Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tested Atomic Smoke ti's in a fridge... first ski recomendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Yesterday I tested a 171 Atomic Smoke ti and a 168 Salomon RX800 at Tamworth. Both were too short (I'm 6'4"/97kg) but were the onyl demo size they had.

I really didn't like the RX800, felt very soft and unstable, but they may also have been because so short. They did feel super light.

I liked the Smokes and ski'd well on them, but as these are my first skis I don't really have anything to compare them to.

I'm a 4th week skier, I'd rate myself a level 4/5 but progressing quickly. Spend 90% of time on the piste and looking to improve, learn and grow on and off piste.

Would the Smoke's be a good first ski, or should I look a level up for something to 'grow in to'? I don't want a ski that's too much for me, but also ideally don't want to have to upgrade after one season.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Ps. Have only skied Europe (France/Italy) but may venture across the pond in the early spring.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the same problem testing skis at the weekend. I'm the same size as you (are you my twin?) and had to ski on 170cm Supershape Titans (great ski by the way). What confused me was that out of all of their demo skis, they were all the middle of the road size. What would be wrong with stocking longer and shorter demos of some skis. They had two pairs of a couple of the skis in the same length Puzzled

Smoke looks good for you, not too much ski. As for growing with them, a couple of years back, a 78mm waisted ski was deemed more than capable of a few forays off piste. I had a 79mm ski a few years back and they were fine off piste.

Personally, I'd be tempted in stepping up and at least having a shot on the blackeye Ti. Great ski and if you don't want to change in another couple of years then they'll last you longer as long as you're progressing.

As for the other side of the pond... if there's lots of snow, hire some powder skis. When we were in Lake Louise/Banff, the fresh powder was scarce in early spring (first week of April), but there was an awful lot of nice compacted powder and lovely pistes that got softer through the day. No matter what you might read, see or hear, the US and Canada do not have whole seasons of knee deep powder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks shoogly - Haha, separated at birth?! Very Happy Did seem odd with the sizes they had but hey ho!

The Blackeye ti was the one I was looking at, they seem to come in a longer length too (Smoke 178, blackeye 181). Out of interest, what length do you ski?

Good plan for hiring if in the powder. Have two trips to Europe booked and the late trip will only be if deals abound!

Cheers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
188 somewhere around a 25m radius.

hence the reason i'm testing things like the Titans.

I'd say buy as long as you can for your given ski. If you're progressing, you'll soon get used to the longer length.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy