Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gap between goggles and helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Can someone please tell me why there shouldn't be a gap between helmet and goggles? Is it comfort, cold hitting your head, goggle movement????
And by no gap, must the helmet be pushing on the goggles or should there be no pressure between the 2?
Thanks
Alan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you post some photos of the offending gap ?
I read something about this problem on the TGR forum once....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have a gap yet NehNeh
I'm looking to buy a helmet and need to know what I must look out for
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The gap is important - prevents your goggles misting up, and prevents overheating. It also singles you out from all the wannabe's and the posers......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The gap is important - prevents your goggles misting up, and prevents overheating. It also singles you out from all the wannabe's and the posers......

I read that there shouldn't be a gap :S
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976, Someone on here told you that, didn't they? rolling eyes

Never trust anyone who hides behind the anonymity of an internet forum or who is trying to sell you something
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Never trust anyone who hides behind the anonymity of an internet forum

....hmmmmm..... didn't you just advise me over the same medium Laughing

I always try to get multiple opinions before starting to make my mind up anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor, apart from sex, obv
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlanB1976, there should not be a gap -you're being wound up! You need to develop antenna to discern when it's a wind up and as Guvnor, has alluded, you will be fed a pile of tosh, even here on SH's. It's possible that he's smarting from the excellent rugby result from last weekend (I don't really mean it -they was robbed) (example of windup/tosh) No, I'm absolutely delighted with the result even thought he wrong team won snowHead

Guvnor, hang11, Interesting views and questions: I guess it's largely subjective:

The photo illustrates the point really well. thanks (hang11,

Firstly it looks really silly - rolling eyes bit of a giveaway

Secondly your forehead and head will be amazingly cold. Potentially very painful.rolling eyes

Thirdly IMO the Goggle top curve should closely match the helmet and also the sides, so that the goggles fit into the helmet rather than sitting on it. A correctly fitting helmet with good a good venting system will complete the package. Have a look at the www.giro.com website and see if you can spot any helmet/goggle combinations that look anything like hang11's fantastic example: Giro at least aim at a fitted/fitting solution and their picture show how a helmet and goggle should be combined to fit.

From the Oakley website - Tanner Hall http://www.oakley.com/sports/ski/athletes/119/album/photos/116162 and http://www.oakley.com/sports/ski/athletes/119/album/photos/14869 : - if it's good enough for Tanner then I'd respectfully suggest that those suggesting that goggles should NOT fit and/or there should be a silly gap are perhaps talking through their helmets: Embarassed

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-10-11 11:23; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think that if a helmet is worn with a gap it is actually an indication that the helmet doesn't fit correctly.

To get a helmet to sit like this there must be excessive play in the chin strap therefore this might mean that there is a risk that in some accidents it could come off (a hit from behind) or that the bottom back of the helmet could dig into the nape of your neck if hit from the front.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanB1976, Alan have you looked at the TGR forum, they will give honest advice about the problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You need to develop antenna to discern when it's a wind up

I'm not that naive to believe the first thing I read wink . Why do you think I go on so much in my posts. I always make sure multiple people support it and there is reason behind, not just blind faith. You could say there is method to my madness Laughing

I already have Demon goggles, so will have to see what fits well.
Is it ok if the helmet pushes down on the goggles or must there be no pressure?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lightningdan,

You may well be right, but the TGR forum is one of the few to make the SH search option look good!

Without your help on that website OP would perhaps have better luck finding a new wife or a free fully paid up season with beer and flights in Whistler than finding the thread relating to the helmet/goggle fit? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the word GAPER has its foundings with this problem

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gaper

A gaper is a skiier or snowboarder who is completely clueless. Usually distiungished by their bright colored clothes and a gaper gap, the gap between goggles and a helment/hat. Gapers also do the "Gaper Tuck" which is an attempt at being a ski racer by tucking, however, it is done incorrectly with the poles sticking straight up like thunderbolts and lighting, very very frightning! Gapers also sit at the bottom of jumps and try and go big off table tops in the park.
1. My eyes are burning from that gapers bright colored clothes.
2. I fell off the chair laughing at that gaper tuck.
3. Did you just see that gaper getting landed on because he was sitting like a dumbass at the landing of a jump.
buy gaper mugs & shirts
gape skiier snowboarder boarder old people bright colors
by Abe W Jan 3, 2006 share this add a video
2. gaper 227 up, 36 down
A skier or snowboarder who sucks and is usually spotted wearing clothing from 1983, but other clothing styles for them do exist. A dead giveaway of a gaper is when their pants are tucked into their boots and the famous "Gaper Gap" (a gap between the helmet/hat and the goggles). Gapers sometimes temporarily inhabit the entrance to a terrain park. They will sit on their ass for a good 5-10 minutes talking about what they are going to do of a that "jump" or "rail" while everyone behind them goes before them and they stare at them with their mouth gaped open. Once they finally decide to leave their home at the entrance of the terrain park, the gaper will eventually decide to either roll over the jump and mess up all the lips, or they will try and actually hit the jump. If this occurs, they generally end up coming up half way short of the landing on their ass and yardsale, while the person behind them runs them over and/or yells at them. Gapers may also make turns or snowplow down green runs and sometime try to act cool by crouching and sticking their ski poles in the air but are totally oblivioius to the fact that they look even more stupid than they previously were. Gapers often find themselves on the top of a black diamond run because they are dumbasses and can't read a map. When they approach the run, they may either turn around, stare at it, sit down on the top of it, or just simply w...
more...
buy gaper mugs & shirts
gaper gaper-gap gaper-day day gap
by Scabby Anderson Jan 18, 2009 share this add a video
3. gaper 257 up, 105 down
A beginner skier or snowboarder who has no clue as to what they're doing on the mountain. They crash all over the place and get in your way. Refered to as a gaper because of the gap between their hat and goggles, also known as a gaper-gap. See also Guppy
latest report
Laughing Laughing
latest report
AlanB1976,
Quote:
Is it ok if the helmet pushes down on the goggles or must there be no pressure?

Firstly the helmet should sit comfortably and snugly. I believe that similar guidelines should be applied to snow helmets as you would use for say a motor cycle crash helmet or racing helmet.

The golden rules there were to buy the best helmet you could afford as you only get one head.
To make sure it fits securely, that it does not move when you are wearing it -otherwise it may well expose you to additional injury or come off when you need it to be on. You also need to have clear vision, so if it drops or move, or indeed if you cannot see out of it then don't buy it. A lot of the crash helmet retailers provide fitting/buying guides which are basically good common sense:

In answer to your last question -
I've encountered that, so for me at least it's a very strong NO - It was uncomfortable, the goggles moved allowing gaps which let in cold air, rather than through the vents -cold face, condensation and discomfort and interference with vision:
snow report
thanks.

...and see..... I start with a little question and the thread ends up miles long through no fault of my own Razz
snow report
AlanB1976, SH's was custom built for you -the other 26,976 Snowheads all joined to serve you and to ensure that you are able to begin your skiing career safely whilst looking cool on the slopes. Cool
latest report
AlanB1976, The real reason I wear a helmet and googles is to protect other skiiers from seeing my face: Embarassed

marcellus, Will confirm this is my way of paying back society and to protect the innocent.
snow conditions
Jivebaby, lol Laughing

Quote:

SH's was custom built for you -the other 26,976 Snowheads all joined to serve you and to ensure that you are able to begin your skiing career safely whilst looking cool on the slopes.

Finally, someone understands wink
ski holidays
Jivebaby, Maybe, but they do go on about it quite alot, might need a gnarly to English translator.

He could just post a question along the lines of "how big should the gap be.........."
latest report
Jivebaby wrote:
marcellus, Will confirm this is my way of paying back society and to protect the innocent.

yep, Jivebaby is an ugly F****er!! Laughing
latest report
Double post

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 20-10-11 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
marcellus, Ouch! The truth hurts - and AlanB1976, Never trust a man with a gap around his helmet
ski holidays
AlanB1976, ignore all these puerile 'gaper' comments. What happens on a bluebird day when you would rather wear sunnies than goggles? There will always be a gap unless you have sunnies like the bottom of a bottle. It's totally irrelevant what you look like on the slopes, just make sure you have the protection you feel is necessary and above all, that you are comfortable.
snow conditions
I was quite looking forward to looking like a gaper NehNeh
It doesn't really bother me what I look like (as long as I don't look like a total idiot. 90% idiot is fine). Obviously, I don't go out my way to look like an idiot so generally try to fit in as long as it doesn't inconvenience me.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
AlanB1976, ignore all these puerile 'gaper' comments. What happens on a bluebird day when you would rather wear sunnies than goggles? There will always be a gap unless you have sunnies like the bottom of a bottle.

Fair comment, but even then the helmet should be correctly positioned on your head, looking at the image posted by hang11 the helmet is clearly in the wrong position and hence the gap.

queen bodecia wrote:

It's totally irrelevant what you look like on the slopes,

WTF...... What sort of woman are you?? looking good is the most important consideration when on the piste??? (you're not French or German are you per chance?)

queen bodecia wrote:

just make sure you have the protection you feel is necessary and above all, that you are comfortable.

As always safe sex is recommended!! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
It's totally irrelevant what you look like on the slopes

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, Just like Chemmy on the advert on the right, she'll catch a chill...............ripped her jacket, but the googles look great wink
snow report
FlyingStantoni, indeed. So that's the entire global ski clothing industry told that it's been barking up the wrong tree for the last 50 years.

Waterproof sacks, that's what the people need.
snow conditions
Quote:

The golden rules there were to buy the best helmet you could afford as you only get one head.

Hmm. Not sure about that. If they meet the required standard/spec they should be OK - I've not seen any evidence that paying huge amounts means you get better protection, though you might fancy yourself more in an Superannuated Rooster, or whatever, than one from Lidl.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, didn't I see a picture somewhere of you in that rather fetching rodeo type gear?
snow conditions
What I love - and we see it a lot round here, is a couple of old blokes in gear that was already past it when C & A closed, and who ski like they're doing it in their sleep, effortless. Probably retired pisteurs. I'd rather ski well in rubbish clothes than ski rubbish in stuff that cost thousands of dollars; that's the ultimate gaper. Twisted Evil

To see the ultimate "ski gods dressed like cr*p" you can't beat Areches Beaufort. The only place I've been where the majority of the skis outside the restaurant were touring skis.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:
Hmm. Not sure about that.
The helmet that Massa wore saved his life. Had he been wearing my £700 Arai race helmet which I use for Karting, he probably wouldn't have survived. The state of the art technology was widely credited for his survival. I'm concious that some would spend more for a motor racing helmet and some a lot less. Given the chances of a high speed smash, the Arai seems to do what I needed at the time, and that just happened to be the cost: The best doesn't necessarily mean expensive, although that sadly is often the case.

The evidence relating to Ski Helmet technology which is probably less advanced due to less investment as the demand and circumstances are different. Again my guess: Nevertheless, technology has improved specifications with adjustable fittings more common to ensure a better, safer fit and to avoid the helmet sliding upon impact. A well fitted cheap, low spec helmet would (my guess) probably protect you better than an expensive badly fitting top of the range gismo which potentially slides halfway off when you most need it. I've had a couple of bad cracks, both times wearing well fitting helmets, one of which may have saved my life, but certainly I'd be an eye short if that wasn't the case had I not been kitted out as well. I stick with Giro as they are a comfortable fit and are extremely well ventilated. Caveat emptor = due diligence when buying

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 20-10-11 17:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think when it comes to buying a helmet... you set the budget and then buy the one that best fits your head within the budget!

As for the "ski gods who dress like cr*p" mostly French and locals in my experience... which would be why they're in abundance in Areches Beaufort as it's not overrun by your typical Brit who are on the whole "All the gear with no idea"
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, marcellus, I can only assume your comments are in jest. I'm of the opinion that it's always irrelevant what I or anyone else looks like. If it was relevant it would implicate that I care what others think.
latest report
queen bodecia, If the debonair duo were not jesting would you care? Puzzled
latest report
queen bodecia, of course my comments about your dress code were in jest!!

Jivebaby, my comments about your beauty weren't NehNeh
snow report
To be viewed with shoogly's description above Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy