Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais to Megeve - how long?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone estimate how long it would take to go from St Gervais on skis to the base of the PT Vorasset lift in Megeve please? It looks straightforward enough but I don't know this area at all.

It would be to get kids to ski school meeting point for 10.00 and it would be half term week Skullie

Thanks very much snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would estimate 40 minutes from the main lift station in the town once you have negotiated the queue down there, or a more certain 30 minutes from Le Bettex. This is including a lift queue of 10 minutes for the gondola up from Le Bettex. The new chair on Mont Rosset will help if the queues are very bad as it will provide an alternative.
However, I would aim to be at Le Bettex at 9 am.
I would add that it is definitely best to buy your lift passes in advance, either on line or the previous evening at the tourist office /lift stations as the worst queues are to buy passes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 30-10-11 22:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beequin, many thanks Smile

Would it be any quicker to drive round? Or drive up to Le Bettex?

I am asking as I have a preference for ESI school and I can't see that there is one in St Gervais, so closest is Megeve. ESF is at Le Bettex, I might be persuaded if I heard any good reports of it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, it would be a fair bit quicker to drive up to Megeve - the first lift you'd come to is the Princessa IIRC, where there's a big car park.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, I endorse all of the above; driving all the way to the Mont d'Arbois plateau (where the schools meet) would be the quickest, but who can resist a ski? The Princesse option is probably best. There are a few different ways down from the top of that lift, to suit all abilities, but my favourite is Pylones - there's an excellent twisty chicane at the top that you can schuss if you're feeling up to it. A little challenging on early morning hardpack snowHead .

The ESI guys are great; they organise GS races that I go in for from time to time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is about 10 minutes drive to Princesse, but this will not save you a lot of time as you still need to go up to Mont d'Arbois and down to Pt Vorasses. The drive to the Mt d'Arbois telecabine is a further 10-15 mins.

There is an ESI in St Gervais ( http://www.saintgervais.com/en/alpine-and-sports/ski-schools.html ). We used it when my children were young, but it was no better than the ESF which we found to be decent with enough english speakers.

A final piece of info to bear in mind is that there are works going on for a new bridge which make the car park at St Gervais more crowded than it was (which was quite crowded already in half-term weeks).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, laundryman, thank you very much, very useful.

beequin, thanks again! I saw the ESI listing on the St Gervais website as per your link but then there is no listing for them on the ESI site and their own site is not working, I thought maybe they'd disappeared.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, we were in St Gervais for a season 2 years ago and used ESF for the lessons that we had - including my son then 11 twice a week with the local kids ski programme and including a week for lower level at half term. (9 in the group). They were absolutely fine with good English, good, fun instruction and good care - Walter and Stefan would come particularly well recommended by my son with Laurence (female) a not too distant 3rd place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie, I remember your stint there Very Happy That's great, if we end up going there then I may well just choose this line of least resistance Laughing

I am not too worried for my son as he is very able now and can cope with the rigours of the ESF but there will be small beginners in our party and I have always felt that ESI manage those better with smaller groups and a more sympa attitude!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beequin wrote:

A final piece of info to bear in mind is that there are works going on for a new bridge which make the car park at St Gervais more crowded than it was (which was quite crowded already in half-term weeks).

is that the roadworks on the main road opposite the bettex lift? I thought it was a re-modelling of a roundabout or something, its a right mess at the moment! Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they're building a by-pass of some kind, I believe - it was all pretty chaotic when I was there a few weeks ago for a fair, but then the town was extra busy that day. There were long, long, delays in both directions at the one way traffic lights at the bottom of the road down from Megeve.

Every time I go through St G, which isn't very often, I am reminded how nice it is - the day of the fair was lovely, bright sun, loads of people, cows of various kinds, heavy horses, mules, sheep, puppies, loads of loads of the usual market tat, several Andean musicians Puzzled and much else besides.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, the ESI in St Gervais had a tiny team and as such they weren't able to offer too many levels for peak dates such as half-term. We lost contact with them but they may still be going. The ESF has improved in recent years and personally I would not drag the kids all the way to the meeting point in Megeve in the morning during half-term. Breakfast, getting them kitted out, getting to Bettex lift, more skiing - by the time you get there you will be so stressed that you will need to spend the rest of the morning on vin chaud drip wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

personally I would not drag the kids all the way to the meeting point in Megeve in the morning during half-term.

No, I don't think I would, either. Very boring for them and stressful for you, worrying about the timing. And would severely constrain what you could do during the morning when they're in ski school.

for littlies, it's so nice to be able to just flop, and relax, after ski school.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
XPeak, thanks Smile If we do go there I will look up the ESI just in case but may well plump for the ESF. We would be ok getting to Megeve with our son, would be a warm up run for him, but for the others in our party it will be a no go.

Actually quite like the sound of spending the morning on a vin chaud drip though Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
XPeak wrote:
sarah, the ESI in St Gervais had a tiny team and as such they weren't able to offer too many levels for peak dates such as half-term. We lost contact with them but they may still be going. The ESF has improved in recent years and personally I would not drag the kids all the way to the meeting point in Megeve in the morning during half-term. Breakfast, getting them kitted out, getting to Bettex lift, more skiing - by the time you get there you will be so stressed that you will need to spend the rest of the morning on vin chaud drip wink

you must have been there the same time as us for the cattle fair then. It was a top day, a little surreal but managed to get a load of cheese and ham off some of the stalls Very Happy

were just the other side of the valley in passy. heading over on saturday night for the hockey Very Happy

Sorry.... a little of topic Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy