Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler VS Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Haven't posted for a while, but its good to be back.

I have the option of this seasons trip being to either of the 2 in the title. Can anybody tell me which one the would choosed and why?? Thanks in advance!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barthez1980, barthez1980, Depends what you want, I did a season in Banff whilst doing my instructor quals. I think you'll be happy at either but need to know more about what you like? Time of year? Banff can be cold.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Grizwald, well basically, I may be taking a few months off work and doing a season in either. I like to ski the off-piste and love searching for new places off the beaten track. Also love to hop about in the park. Has to be some decent nightlife for me to enjoy aswell...Cheers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
barthez1980, Sorry I didn't have time for a more detailed response to your post yesterday. I haven't skied much in Whistler relative to Banff and surrounding mountains.

Here are my thoughts, give me a shout back if you want any further info.

Banff is a town Whistler is a resort

You need to ride the bus or have a car in Banff IMO-You will not need a car in Whistler.

Banff has great lodging, restaurants, Canadian hospitality and 3 great ski areas to choose from each day: Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, and Norquay which are all "nearby". That is, each ski area is 20 to 30 minutes away from the town of Banff. So depending on where you choose to stay in Banff, you will either drive or take a bus (preferred) to the ski area of your choice for that day.

There was no charge for the bus - just show them you lift pass. For example. W&BC you're on the door step of the gondola/lifts depending on where you're staying.

The skiing available to Banff is awesome and there is plenty of the terrain you're after, if you don't already know in Canada there is basically in bounds and out of bounds. The total skiable area almost matches that of Whistler Blackcomb. The largest of the three resorts is Lake Louise, about 40 minutes from Banff and a scenic 30-minute bus ride from Sunshine. Mt Norquay is small but steep, and well worth visiting for at least half a day.

Banff can be so so cooooolllllddd and dry for long periods, Whistler can be cloudy, and rainy at resort level. Whistler has more of an 'international crowd' whilst Banff area less so.

All things considered W&BC has been voted the best skiing in North America for many years.
Either way, you cannot lose. Both are world class ski destinations with lots to do when you are not on the slopes. There is no perfect ski area and they are all subject to the whims of the weather. On balance, both areas get their fair share of great ski days, and hopefully you will be there to enjoy yours either.

Why not try both if you have that amount of time?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done two seasons in Whistler and now live just down the road (albeit a 100Km one!), but I'm not sure if you are looking for "off the beaten track and off-piste", I'd do either.
Both are pretty mainstream (incidentally Whistler is quite a big town, more so than Banff iirc). If you want to base yourself in one place then Whistler is a pretty good choice, but for real off piste you can't beat some of the smaller places in the interior, my favourite being Red Mountain.
You could base yourself there (Rossland), Nelson, Revelstoke, Fernie, etc, get yourself a car and some snow tyres (though be aware in BC even a complete beater is ridiculously expensive as is insurance) and ski all the interior spots which though smaller is definitely a quality over quantity thing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah just saw the thing about Park and Nightlife - Whistler would be a better choice than the interior. Guess you can still do roadtrips for the odd visit if you get bored of Whistler/Banff, Banff would probably be slightly better located for this.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There was no charge for the bus - just show them you lift pass

I think this is only true if you have very expensive tri-area lift passes. I don't think a season pass gets free bussing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy