experience, both ESF and Evo were both excellent with strong English-speaking instructors well used to teaching young children. My daughter had group lessons with an Evo instructor plus some 1:2:1. I've had lessons on 1:2:1 with both. No problems at all to report.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would personally recommend this particular ESF. With group lessons then it's easier for the kids to follow the ESF levels (eg. 1st star, 2nd star...) when they change resort.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with Dwarf Vader - put them in a group and that way they will have a laugh with children there own age.
Our children went with Ski Evolution [as this was the school used by Esprit Ski] had no problems with them. All English speaking - joking etc. with the children keeping them happy.
Our youngest [now 10] started with them when 4 - they have there own sectioned off area to play in with a 'magic carpet' to help them get up and down the slope.
But was soon out on the green runs under a close watchful eye of grumpy Dad. Shock) - for grumpy read cautious!
JFI: I had a guide from Evolution one year - as we had been there a few time and wanted to be shown some safe off-piste area. Which was fun and helped to keep me sane! and to slow down my "to bouncy-bouncy" powder style - his words - but I still use them to remind myself. - Anyhow hope you all have fun. Bring on the Snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No experience with ESF in La Ros but have used Ski Evolution for private lessons - the boys came back buzzing and would highly recommend. For progressing and working on specific things then I would say private lessons every time. Kids often enjoy skiing with others however, so this may sway you the other way, depends really what you want from your lessons.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my opinion it depends what the kids want out of it. If they want to ski with more people, make friends and have a laugh then go for the group lessons. However, if they cost about the same and you want value for money I find private lessons are the way to go, although they have less time with the instructor, their actual contact time will be greater and they will progress faster. From that I would suggest private lessons, I think skiing is more fun the better you get, the faster you get better, the faster you have more fun. There is plenty of time and places to meet people when on holiday so give them a couples hours a day or so to work on their skiing and really improve Smile

With regards to ski school, I've only ever experienced ESF, personally I've found them brilliant for 20 years but I've heard mixed reviews from some people, mainly English people who haven't been so keen.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have used both - great service
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy