Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Congratulations kitenski!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Well done to Greg, passed his L2 today, super duper Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done indeed - would love to hear a report from your week Greg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantastic! Very well deserved. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
this forum is definitely taking on a life of its own I read the title as congratulations kitchenski at first. Embarassed

Anyway, congratulations. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done Greg!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, very pleased.

kieranm, what do you want to know?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ey up lad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, well done from me Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well done Greg, well deserved.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice one...though I still read your username as a small cat that skis Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

.though I still read your username as a small cat that skis Smile

+1 wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meow
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

kieranm, what do you want to know?

One thing I'd be interested in is how it compared to the L2 course you took in Val d'Isere. As someone who is going to be buying one of these courses soon I'm wondering if any are better than others or if BASI and the partner ski schools manage to deliver a consistent course.

Also, having seen you ski, I'd be interested to know if you had to make many changes to your skiing during the week. Were there any surprises?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kieranm, I'd say the quality of the course is entirely dictated by whichever Trainer is running it. As you don't know who your Trainer is going to be until you arrive on the course I don't think you can say for certain whether one particular location, or one particular business partner, is going to be better than the others.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kieranm, no real surprises tbh, some new tips for the bumps, and got pushed to try new things with my shorts, but all building on what del boy did with us.
latest report
On consistency Jaz skied with both groups to checkpoint consistency across the trainers and groups.

Buy both ICE and BASS were well run courses with plenty of input.
snow report
congratulations Smile
latest report
kieranm, ran out of time. There were two courses being run by BASS, each was delivered differently with the same end goals and criteria as per the basi levels.

Two examples is that we spent some time in the half pipe, understanding pressure, whereas the other group didn't. We also did laps on a green beginners slope, as did the other group, but we had our boots undone and the others didn't.

So long winded way of saying it's the trainer who mou moulds the course.
latest report
Thanks kitenski (and rob@rar). That's pretty much what I expected, but good to know none the less. I'm surprised the ski schools don't try and do some "value add" to differentiate themselves and encourage people to use them rather than some one else, but perhaps this is just such a small part of their business that it's not worth it.
snow report
kitenski, well done fella. It was always a case of "when" rather than "if" you were going to get it. Cool
snow report
Excellent, well done. What's L2 btw, obviously some kind of BASI stuff but can you elaborate a bit ?
snow report
davidof, Alpine Level 2, details here http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-ski-level-2.aspx

page 4 and 5 tell you more about what is needed to pass

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_2_Instructor_More_About_the_Course_July_2011.pdf
ski holidays
When I did my L2; there were 3 groups running in parallel. Some stuff we all did; some things one group did.

IMO; the trainers are looking at "what the group and the individuals in that group need" and producing sessions that address these group requirements.

No 2 experiences will be the same.

I assume the trainers are trying to get as many of their group to the level, or as close as possible within the timescales.
snow report
kitenski, well done, what are you hoping to do with this L2 qualification. Do you instruct at home already?
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, not sure yet! trying to work out what/if to do with it....around main job, family etc
ski holidays
kitenski,

Well done!
ski holidays
Well done Happy Which venue was it?
snow report
balernoStu, Morzine was the official location (but we actually skied in Avoriaz)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski

Congrats snowHead
snow report
well done kitenski, i'll let you know when interski advertise, I've done a couple of weeks since passing my level 2 and can give you the low down, send me a pm if you want details m8

I'm pleased u got your longs sorted Smile
snow report
Great stuff kitenski
snow report
kitenski wrote:
davidof, Alpine Level 2, details here http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-ski-level-2.aspx

page 4 and 5 tell you more about what is needed to pass

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_2_Instructor_More_About_the_Course_July_2011.pdf

okay thanks, I'll have a gander.
latest report
kitenski,
Well done

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-04-14 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I read the BASI stuff. It is difficult to appreciate the standard if you've not done any of their courses but I understand they are very keen on everything being demonstrated the BASI way with some precision. Again very well done.
snow conditions
kitenski, Bravo Good work snowHead
Q: Did you do much teaching between L1 & L2 aside from the compulsory 35hrs paid?
snow report
franzClammer, all 70 hours prior to L2 can be shadowing, you don't have to do teaching hours, paid or not.
ski holidays
oops, misread that one....... cheers rob@rar,
latest report
Davidof, in my experience there is not a BASI way - its just good skiing - Austrian instructors tell me the same thing as BASI instructors. I overheard an Austrian instructor the other day and his advice to his group was exactly the same as a BASI instructor. Unless the laws of physics and biomechanics are somehow different for Brits I can't see how it should be different. Certainly there will be some style and approach differences but surely the fundamentals are the same regardless of nationality.
snow report
TTT, well said Smile

franzClammer, I've not done any paid hours Sad
snow report
TTT wrote:
Davidof, in my experience there is not a BASI way

To be honest I know nothing about BASI bar what is written here but the posts here always talk about their different approach to the Euros (or French) with a much better teaching system.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy