Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options (instructor training)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm after a little bit of information/advice if possible please. I know this has been asked before (having used the search button Little Angel ) but I can't seem to find anything that is that relevant to my situation.

Basically I'm looking at getting in to snowboard instructing. It was something I'd considered and then having spent a couple of hours on the nursery slopes helping mates learning, I found I really enjoyed it. I'd quite like to do it in Austria, I've done several seasons there, love the country and speak enough German to get by.

All the information I seem to have found relates to skiiers doing the Anwarter (not just on here (didn't expect much) but also via google, unless I've been using the wrong terms) and having to do snowboarding as a second discipline, where as I'd be doing it the opposite way.

I can ski, I can quite happily get down a red run although my parallel turns are a long way from what you'd call pretty, I just feel happier and more comfortable on one plank as opposed to two.

My current thinking is to do an instructor course next summer, either BASI or SBINZ. I've already got a job lined up for this Winter cheffing but I'm going to get in touch with the local ski school and ask about shadowing the odd lesson on my day off. I'd also try and get their take on what route would be best to get in to instructing (ie what they accept). I'd then look for an instructing job for Winter 12/13.

The other option is to improve my skiing and look at doing the Anwarter somewhere and start that way, perhaps having also done a snowboard coach course over the summer (at least level 1, not necessarily level 2, might give me a little edge over others?).

Anybody any experience with any of this, or could recommend any other possible routes?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ALL (without exception) of the snowboard instructors I know within Austria, had to do the skiing Anwarter first - and most are skiers first and foremost. I haven't met a single instructor who is only snowboard qualified (well, there was one, but she had to do the skiing anwarter before she got ANY work - or even a proper job!) There are a few snowboard only schools, but by far far far your best chance of getting work relies on getting the ski anwarter (or that of whichever country you want to work), then the board one.

The good news is, the ski one is very very easy to pass - pretty much, you're only assessed on the things you will be teaching, so if you have the basics of parralel you will learn (easily) on the course enough to pass. You can then do the snowboard anwarter. I found the written test (in german) the hardest part - 'cos it was in German.

The only full snowboard school I've seen in action in Austria is http://www.board.at/en/ in Saalbach - in St Anton, the snowboard school was a (very very) minor part of the Ski School.

Good luck, but realistically, I think you're gonna have to do the ski stuff (in Austria at least).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know a few qualified snowboard instructors who are only snowboard instructors. Some of them can't ski and some of them learnt to ski afterwards so they could teach skiing as well to earn more money. Saying that, the girl who was snowboard instructor only last year in our ski school was busy the whole time last season.
Here's a link to information from the Tirol SkiLehrerverband about snowboard instructor courses. http://www.snowsporttirol.at/index.php?id=snowboard
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitter, You can also try here for info:

http://www.sbssv.at/en/welcome/

They link with a Germanteacher for you to do a crash course in skiing and ski teaching German.

Flangesax did his Anwärter with them last Easter at Saalbach.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so no chance of teaching in Austria on BASI qualifications ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with clarky999, there isn’t much work for snowboard teachers. If people want to buy something, then there will be other people will to sell it to them, so you can tell the interest by the available items for sale.

Eg. We have (during the low season) 49 ski instructors and 6 boarding teachers (who seem around in cafe most of the time). In the high season we have around 70 ski instructors and 1 extra boarding teaching.

With snowboarding people either don’t take lessons as they are too good, or they are just way to cool to take lessons when they really should.
(There is another alternative with I really don’t want to mention –
maybe boarding is, at a recreational level, really easy wink )

So, if you want to work, become a ski instrcutor - maybe with the ability to teaching boarding as well, but ski 1st.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
so no chance of teaching in Austria on BASI qualifications ?
Plenty of people do.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndAnotherThing.., yes you can but you usually have to "take" the Anwärter test in order to be covered by the insurance. It is fairly easy and many very highly qualified BASI instructors are still "only" anwärter just to ensure the coverage. An Anwärter has to be of the level of a BASI Level 1 and be able to communicate in German (although in reality you will never be expected to teach in German until you are fluent).

Are you thinking of teaching in Austria at some point? If you are, I have the contact details with a couple of useful people that you might be able to use. They know and understand the BASI gradings and courses as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, I know a few people who have taught in Mayrhofen as BASI 2 (and even 1 in one particular case) and none of them have the Anwärter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, rob@rar, Cheers. At some point I fancy sorting another season and Austria would be nice. Being able to work helps a bit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., I'm not sure how many hours they're getting outside of school holidays, but enough for them to return for three or four seasons.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sitter, there is a specific Snowboard Anwärter qualification in the Austrian system but according to my Austrian teaching stuff there is an introductory module within this course for introduction to skiing. I have the ski qualification and don't know anyone with the boarding equivalent so can't be more specific I'm afraid.

I did my Anwärter way back in 98 (way before BASI qualifications) and therefore have never had trouble getting work. It would appear that there is now more recognition of the BASI qualfications by the Austrians but I think you will find most of the ski schools will insist on the Anwärter if you are looking to work a full season. It might be the case that a few ski schools will employ you without it but I suspect the majority will want it even if you have other qualifications.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, it is not unknown, especially where there are a large number of English speaking clients such as in Mayrhofen. But the push is now to have at least the Anwärter in order for you to be covered by the professional insurance. For anyone who has BASI 2 or higher, it is a doddle doing the Anwärter course and really it is just familiarising the instructor with the teaching progression and the language. Although in reality, if you are not fluent in German, you will not be given German speaking groups.

I was told it is to do with the public liability insurance of the ski school. It is just easier for the ski school directors to say that the person has a recognised Austrian as well as other qualifications. It also ensures that the instructor is covered as well under Austrian employment law.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm realising that doing the skiing is going to be the best way about it, but maybe with something like a BASI1 done at a dome in the UK to give me a little more edge on the snowboard front over others having done the Anwarter.

Couple of other questions, all the Anwarter info seems very regional, as in you do in in one region to teach in that region, could I not, for example, do the course in the Tyrol and then work in Salzburgerland after?
Also, I'm guessing it'd help to have my own skis and boots?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue wrote:
rob@rar, it is not unknown, especially where there are a large number of English speaking clients such as in Mayrhofen.
Yes, I'm sure it will be different in schools with a smaller proportion of British clients.
ski holidays
Sitter wrote:
The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm realising that doing the skiing is going to be the best way about it, but maybe with something like a BASI1 done at a dome in the UK to give me a little more edge on the snowboard front over others having done the Anwarter.

Couple of other questions, all the Anwarter info seems very regional, as in you do in in one region to teach in that region, could I not, for example, do the course in the Tyrol and then work in Salzburgerland after?
Also, I'm guessing it'd help to have my own skis and boots?

I did the Tirol one, and do work in Salzburg - it hasn't been a problem.

What I will say, from my experience with the Tirol Schilehrerverband and my gf's experience with the Salzburg Schilehrerverband, is that the Salzburg one is much more helpful with any queries and communication, and I think I'm going to switch to them this year (as far as I'm aware, just a case of filling out a form).

With regards to BASI in Austria, I've heard of a few people doing it (on here), but all the instructors I've met (in St Anton and Saalbach) have done the anwarter - and in practise I think it would be so much less hassle sorting work if you have it. According to BASI, if you're below Level 3 ISIA, you have to do a written test in German to get your qualification recognised anyway: http://www.basi.org.uk/content/employment-austria.aspx (Download the step by step instructions).
ski holidays
I definitely know people working as ski instructors in Austria with BASI qualifications, different rules in different regions. I will try to find out about snowboarding.
snow conditions
Thanks again, quite a bit there for me to think about and options to look at. Heading down to the Ski Show next weekend as well so will browse and chat to some of the people on the relevant stands. Itching to get back on the snow now!
snow conditions
Sitter, I put your question to BASI's Snowboard Director and was told the following.

If someone has a BASI level 2 snowboard license you can work in Austria for a recognised ski school but employment policy does vary in different valleys. There are a number of BASI Snowboard Level 2s working in Austria who are purely snowboard.

You should contact a number of different ski schools to confirm what their policy is.

If you do not have a BASI Snowboard Level 2 then the Austrian system currently does vary from region to region. Some ski school systems will allow entry into the system via snowboarding and again you need to research locally with the regional ski schools.

Instruction part time or otherwise should not be attempted unless it is under the auspices of a recognised ski school.
latest report
FWIW, to say it again, your life will be much easier applying for jobs in Austria if you have their own qualifications. Might not be fair, or even strictly legal, but it's the truth. Really.

Also, if you want to carry on to higher levels, there are much fewer hoops to jump through, though that's probably less of a concern right now.
ski holidays
clarky999, that's my experience as well.

It's not as if they are short of their own candidates, so yes they tend to protect their own home-grown professionals. Same system all over the world, isn't it?

Local jobs for local folks, which I believe is a perfectly acceptable policy. The standard of language teaching in Austrian schools is generally very high and all the instructors I've met who teach non-Austrian clients have a very high level of English and are keen to improve all the time.
snow conditions
My experience of ski instructions in Austria is that during peak weeks at least as long as you got any qualification you'll get work. I did on a CSIA Level 1 in both Styria and Salzburgerland. My OH has canadian snowboard level 1 and was asked to teach locally by a ski school, but she didn't take up the offer. You can do CSIA in Andorra or of course Canada. But as other have said it's probably less hassle, (more legal?) to get the local badge, it seems the ski school policies change from school to school and how desperate they are.
snow conditions
Quote:

FWIW, to say it again, your life will be much easier applying for jobs in Austria if you have their own qualifications. Might not be fair, or even strictly legal, but it's the truth. Really.

+1. I've worked for a number of Austrian ski schools over the years and have seen how things work, and there are some really good points made in some of the posts above. There may well be instructors with other national qualifications working in some resorts but my experience has been that the Austrians still insist on the Anwärter (of which there are 3 types - ski, snowboard and dual) regardless of your other qualifications. I would not have been able to work for the schools I have without the Anwärter and St Anton has a pretty big English speaking client base!

I would contact the regional ski instructor associations http://www.skilehrer.at/index.php?id=landesverbaende to find out the exact requirements for their snowboard Anwärter with regards to whether you need to ski to a certain level too. If you apply to a ski school for a job and they are happy to organise the course for you (which appears to be the norm where I've worked), it is a way of achieving a teaching qualification cost effectively and one which makes you more employable.

As beanie1 states, things do vary regionally and from ski school to ski school so it is best to contact them directly.
snow report
Thanks again everybody. Since I'm starting from scratch qualification wise it makes sense to go with the ones from the country I'm wanting to work in, i.e the Anwaerter. The duel anwaerter sounds the best option if I can get on a course, looking on the snowsport Tirol site there aren't many of them. Just gonna get out there this Winter, chat to the local ski school and get an idea as to which they'd prefer.
ski holidays
Sitter, I'd give 'em a shout now, they can help you get on a course, and some even run the course pretty much for their own instructors (about 80% of my Anwaerter course in St Anton worked there afterwards).
latest report
Sitter, contact Flangesax and maybe the Salzburg Association as at least they are prepared to accept non-German speakers. They have an excellent crammer course to prepare you for the training and exams. You can contact the Chairman of the Salzburgerland association, a guy called Gerhard Sint who is really pro-active in getting non-Austrians on board.

Tirol, Vorarlberg and Steiermark don't even translate their websites.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy