Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Contradictions of having the warmest days in October ever recorded in the UK and news reports mentioning a "mini ice age" the next week, I start to wonder which way things are going to turn and how the rest of EU is effected.

What are your views on the snow falls this winter Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-10-11 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I've seen early November in Tignes is likely to be very poor. High winds, probably close the glacier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Way too early to tell. Happy birthday! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
awesome, just the time I'll be there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, thanks wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlanB1976, It is that nervous time of year. After a pretty poor winter in parts of France last year (where lots of people go) you never know what you are going to get. But it is too early to know how the season will be at this stage. Last year there was lots of snow in France early on, but then got washed away and the base never really got cold enough. When I was in Morzine in January the warm weather and then cold when we were there created lots of ice, dangerous in places. Other parts of Europe did much better. All a bit of a lottery as ever I expect
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow worries in october ???? Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
more about worries concerning the amount of snow over the entire winter
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlanB1976, happy birthday. Do stop worrying about snow. It's always a complete waste of time, but never more so than in October. I have spent most of the last ten octobers in the Alps, much of the time walking in light clothing or sitting round on the terrace enjoying lunches and a drink. it sometimes snows, always melts. Whether there's a good season for snow this 2011/12 isn't a question of trends in the climate. It's just weather, and anybody who pretends to have much idea what the weather will do more than a few weeks ahead is kidding you.

Relax and have another slice of cake. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the French Northern Alps, better than last year but a below average winter with some excellent weeks here and there.

November: some good ski conditions late in the month after an anxious wait for resorts to start opening.
December: foehn blasts early snow leaving poor conditions for Christmas
January: anticyclone and coldish days leave north facing pistes icy and southern slope bare, some early corn skiing
February: more of the same
March: series of storms brings some excellent skiing in places
April: warm weather as resorts struggle to make end of season
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, thanks. Cake already had.
Bad title actually. Of course I am concerned that there will be little snow but not in the way that it effects me. It's out of my control so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it wink
I started this more to see what everyone thinks will happen this season. I have no clue, so was wondering what the veterans think.

Title edited

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 24-10-11 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof seems to know exactly what is happening NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know for a fact it wont snow in the UK as I spent most of yesterday fitting the snow blade attachment to my Garden Tractor!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlanB1976 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea but trends are for poorer winters so there is a better than evens chance it will be below average, last winter was a stinker in the northern French Alps so there is also a good chance it will be better than last wiinter. We always get excited with the first flurries of winter then worry in early November then get our November hopes dashed by warm temperatures and high winds in early December and Jan/Feb often see blocking highs followed by a last blast of winter in March. Springs seem to be coming earlier too.

Less early snow this autumn, which is a good thing I think.

Failing all that ask the peasants.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlanB1976 wrote:

E's makin it oop inneee Toofy Grin
snow report
I think its going to be a good winter for snow - I was over near the M25 in July and there was snow everywhere , but to be fair most people were wearing t shirts.

if we have snow that early in the UK its bound to be a good year

The councils look well prepared, I had no trouble on the M25 nor on any of the roads in Hertfordshire

wink
ski holidays
AlanB1976, in this day and age, all resorts have good snowmaking facilities so even with low natural snowfall, low overnight temperatures allow plentiful snowmaking. I can honestly say in the last 6 years of ski trips the snow has consistently been better than memories of my youth. I particularly remember a January trip to La Plagne where only the very top runs around the glacier were open. It was all brown and green at resort level. And that's one of the highest resorts. It's really not worth worrying about any more. But that doesn't stop webcam-watching being a fun and non-productive way of spending your time...
latest report
I really am hoping for a repeat of the last two years. Can't wait to get out in to the Pentlands and hopefully Arthur's Seat if (when) it happens Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy