Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Guest" transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a need for a transceiver that we can lend out to guests.

By necessity it needs to be something dead easy to use as the user isn't going to have lots of practice with it. Equally, it doesn't need multiple burial capability, but does need search capability.

MrsFS and I have Barryvox Pulses and are very happy with them, but I'd like to avoid that level of cost (if I can).

I know that there have been a fair number of new models on the market in the last couple of years and was wondering if anyone has any views on suitable models?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, the easiest to use are the BCA Tracker 2, Ortovox 3+ and the Ortovox Patroller digital, the Patroller digital is the old D3 which has been used for a few years by many off piste operations as the loan transceiver for guests as its very easy to use and also the cheaper option over the Tracker 2 and the Ortovox 3+

You would also need to be lending a shovel and probe to the guests as well.

I will avoid getting into any comments about training guests on the use of avi equipment Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tracker is incredibly simple to use.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks livetoski and clarky999.

livetoski - shovel, probe and training do "go without saying" and are therefore well worth reiterating!

I won't ski with anyone off-piste until I've skied on-piste with them and if they haven't used a transceiver before then they only come out as part of a bigger group.

Some of our "guests" already know how to use a transceiver.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a great deal on a Tracker 2, shovel and probe from Ebay.com recently, I think the original trackers were even cheaper.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, if I was lending a beeper to a "guest" that I was relying on to find me I'd buy an S1. Done. And an ABS. Probably an Avalung too. Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair point parlor.

I should have been clearer in the term "guest". Invariably friends who are staying with us, but haven't brought their arva kit (for whatever reason). Very occasionally, friends who are relatively new to off-piste skiing and, in which case, we always have more experienced friends along who we can rely on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni, I was poking more than anything but it's worth remembering!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for BCA Tracker 2

Damn easy to use, and clear indication of what's going on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've a Tracker 1 as a loaner as I figured it was idiot proof.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have just bought another Ortovox S1 in case a skiing companion doesn't have one. Goes without saying that if they are not that knowledgeable on transceiver searches that we would be doing a few test searches before going out.
The S1, I have found very easy to us. (Even for techno dummies like myself!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Touchguru, Agreed the S1 is pretty easy to use, when I did a transceiver taster session wth 10 complete novices, the S1 did not do that well, novice users mostly went with the Tracker 2 and the Ortovox 3+. I think the confusion with the S1 is how it reads behind and in front on distance on the initial search.

The other thing that should be kept in mind is that the read out of the Tracker 2 is very easy to see, if like many people, guests need reading glasses then the LCD readout transceivers can be a real pain to see. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy