Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val da fasa

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, thinking of going to Val da Fasa in january. We have never skied Italy before (always been france or Austria mainly with the odd trip to Canada)

Thinking of going to Italy for a change in January, we are still going on our annual pilgrimage to Val disere in March but thougt we would try italy out for a change in Jan as opposed to Austria.

Basicly is it any good? both of us are good strong skiers and quite like the idea of the Sella Ronda area. Is Val da Fasa a good base etc etc?

Any thoughts from folk who have been or have experiance of the area would be great.

cheers Ya alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi
we are HUGE fans of skiig in Italy (go 2/3 times a season) and love it. Sunshine, good food, very friendly locals and decent prices for drinks!
area is great, good scenery, you'll have a great time
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would confirm that the Sella Ronda is great. The one time I had a holiday there we stayed in Colfosco, which was fine. But other places are probably equally good. Maybe you should check where it easiest to get a transfer to (there's been a thread about that recently on snowHeads).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
depthjunkie, If you are good strong skiers and are not looking for nightlife then the best base is Arabba.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not the best place to use as a base if you you want to make use and have access to the Dolomiti Superski area, Sella Ronda etc. It's basically a large very long valley with no ski in ski out, usually a bus to get to the lifts. It does mean that prices are lower and it's quieter than the other villages with direct access to the Sella Ronda. Selva is another you may want to consider. Bit of a lack of off piste if that's your thing, and low on really challenging stuff. But that scenery................
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
depthjunkie, Yes - the snowHeads annual birthday bash started off in the Val Di Fassa (Campitello) and then has migrated to be based in Arabba over the last two years.

I'd concur that Arabba is a better base for good strong skiers (but agree with riverman re the nightlife or lack of it from what I have seen).

Campitello is a bit of a pain for access as it has only the single cablecar up and no ski down.

Canzei (just up the Val Di Fassa) is a better base for ease of access and some return option although even there apparently the ski down does not end up in the same part of the village that you are likely to want to be at. Nightlife was apparently better there though.

Others such as Alba would require a bus to join up to the Sella Ronda.

But overall, I'd concur with the others, you'll enjoy it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replys, not botherd about nightlife. 35yrs old now (my disco days are well behind me now Smile ) a few apres drinks is all we want as we are normly in bed by 10-11pm on ski holidays nowadays. Getting old now Toofy Grin

going to have a look at Arabba, sounds like just the job
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depthjunkie, Arabba is right up your street by the sound of it. You can easily reach many of the main features of the Dolomites from there. Check out posts in this forum on the Hidden Valley for a great day out in the most spectacular scenery and also the Val Mesdi (with a guide) if you want something a bit tougher.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We love the area - I'd put in a vote for Corvarra, too - good access from there to both Arabba and Selva.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.fassa.com/index.asp?l=en

(it's Val di Fassa)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One season there and I am a convert. There's much more of it I need to explore but there looked to be plenty of brown trouser country for those who want it. And being Italy, the locals are born cool. No Gallic shrugging going on there!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

No Gallic shrugging going on there!

they have their very own way of waving their hands about though.......
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Oh... is that what they were doing? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, Seeing as this will be depthjunkie's first trip to the area, I think he should be warned about the dangerous bombardinos and calimeros wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, Good point... very good point indeed. Very Happy

depthjunkie, Highly recommended.... very, very, very highly recommended.... sod the warnings... wink Little Angel
snow report
depthjunkie, Fortunately you are going before the Birthday Bash, so Bombardinos and calimeros won't be in short supply. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
geepee, Little Angel Little Angel wink
snow conditions
i take it they taste better than they look and have a bit of a kick to em Smile
ski holidays
+1 for Arabba. We've been there as a family loads of times and even with two teenage girls they managed to find an interesting bar (there were boys there which was probably why it was interesting). Excellent skiing and hospitality. I would highly recommend the Malita and Mesdi hotels. The Mesdi you can actually ski to / from the hotel. Also not a bad transfer from Venice - we've used both the dolomitiski bus and hired a car.
snow report
depthjunkie, You presume correctly... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
We've skiied Italy in preference to the other alpine nations, on average its around 25% cheaper than neighbouring France!

A much nicer country with the added bonous that you dont have to contaend with the French.

As for the sella ronda area I cant comment as our first trip there is departing on christmas eve, but from what I've been told its a belting place to ski. Mum and Dad have been there several times before and like it too.
ski holidays
Dolomites are a great area. Stayed in Campitello di Fassa a couple of years ago in the Rhododendron with Crystal but owned and run by locals. Food was a bit different ... vegetarian meal one day translated as "Melted Cheese" ... and was literally that! Not Raclette style, just literally a plate of melted cheese. Very strange!

I would avoid staying in Campitello again myself. One decent basement bar and a nightclub near the cable car base, but other than that pretty deserted at night. If it has to be Val di Fassa then Canezai is where I'd stay. More going on at night, and easier to upload/download from the mountain. Do not stay in Pozza ... it's miles away from the Sella Ronda and you'll be reliant on the buses to get anywhere. Which incidentally stop for about 3 hours for lunch, which I found to my detriment when I had to walk in ski boots (carrying skis and poles) and March midday sun from Pozza to Campitello to meet back up with people. Not a nice walk!

Area and skiing was one of the best I've experienced, hence why we're heading to Selva in March for our honeymoon. People also really nice. A lot more laid back than France. Lots of Germans, Scandis and Israelis strangely??? And they play dance music in the cable cars which I've never experienced in France. Also proper apres with table top dancing going on up the hill which you rarely see in France. Generally a lot more laid back of an atmosphere which I liked.
snow report
Quote:

Food was a bit different

we found that too, in an obscure family Italian hotel. It's a bit like going to yer local Chinese every Saturday night, then expecting to find the same thing in Shanghai.

"Pure" Italian food can be fairly uncompromising. e.g. raw meat pounded with a knife, with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. For extra large number of euros - some thinly sliced truffle.
ski holidays
Chri$ wrote:
And they play dance music in the cable cars which I've never experienced in France.

The best supply of music in lifts and on slopes in the Sella Ronda area is to be had by following TallTone and his portable sound around the slopes. Toofy Grin

Word of warning - over recent years one has had to go increasingly fast to be able to follow this man Shocked
snow report
SteveM, That would explain why I haven't heard it for a while... wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy