Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

whats borovets like?

Poster: A snowHead
i am considering a ski holiday in the new year,but due to the current trend in the ever rising price of living hear in the uk and christmas around the corner.it has to be on a budget ,and was looking into borovets bulgaria, baisicly because my money will go further over their i gather,i class myself as a intermediate level skier and can hold my own, can you guys shed some light on pistes hotels bars apress and personal expiriences before i press the book now button thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheap but not especially good value.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheap. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went borovets for first ever ski holiday 5 yrs ago. For my first time I thought it was great as we were only doing 2 or 3 long green/blue runs over and over. Borovets hasnt got that many runs, especially when you compare to france/Switzerland resorts. Found it very cheap but they were still in the Lev then (think they are now Euro) - i've heard its still cheap but prices are always rising - we went to Pamprovo in Bulgaria 3yrs and it wasnt very cheap -very similar prices to our hol to Passo Tonale in Italy last Feb! If you are intermediate, I would look elsewhere with more runs as the chance are you will get bored after 3-4 days as you may have skiid all of the runs a few times. There wasnt much off slopes (ie no terrain parks etc).Dont get me wrong, I had a great time, but only because I didnt know better. I have now been skiing 4 times, and I wouldnt go back - I am only an intermediate doing mainly reds. I went Passo Tonale in Feb which was a great step up from Bulgaria. I think it has about 65 lifts (borovets has about Cool and was enough to last the . Going Les Arcs this year where they have something like 160 runs, so cant wait (providing it snows!)

I would suggest trying to put an extra couple of hundred pounds into the holiday and go somewhere a bit better. Like I said we found Passo Tonale great value (£5 burgers etc £2 beers - Borovets is probably that now too!) Plus P-Tonale was quite cheap to get there! Final problem with Bulgaria is lack of snow fall. We went end of Jan and we were lucky with the snow - it fell just before we landed and that JUST lasted us the week. If it hadnt have snowed just before we arrived, we would have been doing a lot of walking - they didnt have much in use of snow cannons either.

That was 5yrs ago & may have improved, but although would be cheap(er) booking, if it doesnt snow, it works out very expensive hol! Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waiter_fisherman, if it helps, this is my Passo Tonale video from Feb. Hadnt snowed in 3weeks, but as it is a high resort (unlike Boro) and groomed well each night, the snow was kept in agood condition. We skiied all day every day with no signs of grass etc coming through - when we went Boro, evern though it had recently snowed, there were still patches of grass and rock coming through. You sound similar standards to me, so would deff recommend Italy if you dont want France/Austria price.
http://youtube.com/v/miFOWvKQ9_8
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Bulgaria 2 years ago and I didn't like it.

The place and and the locals all seem very dodgy
The ski area was small
There was very little snow when I was there (Mid February)
The lifts are old and slow (Main gondola in Borovets takes 30mins, and the top slopes weren't even open)
I would much rather spend more money and go somewhere in the alps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all the input guys, i really enjoyed the footage jon,sounds like i have been spoiled with the better skiing in canada and europe. i was considering going back to avoriaz again this year but its mainly price,i am a solo skier and meet up with crowds in the chalets, my girlfriend has no interest in the sport shame Sad but i may have some new recruts this year,yeah like i say price we stopped for food in plain dranse and it was like 36 euro for a tarteofflet and 6euro for half a pint of beer,i am not stingy at all but with the apres i spent about 1150 euro but it was fun,so how dose italy compare more for money? i remember a school ski trip to sappada 13 years ago it was great we were in troube with the teachers as we were all sloshed being it was only 14 to drink ha ha, but as you say it sounds like it has no comparison to the pistes of western europe i will have to pull some strings to get that extra few hundrad bob together Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I loved Borovets as a beginner, but an experienced skier would ski the entire place in a day or less. The best thing about the place is the excellent tuition at low prices. If you don't want that then there is little or no reason to go there. You can get much better value in Austria or Italy.
snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waiter_fisherman, Passo T was great value. The holiday cost £950 each - that was half board in the best hotel in the rsort (cant remember name but was right next to the lifts at the end of the main strip). That included half board and all ski pass/equipment. This year are paying £1k each all equipment but self catering!!
The resort is ideal for a week. Enough runs to keep you going, some nice long runs and some good short ones to challenge you. Nice slalom run and quite good jump park too. Night life wasnt the best - about 4 or 5 bars/clubs but fairly quiet. Most action ahppens in the hotel bars. There were 4 of us so managed to occupy ourselves in hotel bars, but you need to be outgoing if going on your own (suppose same anywhere though). Very surprised with prices on slopes-bottle beer 3euro. Coffe 2euro, hot-choc 3euro. Slope food - burgers/pizzas etc 5-8euros tops. Couple of more xpensive restaurants if needbe, but just grab snack and keep going. We went 4 pizza one night - 8euro each. Resort is "all together" (ie, can easily ski one end to anither to meet someone/grab food etc) Slopes very open-can ski right under the chairlifts (as shown in video near end). We had a great time. Only been to that resort in Italy but heard places like Cervina etc are even better (but may be more xpensive??) Havea look into italy - deff recommened it and the Dolomite mountains are stunning! Would deff go there over Bulgaria now and would deff hit another Italian resort. Let us know what you do. (If going on your own, just grab the crappiest self catering appartment and spend more on the skiing!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have skied in canada and good euro resorts I would avoid BG. Borovets has poor snow (they don't let you demo skis because all skis get wreaked), small, very wind affected and almost zero off piste. there has been hardly any investment, it's like walking into the 1970s while being harassed by bar owners.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon Ford wrote:
Found it very cheap but they were still in the Lev then (think they are now Euro)

They are still in the Leva

As a bulgaria fan I can see both sides of the arguement.

I much prefer Bankso as the skiing is better and the lifts are more modern. There is more off piste too.

regarding the issue of running out of pistes, it depends on how long you are going for. We go to Bansko 1 or two times a year ((we have a place there, ( but I dont have rose tinted glasses on)) and generally do 4- 8 days. I class myself as intermediate and there is enough there to keep me happy. But then again I am not going there to get as many KMs under my belt as possible. (I go to Tignes for that Very Happy )

Bulgaria is what it is. Lift passes are cheaper than most Alps, but you dont get as many KMs so teh £ per Km is about the same. Accomodation is cheaper. Cost of living is cheaper. Last year our friends rented the apaartment ( 2 bed) next to ours for a week for £100. We wer eating out for £30 a couple in the evening including plenty of drink.

Having said all that, I still love my annual trip to Tignes with the lads. We ski our nuts off all day and then chill in the evenings with a few beers.

For me Bulgaria is a ski HOLIDAY and the alps is a ski holiday

cheers
Smag
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a budget Ski holiday with good apres look at Soll or Mayrhofen.

Either you should be able to get HB for around £400 with flights and transfers (less for B&B) both have great skiing and well worth the little extra over what Bulgaria will cost you, If you skied Canada and FRance it sounds like you'll hate Bulgaria IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love the P Tonale vid Jon, I wish I could had the patience (and the knowledge) to put something together like that!! I also hope the snow is that good in Tonale when I go in Jan!

Another vote for Italy from me. I've done Borovets (18 years ago mind!) and although ok it was a bit too low rent for me and not that much cheaper to be worth it. I normally go to Italy now as it is reasonably cheap and they tend to have a few resorts with no single supplements for us solo skiers. I went to Tonale a few years ago and liked it a lot even though they had the warmest Jan on record and the snow was a bit sparse. I've just booked there for Jan at the unbelievable price of £330 half board and when you add to that the cheap ski hire and lift pass it still only comes in at £520 for the week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well it looks like the french or italian alps dunno yet there are three local lads all builders who have put money aside for a ski trip in the new year,their all on my case like i am a tour guide so the pressure is on Embarassed Embarassed i would love to go back to avoriaz this year to see that sexy bar maid in les prodains at the nige et rock hotel any one seen her you will know who i mean shes a femme fatale
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers japes1275, Ive planned this years ski hol around the next video - got the bug 4 it now!. That deal you got for P-Ton is really good. We booked this years' les arcs back in July and although it was a good deal, next time Im just getting last minute ones to see where the snow is best!
waiter_fisherman, Im sure you will have a good time wherever you go. Bulgaria will be good with the lads for a booze up each night as its is cheap, but like previous post, if it doesnt snow that much, its an expensive holiday. Best of luck
latest report
waiter_fisherman, at the risk of beginning to sound like an old record, if it were me and IMO........

Wait. Book last minute. There will probably be a fire sale for first weeks in Jan (starting between Xmas & NY, if not before), and with the snow so relatively poor in Europe at the mo, you'll know where is best. There are only four of you, you seem quite relaxed as to options, you should have plenty of choice. Soll, as mentioned, could give you what you need for less than Bulgaria 'normal' prices. It's nice to have one in the bag, but personally I'd wait.

As regards Bulgaria, don't write it off too soon, Bansko is the neutral's choice, some good deals already:

http://www.balkanholidays.co.uk/holiday_deals/last_minute_deals/index.html

It's surprisingly ok for a week, cheap off of the mountain, strong local lager Snmenka 82p a pint, good local food down in the old town mehanas.
snow conditions
waiter_fisherman, If you're looking at France remember to avoid the French school hols basically mid Feb to mid March- a Google will bring up the exact dates.

Is Apres high on your list of priorities? I seem to have got fixated on this?! With the exception of Sauze D'Oulx Italy is quite low key but I believe even the latter isn't what it once was.

If you like the idea of hitting the bars straight after a days skiing it has to be Austria. Soll for example will go on from 4pm till 3am.

If you're a bit of a Francophile IMO Chamonix is great but skiing not so much for beginners and early intermediates and L2A when I was there last Jan was supprisingly lively for France.
snow report
http://www.skibansko.net/Latest-News/bansko-named-worlds-best-value-ski-resort.html

Just thought would drop that one in. As ever I am not being biased, I am however interested to read you guys pick the bones out of this article. As ever there is a level of spin in the details, but there are also so decent facts in there

Cheers
Smag
snow report
There were some heavily discounted packages in the Sunday Times today for Christmas and New Year from major tour ops Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
smagsmith wrote:
http://www.skibansko.net/Latest-News/bansko-named-worlds-best-value-ski-resort.html

Just thought would drop that one in. As ever I am not being biased, I am however interested to read you guys pick the bones out of this article. As ever there is a level of spin in the details, but there are also so decent facts in there

Cheers
Smag

It appears they have got 'cheap' confused with 'value'. There is no mention of what kind of terrain, snow, queues and ski area you can expect for your money.
snow report
narc wrote:

It appears they have got 'cheap' confused with 'value'. There is no mention of what kind of terrain, snow, queues and ski area you can expect for your money.

Fair point, but I guess the article is designed to throw Bansko in the ring as an option for a budget ski holiday. Once you have read the article, then you can research about the resort for any details that were missing. Then make your choice
latest report
We wont be going back, last time our coach was robbed, everything in the luggage compartment was cleaned out.

most of the boards and ski's were knackered though as they'd spent the week riding rocks and grass Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy