Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow socks and snow chains Q/A

Poster: A snowHead
Snowchains Europroducts would like to start a topic providing information on question regarding snow socks or snow chains.

We wanted to start a new topic so that all questions and answers can be viewed by all members.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
what colour snow socks do you have?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably best to contact admin before you start punting your products.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, that's a tad harsh. snowchains has been in contact with a very reasonable reply to having previous (commercial) posts removed, and has started a thread where he's offering to share experience - there's no link here to his site, for a start. Although his initial posts may have been enthusiastically and overtly commercial, I think it's a good thing he's decided to stick around
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Q1. What does the law in EU countries say about carrying snow chains? Where do I need them? When do I need them? What happens if I don't have them?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello Cran, we use Weissenfels Snow Socks that use a superior technical fabric which sticks to the snow creating grip, in the image below you can see which ones we use.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Monium

The countries where snow chains are mandatory are, Andorra, Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. (Denmark not compulsory but recommended)

What we found is that in France and Switzerland the police will force you to put on chains at the bottom of the mountains and if you don't have snow chains you will get a fine.
Snow socks are also not a substitute for snow chains.

I think it's now a good idea to also notify for members that do not know about our 10% discount.

Simply go to http://www.snowchains.co.uk/specials/ and login in using the following details.

Username: snowheads
Password: snow11heads

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 3-11-11 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowchains, if you don't have snow chains, can't you just turn around and go back down the mountain? Or are there areas where you have to have them in the car all the time? Or certain months of the year?

We just have them in the spare wheel well all the time when on ski trips, but I guess there must be times of year and weather conditions when they aren't necessary - example we drove to Morzine with chains in the car in April a couple of years ago, there was no snow whatsoever in the village or any of the roads leading to it. They couldn't have asked me to put chains on - we were driving on dry tarmac most of the time - but could I have been fined for not having chains anyway?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowchains wrote:
The countries where snow chains are mandatory are, Andorra, Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. (Denmark not compulsory but recommended)

All the time? Surely there should be a rider such as "when signposted", or "when conditions require", or "between date and date". And I assume by mandatory you mean mandatory to be carried. Does a winter trip to Brittany require the carriage of chains?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowchains,
Quote:

Snow socks are also not a substitute for snow chains.

But legally in France they are! Confused

Monium, Driving down one year chains were needed to drive around Lyon! (Smug Smiley- we had winter tyres and didn't need socks.) Chainage areas start at Albertville which is a good hour in normal conditions from the large Tarentaisse resorts!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ Monium,

These areas do require to have snow chains in the car at all time. you only need snow chains in the car around winter time, and use them when it's dictated by local signs or road conditions.

@boredsurfin chains are not mandatory in areas such as Paris, but other locations where signs are posted and where conditions require snow chains to be put on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowchains, For someone that sells the product your ignorance is to be admired.
Quote:
AutoSock snow socks, the snow chain equivalent.
Since 2010 AutoSock is certified to comply with the French winter equipment regulations and can be used in France where the snowchain sign (B26) is in place. See below. AutoSock are the only snow socks that have been tested and approved to be used in France as an equivalent snow chain product
http://www.autosock.co.uk/

You'll be telling us next that 4x4's with winter tyres don't have to have chains at all.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin

Offcourse we an only provide information about our own Weissenfels or Thule products so we cannot prove or disprove competitors claims.

The main reason for starting a Q and A is for the reasons that we have been selling chains for over 30 years. And socks for around 4 years. And wanted to provide our professional advice.

Wherever chains are mandatory despite vehicle make or model they are required to be held in the car. And used where appropriate.

Thank you for your reply boredsurfin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, you certainly socked it to him there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowchains, what would be useful is if you could compile an inclusive list of the major makes/models of socks and which are officially recognised by which countries as chain equivalents. You could of course then give us information on their relative merits and obtain the right to sell the best socks. Merely giving us information on the models you sell I'm afraid isn't at all helpful and is actually misleading if you represent that information as applying to all similar products.
snow report
I use US Snow Tire cables like these - http://www.jtote.com/product_info.php/security-chain-company-sc1018-radial-chain-cable-traction-tire-chain-set-p-343514?currency=GBP

Used them in USA and France. Light and easy to put on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A question from me:

I bought a set of Weissenfels clack and go from you 3 years ago for my Jaguar XF, which have been great and got me out of one or two tricky situations as my Jaguar is terrible in the snow, even with winter tyres on. The chains are fairly easy to get on or off, but I could do with a bit more practise when it's warm and dry!

Anyway, my wife has a Honda CRV which performs very well in the snow even just with all-season tyres on, but I'd like to carry some chains around anyway just in case if we go to a resort in her car. Although the size of the tyre is not listed on the box of my chains, by doing the maths I worked out they fitted fine, and trying them out once this proved to be the case.

4x4 specific chains are much more expensive than ones for saloon cars, so what am I risking by using my chains on her car in an emergency? It can't be due to the weight as my Jaguar is much heavier than her car.
snow conditions
snowchains,
Quote:

Wherever chains are mandatory despite vehicle make or model they are required to be held in the car. And used where appropriate.

Now I'm Confused ( Which isn't difficult ).

I have a Ford Mondeo 2 Litre Diesel fitted with 235 x 40 x R18 tyres and alloy wheels. The Handbook states snow chains not recommended but I can get a pair for £32 to fit this type of wheel and being only 9mm thick I should have the clearance necessary.

I always was led to believe that although Snow Socks could be an alternative but it still didn't negate you from having to use Snow Chains if the Police or area stated it. In fact autosock.co.uk website also states in their FAQ section " Q6: Are they approved for use on roads where snow chains are mandatory?
A6: This is a grey area. It's better to be safe than sorry, so you should take snow chains for e.g. self-drive ski holidays to the Alps. In any event the tests show that snow chains are superior in hill starts - see Research & Development.

However :-

I contacted roofbox.co.uk who are a licensed distributor for autosock.co.uk and they categorically stated that they had been approved by the Gendarmerie and drew my attention to the area of tests and approvals also on the autosock website which in this part of the website states :-

" Since 2010 AutoSock is certified to comply with the French winter equipment regulations and can be used in France where the snowchain sign (B26) is in place. See below. AutoSock are the only snow socks that have been tested and approved to be used in France as an equivalent snow chain product. You will need to make sure you have the correct sticker if you are going to be using AutoSock in France. "

" AutoSock may now be used in France as an equivalent snow chain product. Here is an extract from the Gendarmerie web site which those going to France would do well to print out and take with them, just in case the local Gendarmerie questions this change in regulations: "

The extract on the Gendarmerie website states :-

" Les chaussettes:

Elles sont autorisées et utilisables en présence du signal B26 si la marque qui les distribue a bien notifié sur l'emballage que leur produit est utilisable en présence de ce panneau. Equipé de chaussettes, un véhicule doit respecter une vitesse limite, fixée par le constructeur, de 50km/h. Afin d'éviter une usure rapide, elles ne doivent pas être utilisées sur sol sec. Ces équipements de substitution ne peuvent, en aucun cas, remplacer des chaînes traditionnelles dans des conditions extrêmes. "

I Translated it into English using Google Translate

" Socks:

They are authorized and used in the presence of B26 signal if the mark which has notified the distributor on the package that their product is used in the presence of this panel. Equipped with socks, a vehicle must comply with a speed limit fixed by the manufacturer of 50km / h. To prevent rapid wear, they should not be used on dry ground. These devices can not substitute in any case, replacing traditional channels in extreme conditions. "

So are Snow Socks no definately authorised to be used in France or is it still a Grey area as the autosock website still states.

Although these are more expensive than the snow chains, they are not likely to damage my alloy wheel which are very soft and scratch easily or get caught on the suspension arm potentially causing major damage.
snow conditions
BTW autosocks website also states that it would be a good idea to print out a sticker and attach it to the snow sock packaging.

Surely if it is authorised to be used in France it should already come with an official sticker attached !!!!!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy