Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon BASI

Poster: A snowHead
Do they just have ridiculously long delivery times? I ordered from them over a week ago now and the stuff still hasnt been dispatched...

Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Says 7-10 working days when you order IIRC. Put an order in yesterday, not expecting it for a while.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not unusual, IME the goods often come directly from France. The UK office may have it's allocation (and therefore accept orders) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's physically in stock here. Also, the BASI Salomon website clearly says they are having system issues so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're leaving for the season very soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
perhaps if instructors ordered their kit early (ie in the summer when the deal come out.....as a retailer we have to order in MARCH to guarantee stock) then there wouldn't be this mass of panicking people leaving for the season and not having their kit in time rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My order took about 4 weeks.

As Raceplate says, it came from directly from France.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
perhaps if instructors ordered their kit early (ie in the summer when the deal come out

Unfortunately they don't let you order as soon as the offer comes out, you have to wait for it to be showing as "in stock" - and you have to keep checking as the "stock alert" system doesn't work.

And if everything you want isn't in stock at the same time, you have to pay handling charge on each order.

My order (when I eventually was able to place it) took about two weeks, and yes it comes direct from france.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW +1

Ordering has been particularly painful this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, like RobW said the stuff I wanted only came in stock last week so I couldnt order earlier
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just checked my dates and it was a bit longer than two weeks:
Ordered on 5th Sep. Credit card debited same day.
Goods sent on 23rd Sep and arrived on 26th.

Note that the 7-10 days is from when dispatched to delivery - not order to delivery.

[Dispatch email also said sent by UPS, but the link provided was to DHL!]
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Another dig at instructors ordering skis?

Seems to me that the stock available to instructors is the left overs from the years production once the retailers have placed and had their orders filled.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spiky1013, Be patient - it will turn up. My boots did snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spiky1013, I have sent them three emails, all without reply so far. One got an automated response telling me about the 'problems', and since then...........not a sausage. Would be nice to get an answer so I can ORDER something!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
freestyleandy, emailed them almost a month ago now about a different enquiry and never got a reply, not even an automated one!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poor Estelle has a few thousand instructors all ordering at the same time all looking for the same kit, and getting in the region of 40% discount. So you have to wait an extra week or two!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Order from the Atomic deal, they're dead quick and the service generally is very efficient ...

I'll get me coat ... Wink
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Order from the Atomic deal, they're dead quick and the service generally is very efficient ...

Plus, you know, better skis

Razz
snow report
SkiRider, I didn't like to mention that wink
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood,

i don't sell skis so don't give a dam where instructors order them from, problem we have is in the way the system works, it has (with certain brands) cut the retailer out the loop altogether, it used to work by you taking your licence to a number of retailers who filled in the order, took the product from stock and either reordered it at the deal price or got a credit of the discount from the supplier, we see a number of people every year who turn up for footbed/fitting etc with boots that are 1 sometimes 2 sizes too big it is frustrating for us and them, if they were measured up in the first place then they might get the correct size and a suitable product, the thing then works 2 ways, the instructor gets great service and can then refer their clients to the shop, knowing that they will get the same level of service, this all fell apart a few years ago when certain retailers were unwilling to take a bit of a margin hit so Salomon (and some others) went direct, the simple solution instead of making it a blanket thing and cutting the independents out of the loop would have been to offer the deal via the retailers and let the individual retailers decide if they want to be part of it. most with any clue about marketing their businesses and gettign referrals would have signed up
latest report
CEM, Sounds like a sensible and clever approach. I shall copy and past and ensure the relevant people at Salomon see it.

roga, Yeah because they are not all ordered through the same person NehNeh
snow conditions
roga wrote:

ditto Rossignol
latest report
ordered some clothng from Salomon this year and it arrived a couple of weeks ago - a bit slow but not unacceptable.

What I think was unacceptable was putting the offer on the BASI website several months ago with very attractive prices - but then when all the stock was available towards end of August all the prices mysteriously increased by approx 20% without explanation.
snow conditions
Fattes13 wrote:
roga, Yeah because they are not all ordered through the same person NehNeh

Dunno but it seems Atomic (and Rossi apparently) are a bit better at fulfilling orders (and sticking to the original price) Razz
ski holidays
roga, smithski, would of used either of them for equipment but it was clothing so went through salomon
ski holidays
smithski wrote:
prices mysteriously increased by approx 20% without explanation.

That'll be the VAT. In previous years the prices have been excluding VAT and P&P, whereas this year is incl VAT and P&P.

Rossi have done the same this year. Most of the others are ex-VAT and P&P.
latest report
CEM wrote:
the simple solution instead of making it a blanket thing and cutting the independents out of the loop would have been to offer the deal via the retailers and let the individual retailers decide if they want to be part of it. most with any clue about marketing their businesses and gettign referrals would have signed up

Completely agree. Frankly, I'd prefer to buy from, and have a relationship with, a retailer.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, sounds a very valid explanation. Despite the increase (VAT!) it's still a very good deal, esp for clothing.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
smithski wrote:
prices mysteriously increased by approx 20% without explanation.

That'll be the VAT. In previous years the prices have been excluding VAT and P&P, whereas this year is incl VAT and P&P.

Rossi have done the same this year. Most of the others are ex-VAT and P&P.

Nope Salomon just put the prices up; the deal this year WAS 1/2 price and the VAT included; they then changed it. (maybe they FORGOT the VAT).

BUT; Atomic BASI offer is still EX vat.

V odd....
snow conditions
maybbe the instructors getting these deals should think about why they are posting them on a public forum..... they are meant to be confidential, are they not
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, +1 on that comment re posting the details here.

FWIW I have never bothered taking advantage of the offers prefering instead to by last year skis from smaller outlets, the clearance prices are often better anyway, besides which I dont believe that the quality of my skiing justifies having the lastest and greatest all the time.

It is interesting to hear about the backgroung and I can appreciate your position on the matter, the original system would have been better for all concerned, Would it be fair to say that it was one or more of the 'Large National chains' that killed off the original way of working?
snow report
CEM wrote:
maybbe the instructors getting these deals should think about why they are posting them on a public forum..... they are meant to be confidential, are they not

No I do not believe they are confidential. But the offers are for members use only and not to be abused. I don't believe any posts in this thread are inappropriate, but if I was to start posting product and pricing details that's another matter
latest report
CEM wrote:

The first rule of proform... Don't talk about proform!
snow conditions
Deal is a closed deal and should probably not be discussed openly on a public forum, Perhpas Apres Zone would be more approptiate or on a BASI chatroom.

Ditto for the Atomic Deal discussion.

CEM, Have flagged your idea with the relevant people at Salomon.
snow conditions
There is no BASI chatroom/forum! rolling eyes
snow conditions
roga, there's a Facebook page for BASI members which gets a bit of discussion.
snow report
roga, I know Razz
ski holidays
rob@rar, I know Razz

Wink
latest report
There's no BASI chatroom as members tend to congregate elsewhere (eg here), rather than go specifically to the BASI website (there was a discussion forum for a while, but it wasn't used).

I've asked BASI what the position is on discussing the offers. In the meantime perhaps this discussion should be moved to Bend Ze Knees which is not public?
snow report
Sorry... didnt realise this would cause such a problem!

Feel free to move it or even delete it, think the discussion has pretty much run its cause Smile
snow conditions
I'm sure the greater public aren't massively surprised that instructors get deals on certain brands of kit so I'm not sure there is any big secret here. Folks make sure you haggle hard when buying used kit off an instructor as you can bet he/she never paid full price and probably tax deducted it as well wink
snow report
The official response from BASI is:

The offers are only for BASI Members and can only be accessed via the BASI Members Area, however there is no confidentiality surrounding the fact that BASI Members receive offers from various services and businesses. BASI does remind Members that they are exclusively for BASI Members and should use discretion when ordering product and should avoid posting details/ codes etc on social network sites as this may jeopardise future Member offers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy