Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a GPS please...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Small, simple as a simple thing and cheap. I like carrying one in my off-piste pack - just in case the weather closes in, we need help and I can't tell where we are.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, have you considered Android applications ?

I use a Motorola Defy+ with Viewranger mapping as it's small, lightweight, totally waterproof & doubles up as a very useful mobile phone and camera etc. wink May not be super-cheap but if you happen to need a new mobile sometime, is worth considering.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the suggestion moffatross.

I must admit that I'd prefer a dedicated GPS that takes "proper" batteries that I can sling in my pack with some spare batteries and largely forget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ Good point ... I change my transceiver batteries once a year because I feel I ought to. I charge my mobile at least every other day because I have to.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a Holux 245 and I think it is great. It is a data-logger and records your movement, speed altitude etc. It outputs nice files that connect with Google earth. I use it for cycling, walking and horse as well as for skiing. It has been going strong for about 2 years now and needs a re-charge every 2-3 days. I much prefer a dedicated machine to one of those "do everything" smart phone thingies.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Chris Bish. Looks like an interesting bit of kit, but I should have made it clear that this is a piece of emergency only kit for me and, as such, I want something that take proper batteries so that I can sling it (and some spare batteries) in the pack and forget about it all season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni, Ah. I wasn't thinking gnarly!

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish wrote:
FlyingStantoni, Ah. I wasn't thinking gnarly!

snowHead

Not that gnarly Chris Bish wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Simples, Garmin Foretrex 301 or 401:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30025
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30026
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Foretrex301_OwnersManual.pdf

Simple
Wrist top or just tiny if you remove the strap
Light weight
Reflective monochrome screen (easy to read in bright sunlight)
AAA batteries
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Garmin GPS 60 - cheap, reliable, long battery life, waterproof, pretty rugged, easy to use, takes AA batteries. I also use it mainly for poor vis conditions (when walking not skiing) and have had no problems.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The ubiquitous Garmin etrek is as good as anything, but you will still need a map and a compass. For a short while I did use a Garmin 76 with WASS which has a better antenna that works better in forests and narrow valleys it was a bit bulky.
Since I use the GPS for walking and mountaineering using mountain huts it is essential that they have replaceable batteries rather than rechargeable ones (and I did once forgot the spares)
Program your route into it in advance using something like memory map navigator and keep the GPS in the jacket rather than the pocket or the pack where the cold drastically reduces the batteries performance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank altis, bobmcstuff and johnE.

Map and compass are always in my pack johnE and used in preference to a GPS. But sometimes you just can't see enough to confirm a location.

Good point about keeping it in the jacket.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always use Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs and AAAs while away from the mains.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

They are incredibly light, hold more juice than any other AA (or AAA) and work down to -40C.

I once bought a GPS60 for our Nepali friend. Great device but I found the grey-scale screen far harder to read than the small one on my Foretrex which is just black or white.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the battery info altis. I'll get some in.

I've now sprung for an eTrek.

Thanks to all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy